6 ships in Port/Nassau....which excursion should we book?

live.love.cruise

Hello,

I posted this question over on the Bahamas board but received no responses...so I thought I might have some luck over here! :)

We (me/hubby/5 yr old) will be in Nassau in early June...according to the cruise calendar there will be 6 ships in port that day (16, 206 people :eek: ). I stayed on the ship during my last visit but this time I'd like to do something with our daughter.

Which excursion would you suggest....would like to avoid the crowds as much as possible. BCH, Blue Lagoon or Blackbeard Stingray? Second question…If we pick Blackbeard, can you recommend something else to do afterwards? The tour is only 3 ½ hrs so we would be at the port by 1 (ship in port til midnight).

Thanks in advance for your help!

Hello,

I posted this question over on the Bahamas board but received no responses...so I thought I might have some luck over here! :)

We (me/hubby/5 yr old) will be in Nassau in early June...according to the cruise calendar there will be 6 ships in port that day (16, 206 people :eek: ). I stayed on the ship during my last visit but this time I'd like to do something with our daughter.

Which excursion would you suggest....would like to avoid the crowds as much as possible. BCH, Blue Lagoon or Blackbeard Stingray? Second question…If we pick Blackbeard, can you recommend something else to do afterwards? The tour is only 3 ½ hrs so we would be at the port by 1 (ship in port til midnight).

We have done Blackbeards and enjoyed it. It is a short walk to the pier once you clear the port area. It is a 20 minute boat ride or more over to the island.

If you want to do something when you return, I would suggest Adastra Gardens. You can take a cab, a bus, or walk about a mile. We spent about 2 hours watching all the animals. They are in wire enclosures, which I found to be pretty spacious and the animals all appeared well cared for. My older son liked feeding the loris and the flamingo show was cute.

Your other option, since you have a long stay is to drop the money for Atlantis and enjoy the waterpark, dig etc. It would be well worth it for a long day. But with that many people in port, I would book through the cruiseline - they might sell out!

Hello,

I would book BCH as soon as possible through the excursion site that deals with the bahamas. My 4 1/2 year old loved it last week.

We have done Blackbeards and enjoyed it. It is a short walk to the pier once you clear the port area. It is a 20 minute boat ride or more over to the island.

If you want to do something when you return, I would suggest Adastra Gardens. You can take a cab, a bus, or walk about a mile. We spent about 2 hours watching all the animals. They are in wire enclosures, which I found to be pretty spacious and the animals all appeared well cared for. My older son liked feeding the loris and the flamingo show was cute.

Your other option, since you have a long stay is to drop the money for Atlantis and enjoy the waterpark, dig etc. It would be well worth it for a long day. But with that many people in port, I would book through the cruiseline - they might sell out!

Thanks for the suggestions.

Atlantis was my first choice BUT it's $395 through cruiseline & $350 if I book a room @ Comfort Suites...way too much for one day @ the beach! :eek:

I will keep Adastra Gardens in mind if we pick Blackbeard.

I would book BCH as soon as possible through the excursion site that deals with the bahamas. My 4 1/2 year old loved it last week.

Great...that's what I needed to hear. I think BCH is the winner because of location and price....seems like a great deal! Do you know if you're able to exit & re-enter? I probably wouldn't do this but hubby might.....

Thank you.

Did you read this thread here....

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1133263

It pretty much lays out all of those excursions.

And I guess with a 5 year old, my question is, why would you need to do more than one tour? :D

Believe me, I've done these tours with a 5 year old. The kids are exhausted and just want to head back to the ship and relax. So no need to run off to another destination.

You might want to consider going to the British Colonial Hilton for the day, if you enjoy a beach day. It's within walking distance of the pier. I think we paid $25.00 per person (four adults), and that included towels and beach chairs. There's also a fresh-water pool (smallish) and a restaurant, and clean restrooms. We were lucky to get a beautiful, sunny day, and saw a number of shells and starfish in the water. The beach water is pretty shallow, and very calm. You can do this as a ship excursion (costs more, but I think it includes lunch). We had as wonderful day, and there were four other ships in port besides the RCI Jewel, which we were on. It was not crowded at all. They also rented water mats, but we didn't get them. The restaurant food was very good, but pricy. We brought our own water bottles with us. Hope you have a great time!

Did you read this thread here....

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1133263

It pretty much lays out all of those excursions.

And I guess with a 5 year old, my question is, why would you need to do more than one tour? :D

Believe me, I've done these tours with a 5 year old. The kids are exhausted and just want to head back to the ship and relax. So no need to run off to another destination.

Thanks for the link....good information. I have one question about one of your posts in that thread. You mentioned a wild Ray at the beach....I thought the rays were harmless, no? I almost convinced my husband to go and now I read this, lol. He is freaked out cause of Steve Irwin...and a few years ago a guy staying at our hotel in Grand Cayman was stung by a Ray and his arm was red and swollen....

Although I'd like to experience the rays the tour time is too short...on the following day we will be at sea(boring) so I would like to spend as much time as I can off the ship in Nassau.

You might want to consider going to the British Colonial Hilton for the day, if you enjoy a beach day. It's within walking distance of the pier. I think we paid $25.00 per person (four adults), and that included towels and beach chairs. There's also a fresh-water pool (smallish) and a restaurant, and clean restrooms. We were lucky to get a beautiful, sunny day, and saw a number of shells and starfish in the water. The beach water is pretty shallow, and very calm. You can do this as a ship excursion (costs more, but I think it includes lunch). We had as wonderful day, and there were four other ships in port besides the RCI Jewel, which we were on. It was not crowded at all. They also rented water mats, but we didn't get them. The restaurant food was very good, but pricy. We brought our own water bottles with us. Hope you have a great time!

I love beach days! Thanks...I think BCH is the winner. I like the fact that we can take our time in the morning and have breakfast on the ship.....then stroll over to the hotel at our leisure to enjoy a day at the beach.

I'm glad to hear that it wasn't crowded even with five ships.

Thanks everyone for helping me decide!

Thanks for the link....good information. I have one question about one of your posts in that thread. You mentioned a wild Ray at the beach....I thought the rays were harmless, no? I almost convinced my husband to go and now I read this, lol. He is freaked out cause of Steve Irwin...and a few years ago a guy staying at our hotel in Grand Cayman was stung by a Ray and his arm was red and swollen....

Although I'd like to experience the rays the tour time is too short...on the following day we will be at sea(boring) so I would like to spend as much time as I can off the ship in Nassau.

There are two sides at Blackbeards, the side that you swim with the rays (the debarbed calm ones) and the side that you just swim in the ocean and relax on the beach. Well that's the wide open ocean. ;) And that's where nature and the real wildlife can come in and say hi. My kids who were leery of the debarbed tame stingrays started chasing a stingray on the regular beach side. I looked down and said "Hey ladies, that's a REAL WILD sting ray!" :eek:

If your husband is afraid of the whole Steve Irwin thing, then don't tell him that the Bahamas has not only wild stingrays but is also one of the most populated shark waters in the world....lol.

I love beach days! Thanks...I think BCH is the winner. I like the fact that we can take our time in the morning and have breakfast on the ship.....then stroll over to the hotel at our leisure to enjoy a day at the beach.

I'm glad to hear that it wasn't crowded even with five ships.

Thanks everyone for helping me decide!

I took pictures of British Colonial Hilton on our way to Blackbeards -- so this is the BCH beach. It opens to the port and you can see the ships (as you can see in the last picture, I turned the camera and took the shot of the ships). I don't know if BCH is the nicest beach in Nassau (jmo). But it is the closest to the port.

062.jpg

063.jpg

053.jpg

056.jpg

Thanks for the quick response and pictures. More good info...I will keep it all to myself lol

Ok, BCH not the best, huh...I like nice beaches...I think I read somewhere in the link you provided that you thought Blackbeard was better than Castaway Cay? I loved Castaway Cay... is it possible that there is a better place? Lol

Did you feel like you got your moneys worth at Blackbeard...seems like they should allow more than 2 and a half hours on the island.

Would you say that Blackbeard beach is better than Blue Lagoon? I think BCH is off the list because it's not the best lol

BCH still has a pretty beach (we loved it, and had also been to Paradise Island beach), and it is the easiest to get to, and very clean. Actually, we thought it was very pretty, although not big. The pictures will give you a good idea. It's just an easy thing for young kids. Now, we've done 15 years of cruising on a privately-owned tall ship, and have visited some of the most private and pristine beaches in the Caribbean! (Walking on Barbuda beaches and picking up tiny pink shells without seeing anyone! The Grenadines! )This is not a bad deal for young kids, and offers a great day for less money than an excursion. Castaway Cay is in Eleuthera, Bahamas, (far south of Nassau), and is where RCI, NCL, Princess, and HAL also have private islands. We normally did Paradise Island, which was great 20 years ago! Not so much now. Just keep in mind that ship excursions contract with local vendors, and with six ships in port, some of the excursions may be filled early. Six ships may all use the same venue. Whatever you decide, I'm sure you'll have a great time!

BCH still has a pretty beach (we loved it, and had also been to Paradise Island beach), and it is the easiest to get to, and very clean. Actually, we thought it was very pretty, although not big. The pictures will give you a good idea. It's just an easy thing for young kids. Now, we've done 15 years of cruising on a privately-owned tall ship, and have visited some of the most private and pristine beaches in the Caribbean! (Walking on Barbuda beaches and picking up tiny pink shells without seeing anyone! The Grenadines! )This is not a bad deal for young kids, and offers a great day for less money than an excursion. Castaway Cay is in Eleuthera, Bahamas, (far south of Nassau), and is where RCI, NCL, Princess, and HAL also have private islands. We normally did Paradise Island, which was great 20 years ago! Not so much now. Just keep in mind that ship excursions contract with local vendors, and with six ships in port, some of the excursions may be filled early. Six ships may all use the same venue. Whatever you decide, I'm sure you'll have a great time!

Wow...what an experience.

You're right...with so many ships in port that day I really need to book soon. I will submit my inquiry today to see what is available.

Thanks for the great advice...and yes, we will have an awesome time! This trip is a surprise for our daughter...she was upset because she didn't cruise w/ us earlier this month so we're looking forward to making it up to her.

Hello,

Hi there...

We are cruising in May with our 3yo and 6yo, and are considering Blue Lagoon Island beach day, and maybe a dolphin encounter or walking to the Hilton by the pier and spending the day using their beach/pool. Adults are $40, with a $30 meal/drink coupon refund and she would be $10!

Did you feel like you got your moneys worth at Blackbeard...seems like they should allow more than 2 and a half hours on the island.

Eeek, yeah 2.5 hours isn't a lot of time at all. Disney gave us 5 hours. I noticed that Carnival and Royal Caribbean divided this tour in half to get more people into the excursion -- charging the same amount. :rolleyes:

Blackbeards is a private island, that's why its nice. There is nothing around it -- so its like being in your own little piece of the world.

When you are at BCH, you'll be able to see the 5 ships docked up from there. They were going to shut down BCH for a little while when they needed to dredge the port to make room for Oasis. I just like my line of sight to be nada but palm trees. ;)

I loved Blue Lagoon for the dolphin tour -- never went there for the beach excursion. If Blue Lagoon is a longer tour, then take that. No reason not to. Its another beautiful place.

Eeek, yeah 2.5 hours isn't a lot of time at all. Disney gave us 5 hours. I noticed that Carnival and Royal Caribbean divided this tour in half to get more people into the excursion -- charging the same amount. :rolleyes:

Blackbeards is a private island, that's why its nice. There is nothing around it -- so its like being in your own little piece of the world.

When you are at BCH, you'll be able to see the 5 ships docked up from there. They were going to shut down BCH for a little while when they needed to dredge the port to make room for Oasis. I just like my line of sight to be nada but palm trees. ;)

I loved Blue Lagoon for the dolphin tour -- never went there for the beach excursion. If Blue Lagoon is a longer tour, then take that. No reason not to. Its another beautiful place.

Ok, I will save Blackbeard for next year when we sail Dis Dream....

I submitted reservation requests for Blue Lagoon & BCH...waiting for response from both.

I requested the 10:30 ferry for Blue Lagoon that would give us 5 hours on the island....plenty of time. If not available then we'll be at BCH.

Dolphin tour---trying to see if my daughter is interested in doing this...so far it's a no! lol

You can always spend 5 bucks at walmart for a bucket of sand toys. Get off the ship and once out of the gates go right...and just keep walking past Senor Frogs, around the corner for a bit and you find a free public beach. That was the favorite part for my kids was playing in the sand and water. You can also go left through the gate with the soldier and take your daughter to get her passport stamped.:)

You can always spend 5 bucks at walmart for a bucket of sand toys. Get off the ship and once out of the gates go right...and just keep walking past Senor Frogs, around the corner for a bit and you find a free public beach. That was the favorite part for my kids was playing in the sand and water. You can also go left through the gate with the soldier and take your daughter to get her passport stamped.:)

Thanks.... we didn't get off the ship last yr with her but we will do it for sure this time.

I would choose BCH over Blackbeards this time around b/c of only having 2 1/2 hours at Blackbeards. I would want more time. BCH would give you the flexability to come and go as you want, and you could stay longer.

I agree... 2 1/2 hrs is not worth the hassle.....waiting on availability email from BCH..i'll let you guys know what happens!

We just did Blue Lagoon last week with our kids. They had a great time and it was the highlight of the cruise. We took the 10:30 ferry and stayed until 4. The ferry took us straight back to the ships. They had innertubes, mats, noodles and buckets/pails that were free to use. I would go back again! My kids are 9, 7 and 3.

We just did Blue Lagoon last week with our kids. They had a great time and it was the highlight of the cruise. We took the 10:30 ferry and stayed until 4. The ferry took us straight back to the ships. They had innertubes, mats, noodles and buckets/pails that were free to use. I would go back again! My kids are 9, 7 and 3.

That's good to hear...thanks for the post.

I'm waiting on a response from Blue Lagoon....I requested the 10:30 ferry and would return on the one that departs @ 4....five hours seems like more than enough time!

Did you take your girls to see the dolphins? If so, how was it?

thanks for the review...highly considering this or BCH for the day when we are there with our girls 6 and 3. did you do an animal encounter and how were the kids with the animals if you did? were they scared? thanks for the info!

• 2 weeks later...

Archived