Casn you snorkel Barrier Reef from shore?

JeremyK

I am looking to Barrier Reef Snorkel on my Carnival Valor stop in Cayman, and as I understand it the best snorkeling is on the barrier reef, is that right? If so, can you get to it from shore? If not I am happy to pay to go on the boat, but if so I am happy to swim to it myself and save.

I found this great guide for offshore snorkeling, so I know you can snorkel there: http://caymanislandsdiscounts.com/offshoresnorkeling.htm

But I want to see the best snorkeling has to offer there.

Any insight would be great!

The barrier reef IS easily reached by swimming from shore on the North Side and East End sections of the island. You will need a car to drive yourself out to those areas, as it is around 45 minutes each way. In the snorkeling guide link from the OP's post the three areas listed as East End and North Side all provide access to the barrier reef. The best of the bunch is the Queen's Monument area. The reef is a mere 75 yds from shore and large coral heads are even closer. There are no facilities here, so another option is Rum Point. Here are aerial views of both the Queen's monument and Rum Point snorkle areas

NorthSideSnorkelLocations#5440851654336634946

NorthSideSnorkelLocations#5448245568900609218

Yes, there is a reef system that surrounds much of the island. It can be reached from shore in many areas.

However, that area specifically known as "Barrier Reef" is a section of reef that encloses the northern end of the North Sound. It passes very close to Stingray City and the Stingray Sandbar. This Barrier Reef cannot be easily reached from shore.

I should have clarified: the barrier that surrounds much of Grand Cayman can be reached simply by swimming and snorkeling as described earlier. The section of this barrier reef specifically referred to as the "Barrier Reef" on the Carnival advert is located as described by Drew Sailbum. It would be a long, long swim. The section of the barrier reef by Rum Point is comparable to any of the of the excursion stops if you are willing and able to swim out a few hundred yards.

IMGP0310.jpg?t=1269973900

IMGP0160.jpg?t=1269974032

IMGP0224.jpg?t=1269974128

Suggested Snorkel Route starting from the East/Right hand Side and heading back to Rum Point

Snorkel%20Map%20for%20Rum%20Point%20Barrier%20Reef.jpg

Archived