Haven't cruised in a long time, have a few questions

mommyto2kids

I am not technically new to these boards I was a regular user back in 2002, but haven't cruised since 2003. I changed my registration info because my email address had changed and I no longer felt that the screen name Bride_to_be_ON fit with my life.

So we are now planning our first family cruise and I have a few questions. To be honnest I am a little nervous to post these because similar threads asking questions have been quickly replied to with, "people ask these questions all the time, use the search function". Yes I get it my questions have probably been asked before, but it would be very time consuming to search each of my questions separately and quite frankly the info might be old and out dated.

Since probably every question every asked as been asked before what is the point to these boards. I have spent the last 4 years on a disney message board as that has been our annual vacation and found them very welcoming and am hoping for the same here.

Ok, my rant is done here are my questions: We are travelling on the Valor 7 night Western Caribbean on Oct 17/10

1. I know that you can buy a soda for drinks at the bar/pool, but was wondering if soda/milk etc. is covering when you are dining in a restaurant?

2. What are the charges for after hours care at Camp Carnival (10pm-3am), how have people found this. My kids will be almost 6 and turning 3 while we are there.

3. Thoughts if it is worth the extra money to have your room on the Lido deck, thought it would be great to be close to food/pool, but I guess it could also be loud.

4. Can you get bed rails for the upper beds?

Ok, that's it for now. Thank you in advance for taking the time to answer my questions even if they may have been asked before.

Welcome back to the boards. I agree with you; Doing a search and coming up with last years answers doesn't do you any good this year. I can't answer all of your questions but I can answer a couple of them.

We are travelling on the Valor 7 night Western Caribbean on Oct 17/10

1. I know that you can buy a soda for drinks at the bar/pool, but was wondering if soda/milk etc. is covering when you are dining in a restaurant? Sodas are covered by the card in the main dining rooms. Milk is free.

2. What are the charges for after hours care at Camp Carnival (10pm-3am), how have people found this. My kids will be almost 6 and turning 3 while we are there. Can't help you on this one.

3. Thoughts if it is worth the extra money to have your room on the Lido deck, thought it would be great to be close to food/pool, but I guess it could also be loud. We always get the Panorama Deck which is one deck above the Lido Deck. We love either deck because of the closeness to the food/pool as you've mentioned. It is also great to be able to use your own bathrooms as the public ones get rather crowded and messy on sea days.

4. Can you get bed rails for the upper beds? I'm not positive on this one but I would guess that they would be available. I can't imagine putting a child up there without one.

Ok, that's it for now. Thank you in advance for taking the time to answer my questions even if they may have been asked before.

Don't be afraid to ask questions. Most people will be more than willing to help you. There will always be some that will give you a hard time but just ignore them. They thrive on being nasty.

To we are now planning our first family cruise and I have a few questions. To be honnest I am a little nervous to post these because similar threads asking questions have been quickly replied to with, "people ask these questions all the time, use the search function". Yes I get it my questions have probably been asked before, but it would be very time consuming to search each of my questions separately and quite frankly the info might be old and out dated.

Since probably every question every asked as been asked before what is the point to these boards. I have spent the last 4 years on a disney message board as that has been our annual vacation and found them very welcoming and am hoping for the same here.

I can't answer your questions as I have no kids...

I am sorry you feel that way.. I am sure you will get your answers but to state that it is to time consuming to search for your info.. to me inplies laziness.. the boards are here for that reason to provide info.. and using the search function is apart of that.. if you find the info is outdated then you can state that you have found such and such but would like to know if anything has changed... anyways just my 2cents.. on the responses about using the search when everyone here is there to help gets blasted for helping members along ..

Good luck..;)

Welcome back to the boards. I agree with you; Doing a search and coming up with last years answers doesn't do you any good this year. I can't answer all of your questions but I can answer a couple of them.

Don't be afraid to ask questions. Most people will be more than willing to help you. There will always be some that will give you a hard time but just ignore them. They thrive on being nasty.

You are right there are those that are nasty but as my post stated.. that is not the intent of most here... and to generalize really gets on my last nerve..

I am not technically new to these boards I was a regular user back in 2002, but haven't cruised since 2003. I changed my registration info because my email address had changed and I no longer felt that the screen name Bride_to_be_ON fit with my life.

So we are now planning our first family cruise and I have a few questions. To be honnest I am a little nervous to post these because similar threads asking questions have been quickly replied to with, "people ask these questions all the time, use the search function". Yes I get it my questions have probably been asked before, but it would be very time consuming to search each of my questions separately and quite frankly the info might be old and out dated.

Ok, my rant is done here are my questions: We are travelling on the Valor 7 night Western Caribbean on Oct 17/10

1. I know that you can buy a soda for drinks at the bar/pool, but was wondering if soda/milk etc. is covering when you are dining in a restaurant?

2. What are the charges for after hours care at Camp Carnival (10pm-3am), how have people found this. My kids will be almost 6 and turning 3 while we are there.

from Carnival:

Besides the complimentary Camp Carnival activities that are available everyday, babysitting is also available every evening from 10:00 pm to 3:00 am. Infants to 8-year-olds have their slumber party in the Playroom with movie-time, snacks and drinks. 9 - 11-year-olds have After Hours with video games, movies, board games, snacks and drinks from 10:00 pm to 12:00 am. They will join regular babysitting from 12:00 am to 3:00 am. The charge for babysitting is $6.00 per hour for the first child and $4.00 for each additional sibling and will be charged to your Sail & Sign card. Please sign up with the Youth Staff in advance. All babysitting takes place in Camp Carnival. There is NO in-stateroom babysiting available.

On the Paradise is was billed for every 15 minutes.

3. Thoughts if it is worth the extra money to have your room on the Lido deck, thought it would be great to be close to food/pool, but I guess it could also be loud.

We book in steerage (riviera or main deck) and never had a problem.

They have rails on them already.

Your kids will have a blast. Our 3 year old cant wait to go back on the big big boat.

First of all, I don't think you're lazy for not using the search option. Although my kids are grown, I remember what it was like to have little ones and I know you don't have time to waste. I've been a member of CC since 2000 and just because I've seen people ask questions that were asked previously doesn't take away from someone's right to ask them.

That being said....

1. Soda is always an extra cost, whether at the bars or in the dining room.

2. Regarding babysitting, this is from the FAQ section at carnival.com: Besides the complimentary Camp Carnival activities that are available everyday, babysitting is also available every evening from 10:00 pm to 3:00 am. Infants to 8-year-olds have their slumber party in the Playroom with movie-time, snacks and drinks...The charge for babysitting is $6.00 per hour for the first child and $4.00 for each additional sibling and will be charged to your Sail & Sign card. Please sign up with the Youth Staff in advance. All babysitting takes place in Camp Carnival. There is NO in-stateroom babysiting available.

3. My brother & SIL always get Lido rooms and claim they are not noisy.

4. The upper beds do have side rails but may not be high enough or secure enough for younger children. I would suggest that you contact Carnival and ask about availability on your specific ship.

Hope I was able to be of some assistance.

Sharon

Archived