Cozumel D-I-Y Snorkel: Playa Corona, Playa Bella Vista or Sunset Beach?

lifesabeachbum

Hi!

Planning a DIY snorkel day in Cozumel while RCCL's Grandeur is docked. The three beaches I listed are rated Excellent for off shore snorkeling - and offer adequate but limited land facilities. Can I hear some rave reviews on any/all? Gracias for your time! ~Wendy~

June will be our 5th visit to Coz and we love to snorkel. We have DIY snorkeled the last 3 times. Several of the excursions drop people off in the waters off of Chankkanaab Park...so we decided to venture there ourselves. We go earlier in the day and there is little to no crowding. They have everything you would want there...nice beach, nice showers, limestone basin, iguanas and of course great snorkeling. Their beach is actually on a reef. You climb down into really deep water instantly. There are lots of fish...especially if you take a small box of corn flakes or the like with you. Once you open that bag look out...you are surrounded! Really awesome sight. This park is really worth the taxi fee and entrance fee of $19. (can get a discount coupon online for $1 off each). This is the same park that hosts Dolphin Discovery, so the facilities are wonderful, yet still not too touristy on the beach area. They have great food and drinks as well. A great way to spend the morning in Coz (waters are choppier in the afternoon). You can snorkel as long as you want, versus 30 minutes on an excursion. We will be there again in June...have already gotten out our snorkel gear! : )

http://www.cozumelparks.com/

You know what? We have been to Chankanaab Park ourselves - three years ago - and we did like it very much. It had all the attributes you mentioned so we should think about going back there. Playa Corona, according to Cozumel Insider, http://www.cozumelinsider.com/BEACHES , is just south of the park and shares the same reef. There is supposedly no charge to get in (a savings of $80) and little/no cruise passenger traffic - so I thought it might be worth a try. I appreciate your reminding me of a sure thing, though. : ) We loved Cozumel - glad you do, too! :o

Archived