'splain me about the aft penthouse suites please!

oliverweagle

I see that on a number of NCL ships there are different cabins and suites on the aft. The "Romance Suite" clearly is for 2, however there are also "Penthouse Suites" that looks to have loads of room but are for 2 also. The aft balcony - smaller than the "romance suite" or the "penthouse suite",of course, can accommodate 3 and is frequently located between the suites on the aft. . So I'm scratching my head wondering why the penthouse suite could not have sofa bed and sleep three?

Any ideas?

Thank you!

Ollie.

It is my understanding that only certain suites will trade out (or have already done so. This may vary from ship to ship) the regular sofa for the sofa bed, which would allow 3 pax in the suite. Until just a few weeks ago the only suites for 3 or more were the AB and Garden Villas and the one like the AB in the Courtyard. So there is hope coming. Maybe they'll put in more sofa beds soon and more categories will be available for 3.

We had the same question. We are a family of 4 and questioned why those penthouses only accomdate two. We asked if they could put two fold aways in the room and they refused. NCL would not go into detail why that is, nor will they make any accomodations to put more than two people in those cabins.

We had the same question. We are a family of 4 and questioned why those penthouses only accomdate two. We asked if they could put two fold aways in the room and they refused. NCL would not go into detail why that is, nor will they make any accomodations to put more than two people in those cabins.

This is just a guess on my part but perhaps they are looking at the fact that if they make you book a second suite they could charge more or something? Like I said though, just a guess on my part, I'm waiting to go on my first vcruise which will, ironically, be in a Romance Suite.

I think it has to do with the number of passengers they can legally have on the ship.

I think it has to do with the number of passengers they can legally have on the ship.

Exactly! A cruise ship is rated for X number of passengers, say 2,000 based on size and lifeboat capacity. If they add capacity to a suite, from 2 to 4 passengers then they must lower the capacity in a balcony or inside to maintain a total of 2,000. Triples and Quads sell pretty well in the lower categories.

One idea is tie and it is only an idea, I have no insight. Such as our AC on the Sun, those seem to be quite popular and NCL has no problem selling it to 2 pax. And they only have to extend suite perks to two. By allowing third and fourth pax into a smaller category cabin they get their cost but have to actually deliver less than in a non-suite cabin. Our AC had a bedroom with a queen and my mom used the sofabed in the living room. She liked the larger tv and desk area for working on the laptop organizing the video she shot every day.

I recall reading on these boards that NCL was re evaluating this and was in the process of adding capacity to select categories of suites trhat were previously 2 person only.

I cannot locate the postings currently but will add a link here when I do.

Archived