Should we bring a backpack carrier for our toddler on our Mediterranian cruise?

JulieMac

We have a 19 month old girl and are leaving next week for a European vacation including a week cruise on MSC Magnifica out of Venice. We had planned to bring a travel stroller, but looking at the ports of call in Istanbul, Ephesus, Dubrovnik, and of course Venice, I'm worried that a stroller will be useless. DH is reluctant to bring ANOTHER thing to carry (in addition to all our luggage), but I'm wondering if the backpack carrier would be more useful in our ports of call. Anyone have any experience with this?

Thanks,

Julie

Absolutely, yes, take it. I am a huge stroller fan and have taken a heavy duty Graco Duoglider all over the world, but it would have met its match at Ephesus, Athens, etc., (basicaly anywhere ancient). I carried one of my five year olds on my shoulders through a lot of our Med ports. I completely get wanting to travel light, but I'd take lots of other stuff out before the backpack carrier.

Best,

Mia

Not sure what your ports are like and my kids are older, but we used our backpack carrier tons when we traveled. One thing to think about that may depend on what your ports are like, strollers don't do well in sand and a backpack would be easier in a crowed market or streets.

So glad you are taking her she is lucky to get to experience travel at a young age!

I would definitely go with the backpack. My husband ending up carrying our stroller through much of Venice, Dubrovnik and Ephesus. People actually started commenting on the ship that he was the Dad always carrying the stroller. I wish we would have had a backpack, we purchased a pretty expensive stroller for the trip but it met it's match in several places.

Take it! You may not use it, but it could also come in very handy.. Your daughter will NOT always want to sit in the stroller, might as well give her an option, plus as you said, it will be much easier in certain areas to just take her on the carrier than on the stroller.

Thank you all for your comments! We are going to take it with us. My daughter is already very excited about it, shouting "Packpack!" every time she sees it and wants to go for a ride. Even though bringing both seems like overkill, I'm sure we will find both necessary.

Archived