What would you say the average age range on a cruise is?

crookedicat

I cruised a 19 day TA in April and I think I heard there was only 1 kid on board and it belonged to a crew member whose wife was on the cruise. Average age 50+ easily. A 4 day out of Galveston in June had a bunch of kids and 20-30 yr olds. A lot of teachers just out of school too.

Definitely depends on the destination and time of year. Usually for us in our early 40's we're in the middle.

We just did Carnival Freedom to Panama and Costa Rica and we were the babies. :D

There were scooters and walkers everywhere. Literally a parking lot outside the theater for shows.

We dubbed it "The Geriatric Cruise". We had a good time, of course it didn't impact our cruies at all, just very noticable. I've cruised Holland America and there were way more older people on the Carnival Freedom than I have ever seen on any cruise before. We were joking around saying "Party cruise line, my a$$!" :eek:

This is not the norm though.

Since we've been sailing the Pride a lot, we've noticed a different phenomenon that hasn't existed on other ships that we've sailed in the past. I figure it's largely because Baltimore is a "drive to" port, but I could be wrong. Each cruise that we've taken has had a predominent demographic represented....and the demographic has been different each cruise.

We've been on cruises that were mostly retired Caucasians, some that were predominently African-American, one that had a large population of college students, and some that have been very heavily attended by a particular state. I assume that there's some sort of marketing/offer that's being used to fill the ship that's specific to a different group. I suppose that could be a fleet wide strategy, so guessing a demographic for any particular cruise could be difficult.

Here are the complete demographic results from the 2008 Cruise Market Profile:

demographics.jpg

But that is of cruisers in general, not of Carnival cruisers. Carnival skews younger than HAL, and certainly the income level is lower than the typical Crystal cruisers... A Market profile won't say much about this line.

That said- I think it is difficult to even have a full view of who is on the ship with you. We sailed a week they said there were 900+ kids. I don't think I saw more than 30 the whole time. They were clearly not on the part of the ship we hang out on...

I have only been on 2 cruises so far. The first one was in Mid-May and I only saw 2 kids. One was in the room next to DH and myself and I only saw him for a second on the last day. My second cruise was in Mid-August and there were more children (school's out). Kids never bothered us and we never saw walkers, etc. with the elderly. If they had them, we didn't even notice. :) Our next cruise is in July(yes, there will be kids, but who cares). :)

Archived