Katakolon taxi cost

We (2 of us) will be in Katakolon from 8 AM to 1 PM on May 31st on the Magnifica and would like to see both Olympia and the Mercouri Winery, spending an hour or so at each. I realize many will think we’re short changing ourselves with just an hour at Olympia, but we’ve been to many ruins and are flexible enough to change our plans and stay longer if it moves us. I have contacted several local taxi/tour companies and they are charging upwards of $100 an hour. We are now thinking we will just hire a taxi at the pier. Does anyone know:

1. How available taxis will be considering the Crown Princess will also be in port an hour before us?

2. What should we expect to pay for a taxi by the hour?

We hired a taxi in Katakolon 2 years ago. It was about 50 Euros an hour plus a tip for a 2.5 hour trip to the ruins. We had to bargain hard for that price. The first guy wanted 100 Euros. When you leave the ship and head off the pier there is a parking lot about 100 feet away. The taxi's line up there. The drive to Olympia is 30 minutes. You can tour the ruins in 45 minutes if you hurry and do not go to the museum. Nearly everything is just a pile of rocks now. You get a free map of the ruins at the booth where you buy tickets. I am not familiar with the winery.

We hired a taxi in Katakolon 2 years ago. It was about 50 Euros an hour plus a tip for a 2.5 hour trip to the ruins. We had to bargain hard for that price. The first guy wanted 100 Euros. When you leave the ship and head off the pier there is a parking lot about 100 feet away. The taxi's line up there. The drive to Olympia is 30 minutes. You can tour the ruins in 45 minutes if you hurry and do not go to the museum. Nearly everything is just a pile of rocks now. You get a free map of the ruins at the booth where you buy tickets. I am not familiar with the winery.

We will be in Olympia the same day as you (from the Crown) and just hired a driver for 6-7 hours. We are the same as you, wanted to see Olympia for an hour and then the winery and possibly the beach depending on time. We were quoted 210 euro for 6 hours (and 230 for 7 hrs). Actually, we were hoping to find another couple to come along and split the cost but the majority of the people on the Crown Roll call want to spend the day at Olympia.

If you happen to be interested in joining us, please let me know and maybe we can arrange something. Or if you prefer to hire your own driver, I can refer you to the website we used.

Have a wonderful trip!

• 1 year later...

I am planning my trip soon and was wondering how the car rental went? Was it an easy drive? How was the parking at Olympia? I have heard mixed reviews and am not sure if to pay the extra money to hire a taxi or rent a car. What is your recommendation?

We will be there next week and I booked a rental car at the port for 70 euros for the entire day. Looks like the drive is very easy. Rented through Avis.

I am planning my trip soon and was wondering how the car rental went? Was it an easy drive? How was the parking at Olympia? I have heard mixed reviews and am not sure if to pay the extra money to hire a taxi or rent a car. What is your recommendation?

http://rentacarkatakolo.gr/new/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=4&Itemid=4&lang=en

http://www.taxikatakolon.com/index.php

Archived