Is anyone on the AMA Almalyra in June?

jollyjo

We will be joining you on this trip. We just booked the trip this week.

Its our second river cruise, the first was Viking to Russia.

We are excited and look forward to a wonderful trip.

We might have another couple join us!

Keep in touch.

Steven & Rose Marie

We will be looking forward to meeting you, Steven and Rose..and hopefully your friends too. We are playing with the idea of going to Prague after the cruise and staying for a couple nights. That is one city that I heard is too beautiful to miss! Theresa and Mike

Hi Theresa and Mike

We look forward to meeting you. Our friends still did not make up their mind, but there are only 4 cabins left.

We are leaving on Sat, June 5th and will spend one night in Amsterdam, but Rose Marie hates Amsterdam. We will then fly home immediately on Monday, June 21st. I agree with you about Prague, we were there many years ago and it was one of the highlights of that tour.

You can email me at stevermb@aol.com

Have you researched any info on the ports, including weather?

Steve & Rose Marie

We will be on the Amalyra from Basel to Amsterdam debarking the same day you embark. It is our second cruise on AMA and anticpating the same excellent experience we had last year on the Danube sailing the Amadante.

Last year we had some high water problems near Regensburg in early June. The river level was too high to get under a bridge in a small town called Deggendorf. Hopefully that was an atypical experience and the flooding problems will not be encountered. AMA did an excellent job to adjust to the situation.

We're doing that itinerary starting Apr 25th (on a different boat). You can follow us along our way and ask "real time" questions about each port by bookmarking

www-europeanrivercruise-webs-com . I'll be updating the website with photos and text as we travel.

Hi Steve. I was looking at wunderground.com at the weather history.

Last year on June 6th there was a high of 62f and a low of 41f...the record high was 78f in 1997 and record low of 44f in 2006. Definitely bring a sweat shirt or sweater along with summer clothes, just in case. Mike and I never check a bag.

We both have a carry-on and a back pack only. Should be interesting! OH, sorry those temps were recorded for Amsterdam last year.

Hi Steve. I was looking at wunderground.com at the weather history.

Last year on June 6th there was a high of 62f and a low of 41f...the record high was 78f in 1997 and record low of 44f in 2006. Definitely bring a sweat shirt or sweater along with summer clothes, just in case. Mike and I never check a bag.

We both have a carry-on and a back pack only. Should be interesting! OH, sorry those temps were recorded for Amsterdam last year.

Thank you for the info. We anticipate cool weather for us, since we live in the sunny land of Florida--although after this winter, Rose Marie tells me we might have to move further south.

I think we might be a little crazy with our flights--we arrive on Monday about 2pm in Amsterdam. We accepted that flight since we still have another day for the boat to sail. We broke our major travel rule--never arrive on the day the ship sails.

There is so little research to do with this type of trip, just seems so strange.

Have a great day and look forward to meeting you soon.

Steven & Rose Marie

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
We will be on the Amalyra from Basel to Amsterdam debarking the same day you embark. It is our second cruise on AMA and anticpating the same excellent experience we had last year on the Danube sailing the Amadante.

Last year we had some high water problems near Regensburg in early June. The river level was too high to get under a bridge in a small town called Deggendorf. Hopefully that was an atypical experience and the flooding problems will not be encountered. AMA did an excellent job to adjust to the situation.

Dear Stucruiser:

We will be doing the same AMA cruise in August. Are you planning extra days in Switzerland or Amsterdam? Have a great trip! Please write a report or let us know the details of your cruise when you return. Thank you.

Mytravels

Dear Stucruiser:

We will be doing the same AMA cruise in August. Are you planning extra days in Switzerland or Amsterdam? Have a great trip! Please write a report or let us know the details of your cruise when you return. Thank you.

Mytravels

The trip starts with 4 days in Switzerland - 2 in Zurich and 2 in Lucerne. We have added on our own 1 extra night in Amsterdam for a total of a 14 day vacation. We are anxious to commence the trip because we went on AMA last year on the Danube and it was outstanding. I will write a review upon return.

Hello to everyone who is embarking on the Almalyra on June 7th. We managed to get a cabin on the lower deck with windows that do not open. However at least we are on the sailing and looking forward to it very much. Weather should be quite hot. June is an excellent month for Europe with long days and just perfect for exploring all the towns and cities en-route.

We have never taken a river cruise before although had a wonderful holiday with the kids many years ago cycling down the Danube and being totally impressed with the scenery, villages, architecture and atmosphere along the river. I really can't think of a better way to see Europe than unpacking once and spending two weeks relaxing in a 5 star ship/restaurant with congenial companions and tours all part of the price. Just imagine no announcements about art auctions/spa treatments/bingo and all the trappings of big cruise ships! Not that I don't enjoy sea cruises but it will be nice to be treated as an individual and not a number! We are flying from Ireland on the 5th and staying in a fabulous little B&B about 15 miles north of Amsterdam for two nights before joining the ship. Those of you who have got your info could you let us know where it docks since only having booked a few days ago we have little or no info as yet. Think it must have been a cancellation!

Look forward to meeting you all and hope the ash does not last until then as all Irish airports are closed again today(May 4th) and causing serious disruption. We lost our cruise from Dubai to Barcelona last month due the volcano but now it would have been over and we are going to enjoy the Almalyra instead!

Philip & Rosemary Johnston

We will be joining you on that lower deck! There is another couple that you probably came across on this thread, Steven and Rose Marie. We have never been on a river cruise either, it sounds like such fun! I have been working on bicycle stamina..my dh rides all the time so he will be all set if we get a chance for a long bike ride. We are coming from the Los Angeles area and plan to arrive the day we embark. (gulp) We haven't received anything yet as far as tickets go, so we don't have any information to share as far as location..I think our

docs are coming to us electronically, must check on that. We made some last minute decisions for after the cruise and think we will fly to Prague the day we disembark. I have always wanted to see Prague and this is my chance! We look forward to meeting you and Steven and Rose Marie.

Mike and Theresa

Hello to everyone who is embarking on the Almalyra on June 7th. We managed to get a cabin on the lower deck with windows that do not open. However at least we are on the sailing and looking forward to it very much. Weather should be quite hot. June is an excellent month for Europe with long days and just perfect for exploring all the towns and cities en-route.

Philip & Rosemary Johnston

Welcome aboard Philip & Rosemary. Now we are 3 cruise critics cruisers. I understand that the ship has been sold out, lucky you to get aboard.

We are flying from Miami, Florida on Sunday and will go direct to the boat upon our arrival on Monday afternoon.

YOu stated that the weather should be quite hot. I checked historical weather for most ports to discover the weather should range from a low of 50F to a high of 67F. Is this the hot weather you mentioned? We are trying to decided what to pack and for what type of weather. To us, that is not hot weather, just pleasant and we will probably need to take a jacket along.

We look forward to meeting "you all" at the Welcome Aboard.

Have a safe trip and see you soon.

Steven & Rose Marie

Hi Steven, Rose Marie, Mike & Theresa,

Great to hear from you and look forward to meeting on the Amalyra.

Weatherwise the temps you are seeing tend to be an overall average. It could be chilly in Amsterdam but is more likely to be very pleasant indeed. We had another cycling holiday in Holland quite a few summers ago and the temps were balmy and wonderful for the whole holiday. June tends to be the month where a high pressure develops over the Baltic and pulls in lovely warm conditions over N West Europe. Of course as the ship moves east it will get warmer. Nothing like Florida, of course, but can be very enjoyable. There is always a chance of Atlantic depressions with rain but let's be optimistic. I genuinely think it will be shorts and light tops weather with perhaps a sweater for evenings if going for a stroll in a city after dinner! I really think you would be making a mistake packing too much in the way of heavy clothing! In Europe we are all learning to travel light as the airlines now charge exorbitant sums for suitcases as well as a hefty financial penalty for overweight. The airline we fly back with after the cruise only allows a max of 15 KG (33lbs) and charges a substantial sum even for that! Not so big a problem for the men, but pity the poor ladies!

We leave for Amsterdam four weeks today so trying not to wish our life away!

I hope you manage to get over the jet lag quickly on arrival in Europe as you are embarking straight away on the cruise. Five hours difference is OK but coming from the west coast it must be difficult for the first couple of days. I shall look out for four people falling asleep over dinner on the first night!!

Bye for now!

Philip J

I found a review of our trip. It is wonderful and increase our anticipation.

Here is the website address: http://www.thepreismans.com/

Philip, I spoke with Michael. He said the weather was pleasant, but not hot nor cold. However, he suggested a jacket for on deck--its is very windy and cold. He also suggested a hood on the jacket to block the wind. Just take a look at the pictures and what people are wearing.

We have started to prepare for the trip and each year its gets worse with the weight restrictions, but now even the number of suitcases.

Well gang, happy packing and looking forward to meeting "you all" in a few weeks.

Steven

• 2 weeks later...

Hey Fellow Travelers...did you happen to notice that we are heading

into flood conditions on our cruise? I'm new to river cruising but it sounds

like it might turn into more of a bus tour than a cruise.

Archived