Pearl 3/6-13 review: staterooms 8552 & 8554

Darthdaddy

We were in staterooms 8552 & 8554.

These are obstructed view cabins. 8052 & 8054 are indentical, but starboard, rather than port. My observations about 8552 & 8554 should be just as applicable to the cabins on the other side of the ship.

Quite simply, I was too clever by half when I booked these cabins. The OV cabins on deck 8 are obstructed by the lifeboats hanging above deck 7. From the Pearl's deckplan it appears that there are no lifeboats in front of 8550, 8552, or 8554. I booked our cabins thinking that I had scored a mostly-clear ocean view at a significantly reduced fare. When I posted a request for info on these boards, someone responded that there was a little boat that was not shown on the deckplan, but that would, in fact, block our view. That post was accurate. There is a funny little life boat (looks like a child's bath toy) that essentially blocks the full view from 8552. 8554 has a much less bstructed view, but it is not fully clear. So much for my shrewd and canny research.

Since a catwalk allowing crew to access the lifeboats for maintenance runs along the outside wall, you may glance out to see someone outside your window. This happened a couple of times during our cruise, but was not a big deal. Since deck 7 is a promenade deck, there are exterior lights on all night. This is not really a problem either, because the blackout curtains do their job.

Other staterooms listed as obstructed seem to be true to the deckplan, i.e., the lifeboats seem to match up pretty well. One caveat, 8550 (and 8050) show nothing blocking them on the deckplan. In reality they have NO view. They get some diffuse natural light, but have NO view of the water.

We had verandah staterooms on Disney and an inside on our prior NCl cruise. Sure I love having the verandah. At the same time I didn't have any problem with the inside cabin. Was it worth it to have the daylight? That's one of those things I can't answer for you. The rest of my family preferred having the natural light, even though there was little actual view. I would have been ok with the inside. There was very little difference in price, so I guess it was worth it. If the cost differential was even $100/pp, I would opt for the inside or bite the bullet and jump to a balconey.

Next: common areas

These are obstructed view cabins. 8052 & 8054 are indentical, but starboard, rather than port. My observations about 8552 & 8554 should be just as applicable to the cabins on the other side of the ship.

Quite simply, I was too clever by half when I booked these cabins. The OV cabins on deck 8 are obstructed by the lifeboats hanging above deck 7. From the Pearl's deckplan it appears that there are no lifeboats in front of 8550, 8552, or 8554. I booked our cabins thinking that I had scored a mostly-clear ocean view at a significantly reduced fare. When I posted a request for info on these boards, someone responded that there was a little boat that was not shown on the deckplan, but that would, in fact, block our view. That post was accurate. There is a funny little life boat (looks like a child's bath toy) that essentially blocks the full view from 8552. 8554 has a much less bstructed view, but it is not fully clear. So much for my shrewd and canny research.

Since a catwalk allowing crew to access the lifeboats for maintenance runs along the outside wall, you may glance out to see someone outside your window. This happened a couple of times during our cruise, but was not a big deal. Since deck 7 is a promenade deck, there are exterior lights on all night. This is not really a problem either, because the blackout curtains do their job.

Other staterooms listed as obstructed seem to be true to the deckplan, i.e., the lifeboats seem to match up pretty well. One caveat, 8550 (and 8050) show nothing blocking them on the deckplan. In reality they have NO view. They get some diffuse natural light, but have NO view of the water.

We had verandah staterooms on Disney and an inside on our prior NCl cruise. Sure I love having the verandah. At the same time I didn't have any problem with the inside cabin. Was it worth it to have the daylight? That's one of those things I can't answer for you. The rest of my family preferred having the natural light, even though there was little actual view. I would have been ok with the inside. There was very little difference in price, so I guess it was worth it. If the cost differential was even $100/pp, I would opt for the inside or bite the bullet and jump to a balconey.

Any pic

Thanks

Sorry, no pix.

I thought about pix, when I started to write my comments.

Of the 3 cabins (8550, 8552, 8554) there is no question that 8554 is the least obstructed. The same would be true of the mirror image on starboard.

1. Do not worry about lights outside being on all night. This was NOT a problem.

2. Do not book these cabins, if a full ocean view is important to you.

3. Book these cabins, if a bit of natural light during the day is important to you. My wife really liked this, I didn't care.

4. How much is the natural light worth? That's for each of us to determine.

• 3 years later...

hi darthdaddy. I have a ? if you don't mind. we are 3 fluffy gals going to be in 8052 on the pearl. we are not so much worried about the view as how much space we have in the cabin. do you remember if the cabins had a pull-down bed in them or was there 3 beds going across the floor. I am starting to panic that we will be like sardines :confused: in the beds. we all need our space to be comfortable. can you give me any help with this delema we have. I would really appreciate it. thanks a lot.

Edited by dustyroad

• 1 year later...
I just called ncl and they said it has the pull-down bed. im so relieved too know that. :)

Hello Dusty,

How was 8052 on the Pearl and what was the view like, if any? We are booked in that same room in May.

Thanks,

Jean

Edited by NewEnglandNANA

Thank you for posting this. I am booked in 8562 for Alaska. I am hoping the deck plans are correct for this cabin since it appears I may have some view between the life boats. There has been another thread on here recently discussing some of the obstructed ocean view cabins on the Jewel as having frosted glass instead of clear windows. Since the Jewel is a sister ship to the Pearl there was some speculation that the same thing may have been done to the Pearl. Did you observe any frosted glass?