Shopping for baby items in St. Thomas/St. Maarten?

Sean&Karen

I am always out to find great deals on baby items whether it be clothes, toys, unique items that I can't find in Canada, etc. I was just wondering if there are any stores specific to babies or has good baby items when we are in port?

Well, I haven't really looked, but there are plenty of small T-shirt and clothing shops in both ports that sell baby/kids' clothing. However, what I've seen appears to be tacky, cheap-looking, and overpriced. I've seen street vendors selling cheap toy items as well. I'm not familiar with any Baby-only stores, but then again, I haven't looked. Good luck!

BTW- visited your city about ten years ago and enjoyed the sights! Especially the Olympic venues! Our National Western Stock Show ranks right up there with your Calgary Stampede!

The last time we were in St. Maarten, we took a taxi to Marigot on the French side and went to the open air public market on the waterfront, and found the cutest handmade princess/fairy dress for our then 3 year-old (who is almost 6 now and still wears it), and if I recall, the same vendor also had some very cute, brightly coloured handmade pants, tops and overalls in baby and toddler sizes (which I managed to resist only because our daughter is very petite and they looked huge). The vendors there were very polite and not at all aggressive (and if you speak it, a little French goes a long way). And for mommy (i.e. me) and grandma, I found some lovely garnet bracelets for $20 ea. Bring cash (in US$) though, as if you pay for things via credit card, they'll charge in Euros and the exchange can be costly.

Archived