Dress Code for Formal Nights?

calgarycruiser

We are booked to cruise on the Carnival Valor in February 2005. This is our first cruise. Since we both have to dress up for our 'day jobs', our idea of a vacation is usually shorts, t-shirts and sandals. While dressing up for a meal doesn't really appeal to us, is the meal served on these nights worth it? Also, would a dress shirt and tie plus dress pants pass? Also, we will have a 5 year old in tow... and were contimplating bringing him to one of the formal nights - would a nice shirt and pair of pants suffice? Are many kids this age even in the dining room for these nights? :)

The dining rooms are very elegant rooms, you will want to be dressed nicely every night for dinner. I'm not saying fancy formal clothing every night, but clothing you would go out in at a nice restaurant at night. Shorts, jeans, tank tops are not (supposedly) allowed in the dining room at night. Formal night is dressy, even for children. A dress shirt, tie and slacks will get you into the dining room on formal night, you may be in the minority.

However, there are options you can take advantage of. The buffet serves dinner, also room service. If you don't care to dress up your child, the kids club does have a special dinner for them, so the parents can enjoy an evening alone.

If I were bringing a 5 year old to formal night I would add a little vest or tie to the shirt/pants to dress it up. Dinner in the formal dining rooms takes quite a while so you'll have to guage whether or not it would be fun for your little one (and therefore you).

Thanks for the helpful words of advice. It always helps to hear it from someone who've 'been there, done that'. I think we'll put junior in the kids club, dress up, and enjoy the night(s). :)

Good for you. Formal night adds a lot to your crusie memories!

• 2 weeks later...

Archived