Countdown to price increase - wow

gargoyle999

As a consumer I certainly want prices to be as low as possible. However, if I take a step back, I can understand Carnival was to charge as much as possible. Ok fine, that's how it works. But when they announced two months in advance there would be a price increase I rolled my eyes...

now, a countdown clock to a price increase on the homepage? A bit much.

It's really all just a gimmick anyway. Prices go up all the time without any special announcements.

First week of Feb I booked a cruise on the Splendor for next Feb. About 3 weeks later the price went up 11%! Much higher % than the 5% they are warning about for June, July, Aug. cruises.

Maybe in a few weeks we'll get another warning about the Fall price increase! :rolleyes:

I agree....a bit much. And I also don't understand the price increase "up to 5%"......well our Miracle cruise in feb 2011 has gone up 25% ($884 to $1134 today) in advance of their "up to 5%"......what is going on? I guess they want to sail future ships not filled to capacity.....then have to lower them to bargain basement before sailing to fill up?? The economy is NOT better...what are they thinking?

I agree....a bit much. And I also don't understand the price increase "up to 5%"......well our Miracle cruise in feb 2011 has gone up 25% ($884 to $1134 today) in advance of their "up to 5%"......what is going on?

Summer 2010 sailings price increase is capped at up to 5%. Everything else has no ceiling! ha ha.... :rolleyes::p

Don't know reasoning behind it, but ccl stock has been going up every since the announcement....:rolleyes:

They've reinstated the dividend and I guess there are trying to boost those first quarter sales. They are a public company. The bottom line is what matters.

Good customer service will keep the customers coming back.

We're booked on the Freedom in July (E. Caribbean). Last night about 9:30 I checked prices and it had went down! I called CC immediately, our rate was reduced by $260! Today, it's up a bit but not back where it was. Our lucky day!:D

Marketing ploy, no doubt about it! The prices are always changing. You could probably poll dozens of ppl on any given cruise and find that they all paid a different price.

I'd be booking something now, regardless, if my finances/vacation time were a bit more stable, but I'm looking at it the same way I do all other "last chance" "greatest sale ever" gimmicks. There'll always be another sale...

So if I book now for Jan. 2011, and I see a price decrease, will they refund my difference, or at least give me OBC?

You can get a price decrease up until your final payment due date. After that unless you are booked with early saver you can only get upgrades if they room categories above you go low enough.

The "price increase" warning DID affect my booking - Since around December, I started eyeing a May 2010 cruise on the Legend. It didn't really matter what date, just as long as it was in May. I figured since our dates to cruise were so flexible, that I'd wait until the last minute and then get a bargain 3 or 4 weeks before sailing.

Well..About 3 weeks ago, I saw the price increase warning, realized it wasn't for May cruises, but still...I got nervous. Also, noticed the prices for May cruises on the Legend weren't budging...SO, the price increase intially scared me and a "pack and go" rate I saw a few weeks ago sealed the deal. Even though the price increase won't effect May cruises I have seen my rate of a few weeks ago ($469) increase to a current price of $659! :eek:

Many companies operate on a different fiscal year than the calendar year. This could just be a marketing ploy to increase fourth quarter sales. Then for a few months they increase by 5 to 10%, using pack n go rates to fill any unbooked slots.

Archived