Movies about Alaska

bradswife

I was going to go with the obvious; Ice Road Truckers - The Dalton, and as has been mentioned Deadliest Catch especially the episode with the rescue of the Katmai crew. They brought the crew to Adak Island. I lived in Adak for 3 years.

And it looks like nobody mentioned The Edge. I always root for the bear and the best line in the movie is "what one man can do; another can do."

Edited by Sailor2Cruiser
i really need to reread before i post.

This isn't a movie, but if your itinerary includes Glacier Bay you might want to read John Muir's Travels in Alaska. He was the first explorer of Glacier Bay and much of that area of Alaska. If your library doesn't have it you can find it at some of the online stores. I bought a used copy from Amazon.com

Another book I would recommend, and which I am rereading in preparation for our late May cruise, is Alaska by James Michener. It is LONG, but since each chapter is really its own story, you can pick and choose what might relate to your travels. I would recommend the middle chapters that focus on the Russian colonization of the Aleutians and southeast Alaska, and the Gold Rush chapters that focus on Skagway.

• 5 years later...

What a great thread!

I've nabbed some travel vids off of Amazon Prime and also discovered Alaska: the Final Frontier on Hulu, I've watched most of the first season. It's a reality show that follows the Kilcher family, they are homesteaders living off the land northeast of Homer (2nd and 3rd generation).

As a bit of trivia, Atz Kilcher is Jewel's father, she grew up there before heading south to live out of a van while pursuing her music career. They haven't mentioned it at all in the almost entire 1st season I've watched but her uncle Otto said at one point that he couldn't get her song, Pieces of You, out of his head. No mention of the relation.

It's interesting, a little annoying in how the producers try to edit in drama that isn't really there but I think the core of it is accurate, they seem like really likeable people.