Alaska Wildlife Conservation Center

Bescotti

HAL has an excursion for those on the Amsterdam sailing to Anchorage which visits the Alaska Wildlife Conservation Center and Portage Glacier (5.5 hours round trip from Anchorage). I have already booked to do the Redoubt Bay Bear View Flightseeing so that I could photograph bear but I am now wondering if the AWCC might be a better (plus MUCH cheaper) option.

If anyone has visited either the AWCC on an excursion or the Redoubt Bay Bear Viewing I'd be very interested to know your views on them for photographic opportunities.

Hi there - we visited the AWCC and thought it was great but not really a "Wildlife Photo OP" - there were a few bears there but behind fences so our photos have wires in them. We also went on a Bear Viewing trip but in Ketchikan and nothing can beat seeing bears in their natural habitat. Got some awesome Bear photos on the trip.

The reason I am uo set with HAL cancelling my Anchorage Portage Glacier tour elimenating Alyeska.We have done the Conservation Center on our way from Anchorage to Seward.It was nice but is more like a Zoo for rescued animals.We saw Moose and Elk Deer and a few other animals.They did have a Bear but all it did was sleep in the sand.Secondly it is free,so the tour HAL is offering is expensive.

Just a heads up

The Wildlife Conservation Center takes in ORPHANED animals or those injured. While it is NOT like seeing animals in the wild, you money contributes to a good cause. What would YOU do with orphaned animals?

It is a chance to see animals in Alaska which are NOT in a zoo. Zoo like, but not a zoo. These animals are being habituated to going BACK in the wild. Some will never make it. Some can live in the wild.

The Elk is my friend. He can NEVER be sent back to the wild. He is too injured and mentally deficient to fend for himself in the wild. But would you rather see an elk in Alaska or never see an elk up close and personal period.

The money goes to a good cause. I believe in saving as much of Wild America as you can. Would I rather see the animals in the wild-you betcha!!! But on an Alaskan cruise, you chances are limited.

Hi Ann, I know how disappointed you are with the Anchorage excursions - hopefully something will come up as HAL still seems to be adding them. I'm still hanging out to see if the Halibut Cove trip will be added.

Many professional photographers take pictures at the Conservation Center. You would be surprised at how many of the photos on the brochures for your excursions or entertainment were taken there. See below for a sample of some of my WCC photos (I'm not a pro by the way)

20070719-DSC_0042.jpg.d6144259a274f07da2693f40c336eccc.jpg

20070720-DSC_0025.jpg.e0e753fe180cb6df6d10082896fec8a9.jpg

20070720-DSC_0097.jpg.ea99abc8b69de28206cd28ec0a4cbc8f.jpg

Thanks, Wolfie, for your comments and also your great photos. You've now got me leaning towards the AWCC and Portage Glacier tour because I won't be guaranteed of seeing bears at Redoubt Bay, it's six times the cost and I might be limited in carrying a camera bag on the floatplane. The AWCC also visits Portage Glacier so it might just be the better option for me.

Archived