Altun Ha/River Wallace from Miracle??

stlrboo

Have decided this is the excursion we want to book for this coming April. Appears that this excursion is not done locally, but must be booked through Carnival. Have tried repeatedly to book the three of us on the Carnival website but have been unable to do so. Is there a time problem for this tour, from the Miracle, as I believe daylight savings time comes into play? Or is it just that the website isn't 'up to snuff' yet? Miracle is in port from 730 to 430 and the tour is 830 to 230. I would think that would be reasonable time to make the tour. Anyone been able to book on-line for this excursion, and/or know of a local vendor who may offer a similar tour?

We were able to book this tour on the Carnival website for our February cruise with no problems. However, in addition to you, a lot of other people ssem to be having problems using their online shore excursion reservation system, so perhaps I was just lucky.

As for private options for this specific excursion, I did a lot of research and didn't find any (this is one of the few "truly exclusive" excursions Carnival offers in any port).

There are credible local firms that offer trips to Alta Hun, but those are all by bus or van, none include a boat trip on the river like the Carnival excursion.

However, if you really want a boat and ruins trip, there there is a private firm that offers a van/river boat trip to the Lamanai Mayan Ruins (which are northwest of and farther away from Belize City than Alta Hun).

http://belizecruiseexcursions.com/Lamanai_Belize.htm

The positives of this trip? The Lamanai ruins are larger and in a more "Indiana Jones" rain forest setting than Alta Hun, and the river trip is supposed to be nice.

The downsides? Given the distances that have to be covered, you roar up the river in a speedboat doing 45mph, which shall we say limits your ability to see/enjoy the wildlife. Also, the excursion runs around 7 hours, so you have to shove your way onto one of the earliest tenders AND also be comfortable with "cutting it somewhat close" in making it back to the ship (if it's on schedule -- which in all likelihood it would be -- you'll get to the last tender, but any problems and....) At $75, it's also more expensive than the Carnival Alta Hun trip.

We were able to book this tour on the Carnival website for our February cruise with no problems. However, in addition to you, a lot of other people ssem to be having problems using their online shore excursion reservation system, so perhaps I was just lucky.

I'm glad to hear that you were able to book this excursion from the Miracle, so the only other question might be the 'daylight savings time', or just that the excursion isn't loaded into their system for April 22 yet. The 'dst' shouldn't be a problem, as this excursion seems to be strictly Carnival controlled. I'll keep trying once a week and see what luck I have.. :)

I e-mailed Carnival as well as speaking with someone at their website, but rec'd no help from them. :(

The Lamanai also looked interesting, as well as one where people have to raft across a river on a 'hand-drawn' boat to reach the 'ruins'.. The 9 hour time period in port makes both of those iffy at best.. Really don't want to have to fly back to Miami, and possibly miss my anniversary dinner at Nick & Nora's with the Mrs. ;)

Thanks for the info... :D

Archived