Istanbul with toddlers

steve_maureen

Istanbul is a tough city with a stroller. It's an ancient city and pavement in the historical sites, which are the most popular, are very rough cobblestone. You may not be allowed into the religious sites with the strollers, so you may not see the Blue Mosque or the Hagia Sophia. You must be clothed properly as this is a Muslim area, so no shorts for anyone or tops without sleeves. The traffic is horrible and it's not a city for walking, at all.

Do not drink the liquid from the men walking around with the large silver flasks, you have no idea what's in that stuff, and do not eat the chicken pudding, no matter how nice that sounds.

Do not drink the liquid from the men walking around with the large silver flasks, you have no idea what's in that stuff, and do not eat the chicken pudding, no matter how nice that sounds.

LMAO, what a warning. The images I have in my head now are so amusing.

Has anyone been to Istanbul with kids in the 2 to 3 year range? How easy was it to get around with a stoller? Were restaurants reasonably welcoming? Any warnings or advice?

Thanks,

Hello Steve,

Istanbul is actually a great city for a child. However, you have to be careful about your transportation. I agree with Kitty9 that this is NOT a city friendly for strollers - most ancient cities are not. Ger ready to do some heavy lifting once in a while. However, if you can take a taxi to the HAGIA SOPHIA, there are several wonderful sites within walking distance. You can visit this wonderful mosque, then walk to the underground Roman Cistern nearby (5 minutes walk), and try several restaurants in the area; most of them are very friendly to children. Just see where the local families are eating during lunch time. If you pick a buffet restaurant, you can SEE the food that is displayed. Many restaurants however, do not have high chairs for children. So, just sit them up on your lap or ask for a "cushion" and they will provide it; it is kind of like a booster seat.

It is also easy to get to the Bosforous river, where you can take a local boat (about $5 USDollars) for a wonderful view of Istambul; get off at the Palace you see on your left by the river bank; it is a wonderful way to experience Istambul. Then, wait for the boat coming back to the main port near the HAIGA SOPHIA, and visit the BASAAR. It is a feast for hte senses, but keep an eye on your wallet and your possessions.

Enjoy your trip. You should end up with a wonderful set of pictures that inclulde your son.

LMAO, what a warning. The images I have in my head now are so amusing.

The silver flasks contain some kind of "tea", but God only knows. The chicken pudding is a whole different story. It's served as a dessert, but when you realize what it's made from-----YUCK !! It's raw, pulverized/emulsified chicken, with added sugar and honey. No, it's not cooked at all, and it's totally gross.

Archived