Uxmal or Chichen Itza

michelek68

We will be on the Carnival Escatasy ship in a few weeks going to Progesso. I was wondering which ruin people liked the best - Uxmal or Chichen Itza. It will be a bunch of girls on this trip ranging in age from 11 to 61.

Thanks for your help, Michele

Having been to both, I suggest Uxmal. To me it's the most impressive, prettiest and far less crowded.

Addded bonus: Much closer to Progreso. Use Autoprogreso rather than Carnival.

Take plenty of film or memory.

Hi Michelle,

I took the Uxmal Tour a few months ago and it was really amazing. It´s only $49 through autoprogresotours@hotmail.com . The ruins aren´t crowded and people were friendly. Chichen itza is full of vendors, I´ve never been there my friends told me that you don´t even have time to rest under the trees, ´cause vendors are all over the place.

Cy:D

Thanks for the help -- I have all ready emailed Autoprogresso a few months ago about Uxmal, but now that its getting closer I was starting to wonder if I did the right thing. I think everyone in my group is depending on me

Thanks again

The venders at Chichen Itza are pretty much in one area around the snack bar/store. They are certainly not "all over the place". They don't chase you down and make you buy from them. There are plenty of spots to take a break in the shade. If you go on an organized tour there is not much time to rest as they try to get the groups to see as much as possible in the short time that you will have there. It is impossable to see all of the Chichen Itza area in one day. I would recommend to anyone going to Chichen Itza take a bottle of water, it does get very hot and dry there. I have been there 4 times and discover something new each visit.

The venders at Chichen Itza are pretty much in one area around the snack bar/store. They are certainly not "all over the place". They don't chase you down and make you buy from them. There are plenty of spots to take a break in the shade. If you go on an organized tour there is not much time to rest as they try to get the groups to see as much as possible in the short time that you will have there. It is impossable to see all of the Chichen Itza area in one day. I would recommend to anyone going to Chichen Itza take a bottle of water, it does get very hot and dry there. I have been there 4 times and discover something new each visit.

I must've picked a bad day to visit. When I was there, a couple of years ago, there were vendors from the entrance to the opening where the Castillo could be viewed. There were vendors lining the path from the Castillo to the main cenote, and there were vendors from the Castillo to the area of the observatory.

The part I found humorous were the signs advising the it was illegal for the vendors to be there and not to purchase anything from them.

I agree it is an amazing site, but when I was there, there were vendors seemingly everywhere.

We were there on 2/15/10 and the venders were EVERYWHERE we went and very annoying ! Yes they would move on when you told them no, but 5 seconds later another one was in your face.I asked our tour guide if he could do something about them--could not even hear him talk for the venders.We often thought we would like to take a weeks vacation and tour Chichen Itza,but two hours and a half with the fine Mexican sales people were enough for us---we won't ever return.Chichen Itza could be a very special place if the the Mexican Government would control the venders.

I must've picked a bad day to visit. When I was there, a couple of years ago, there were vendors from the entrance to the opening where the Castillo could be viewed. There were vendors lining the path from the Castillo to the main cenote, and there were vendors from the Castillo to the area of the observatory.

The part I found humorous were the signs advising the it was illegal for the vendors to be there and not to purchase anything from them.

I agree it is an amazing site, but when I was there, there were vendors seemingly everywhere.

We were there on 2/15/10 and the venders were EVERYWHERE we went and very annoying ! Yes they would move on when you told them no, but 5 seconds later another one was in your face.I asked our tour guide if he could do something about them--could not even hear him talk for the venders.We often thought we would like to take a weeks vacation and tour Chichen Itza,but two hours and a half with the fine Mexican sales people were enough for us---we won't ever return.Chichen Itza could be a very special place if the the Mexican Government would control the venders.

That is a shame. But, I guess they have changed the rules for the venders in the last year (or just not enforcing them). They used to be very strict about where the venders were allowed. But like hdawson said Uxmal is better is some ways, closer to Progreso and much less crowded.

Hi Michelle,

I took the Uxmal Tour a few months ago and it was really amazing. It´s only $49 through autoprogresotours@hotmail.com . The ruins aren´t crowded and people were friendly. Chichen itza is full of vendors, I´ve never been there my friends told me that you don´t even have time to rest under the trees, ´cause vendors are all over the place.

Cy:D

You were right, The Uxmal Tour was Fantastic!!!

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks again for everyone's help. We did the Uxmal tour and we loved it. The people in my group included my mom who is in her 60s and my girls who are 11 and 13. It was a very nice and relaxing place

• 2 weeks later...

I would of liked a bit more time there to look around

Thanks again for everyone's help. We did the Uxmal tour and we loved it. The people in my group included my mom who is in her 60s and my girls who are 11 and 13. It was a very nice and relaxing place

• 1 month later...

Take one of the massage ladies with you on the Uxmal bus and have her give everyone a massage en route. OK I am just kidding; get a massage before you go on your cruise at home! You're on a table in the middle of a crowded beach being rubbed down - what's relaxing about that? (just wondering) :)

Archived