Feet Swelling due to too much "salt"

debster818

Anyone have a "cure" for feet swelling on the ship after a few days? I think it may be from all the msg they use in the food because they have to make such large quantities. By the 3rd day I can't get into my dress shoes. Thank goodness for flip flops.

Anyone have a "cure" for feet swelling on the ship after a few days? I think it may be from all the msg they use in the food because they have to make such large quantities. By the 3rd day I can't get into my dress shoes. Thank goodness for flip flops.

I think the trick is to drink a lot of water.

I also have water pills from my doctor I take in the summer.

I've never had this happen, but feet swelling can be a serious symptom that maybe you should talk to your doctor about.

Mine swell because I have had DVT in both legs.. I find the humidity does it... I was on a cruise in December outta NOLA... and my legs and ankles didn't swell at all.. it wasn't humid.. I do find that taking Omega 3's help with it tho.. as last summer when it was humid here.. humidex near 40... my legs and ankles were great.. I could still wear the thong type flip flops that normally I can't wear..... Clear as mud I hope LOL:p

I have the same problem with swelling while cruising - some ships chefs are worse for this than others. It is the MSG in the food, and so I only have a salad every three days or so... All of those "fresh" veggies on the salad bar are soaked in a msg/water solution to keep them looking fresh. I stay away!

Taters

Lots of water and when sitting elevate your feet if you can. When at sea you do so much more sitting than you probably do otherwise. Also avoid where possible either crossing your legs or your ankles - keeps the blood flowing well.

All good points. Omega 3...what is that for? Should I buy some? I had no idea about the salad!! I love salad, but will watch that. Any other foods I should steer clear of?

I will elevate my feet now that we will be sailing on our first balcony!!! I will also, drink water.....along with my dod.

Had the same problem last year. Doctor says he think it is from the salt they try to take out of the water but he suspects that they dont get it all as in reverse osmosis. Our entire house is on reverse osmosis, and when you add salty food, that one doesnt normally use (but the ship does) could cause the swelling..Im bringing good water with us this time and see what happens :)

All good points. Omega 3...what is that for? Should I buy some? I had no idea about the salad!! I love salad, but will watch that. Any other foods I should steer clear of?

I will elevate my feet now that we will be sailing on our first balcony!!! I will also, drink water.....along with my dod.

Omega 3 is good for alot of things.. I find it works great for me as an anti-inflammatory.. stops the swelling..

Had the same problem last year. Doctor says he think it is from the salt they try to take out of the water but he suspects that they dont get it all as in reverse osmosis. Our entire house is on reverse osmosis, and when you add salty food, that one doesnt normally use (but the ship does) could cause the swelling..Im bringing good water with us this time and see what happens :)

I guess it depends on your body chemistry.. because as I posted.. I get no swelling if it is not humid.. salt or not.. I eat all the same foods and drink all the drinks.. I will see next month on the Splendor.. if it will be humid weather and my fish pills see if that helps;)

My feet and ankles always swell on a cruise (since my first cruise in 1973). My feet look like Jimmy Dean sausages. As most have told you . . . drink lots of water (bottled water) and eat lots of fresh fruits and vegetables. I've talked to my doctor about this and was told lots of people suffer from swollen feet and ankles when they fly or go on cruises. I was a flight attendant for over twenty years and never had that problem so I can only assume it has to do with the salt in the food on the ship and possibly the salt water in the pools and beaches.

My feet and ankles always swell on a cruise (since my first cruise in 1973). My feet look like Jimmy Dean sausages. As most have told you . . . drink lots of water (bottled water) and eat lots of fresh fruits and vegetables. I've talked to my doctor about this and was told lots of people suffer from swollen feet and ankles when they fly or go on cruises. I was a flight attendant for over twenty years and never had that problem so I can only assume it has to do with the salt in the food on the ship and possibly the salt water in the pools and beaches.

Again as I posted it must do with the body chemistry.. cause there are many reasons for swelling.. I guess there really is no real cure to it.. as everyone is differen;)

I mentioned it to my Doctor and she said it happens to her also. She prescribed a diuretic. Due to other health issues I can't take over the counter meds. She also said to make sure I drink plenty of water so I do not get dehydrated with everything else I will be drinking :D.

I second thanking god for flip flops or sandles thats all I plan on taking... I hope it gets warmer in the next 13days.

I have noticed when I return from a cruise my ankles are a bit on the fluffy side, but my shoes have never gotten tight. My belt, however is a different matter. I never notice either until I get back on land. As long as I am on the cruise I am having too much fun to notice much of anything.;)

Be careful with propping your feet up on the balcony wall without wearing sunscreen. During one cruise I spent lots of time on the balcony with my books in hand and my fee propped up on the balcony. I got a little too much sun!

Enjoy the balcony. You won't want any other type of cabin now.

I've never had this happen, but feet swelling can be a serious symptom that maybe you should talk to your doctor about.

I agree...it could be serious and the OP should speak to their DR., but it's probably the salt in the food. The only time I ever swell up is on a ship. if the OP only swells up when cruising, then obviously it isn't a chronic issue, it's a cruise issue.

If you are someone who doesn't use much of it at home (I definitely don't) it can make you swell HORRIBLY. On my last cruise it was horrendous and I can tell you first hand that CCL is my worst cruise for swelling.

But, the OP's doctor should be consulted as a precaution.

I am going to make a dietary request for low sodium next time to see if that helps. My feet swelled so bad on my Triumph cruise that they hurt.

I drank a lot of water (was blowing through the huge bottles of it) and I have taken Omega 3's for years...it didn't help me at all.

Lots of water and when sitting elevate your feet if you can. When at sea you do so much more sitting than you probably do otherwise. Also avoid where possible either crossing your legs or your ankles - keeps the blood flowing well.
Keep your legs elevated and separated????? Sounds mighty inviting. :p

Archived