Is anything different on repositioning cruises?

bcco

Hello all, please forgive my newbie ignorance if this has been addressed before. We are on the April 11th, Miami to NYC 13 night Jewel cruise. I have been lurking on this board for a while and enjoyed reading the posts and ship reviews. I'm wondering if most of the information I've found here, like entertainment artists, laundry/dining/drink specials, etc. will apply to our cruise. IOW, what will change when the ship moves its home port from Miami to NYC? Thanks much, Barry

We have done two of these. Nothing special comes to mind right off. Just more days of relaxation, drinking and eating.

Some shows get repeated. Since they have broken up the same ole week after week routine, I think the crew likes it better.

On our previous reposition cruises we have had different entertainers get on and off the ship in various port through the itinerary. We heard later they were doing this to board other ships that were coming along in the next day or two.

Last year we had Jane Powell, Matilda and Patrick Murray (a ventriloquist) and a banjo player that were also doing shows on the Spirit and Jewel which were repositioning at about the same time.

Other than that not much will change when they move to their new home port. You will have the sam production shows and entertainers they had before unless people contracts run out and new people are brought on board.

PE

There are no differences worth worrying about. You might see a menu or two repeated but that has more to do with the length of your cruise than the fact it is a repo.

I have done two repos so far. It is the exact same cruise experience in every important aspect.

They do tend to attract a slightly older, less active, crowd for some reason. Not sure if that is consistent with most repos or just the two I was on.

We did the Dawn Repo last Nov. 1. It was 14 night of pure heaven. I think the crew are much more relaxed (in a good way) and attentive to the cruisers, since we were on board for 14 nights rather than the usual of about 7. We get to know the crew much better and they get to know us much better. Lots more R&R for the passengers too. The crew like it more (at least this is what several of the crew members told us) because they get to visit many new ports, rather than the same old thing.

I would not hesitate doing another repo cruise. I think they are great.

We did the Jewel Oct. 09 Repo NY-FL 14 nights. It was wonderful. Good ports and lots of sea days...very relaxing, especially the freestyle dining aspect....It went up a bit since October, a bit more $$ for 2 less days, so I'm not sure we'll do it this coming Oct unless there's a price drop. There is also air fair for 2 from NY to consider and the luggage free and BAGS problem...Time will tell. Would really love to do it again, even though we just came back from the ports.

Archived