Solstice for teens?

Mustang1956

We are considering traveling on the Solstice this summer. There will be three teenagers in our group (13-14). What is your opinion on whether the Solstice will have enough to entertain them? They are very well behaved and will be monitored. No "roaming the ship" for these guys.

We are sailing the Solstice in June with our two grandchildren 10 and 12. The 12 year old is grouped with the teens I believe. I will let you know what I can when we get back. We do not have the good fortune to live near our grandchildren so they have said they want to spend their time with us and not so much with the "programs". Believe me, our grandchildren are "very" well behaved also, they do not even know what "roaming the ship alone" would be! :D ;) They will be in an adjoining cabin next to us and I told them "you can NOT go out on your balcony without one of us!" Our granddaughter said, "OK, that is reasonable, Grandma."

But for teens, I understand Solstice has lots of video games, Teen Late Night Dancing, Pool Olympics, Sports Tournaments, Play Stations, etc.

So I think there will be plenty for them to do. I am a little concerned about letting my 12 year old granddaughter loose with 12-17 year olds!:eek:

I don't know if you can tell from the little thumbnail, but she is really cute!

Have a GREAT voyage!!!!:D

On our November Solstice cruise with our 14YO DD, there was plenty to keep her and the friends she met on board occupied -- they swam, they played lawn games, they watched on-demand free movies, they were enthralled with the Hot Glass Show. There is not as much "glitz" as some of the RCCI ships she had been on in the past, but she did not seem to miss any of it.

The Teen program on our cruise was pretty much non-existent. The counselors in the teen area really did nothing to try to engage the kids - so when no one showed up for a scheduled event, they didn't have to do anything. The kids program also allowed several 10 and 11YOs to "age up" out of the kids program to the teen program. So with "little kids" in the teen club, most of the teens on board avoided the club -- unfortunate.

My DD met up with some other girls her age and that is all she ever really needs to enjoy herself. Our cruise was particularly port intensive (Med) and she didn't have too much time to spare anyway.

Hope you and your kids have a great cruise. The Solstice is a beautiful ship.

Your teenagers, will have the most fun meeting other teens from different areas of the the country. Most kids that age prefer to do their own thing on their own schedule. They will meet other kids initially at the pool or at the opening activites of the club. Then most go do their own thing. Just set up their guidelines re meeting up with you and keeping in touch.

You know that there aren't any of the bells and whistles on Solstice as you'd find on other more family marketed lines. Knowing that ahead of time, will tell you alot.

Have a great cruise!!

Archived