Adventure Ocean vs. Camp Carnival

Queen of Oakville

Just got off the dream and was disappointed with the Camp Carnival counsellors. THey did not seem to love their jobs and were just going through the motions. I expected Disney enthusiasm, and maybe that was setting the bar too high.

While my 4 year old liked Camp Carnival, my 2 year old hated it. I don't really blame him because I dont think the counsellors ever really tried to win him over and make him feel wanted/welcome. I know they have lots of kids and can't dedicate themselves to my child, but somehow I expected more.

Anyone have good/bad stories to share about Adventure Ocean?

I love your screen name. :D

I've had ds4 on 3 cruises since he was 2 (2 RCCL and 1 CCL) and dd11 has been on 3 RCCL and 1 CCL. I've found that the staff varies from ship to ship rather than line to line. We had great counsellors on Radiance of the Seas and Carnival Glory. Truthfully, I can't remember much about the counsellors on Navigator of the Seas or Adventure of the Seas. DD11 had a friend to hang around with, so she didn't spend a lot of time there and ds4 was too young. All I remember about one of NOS and AOS is that every time I peaked in on dd, they were doing dodge ball. :confused:

Sorry that your 2 year old did not have a good time. It's kind of a bummer when reality doesn't meet expectations. With all that a ship has to offer, they should really be able to do a fabulous job of keeping the kids entertained.

We JUST discussed this on another thread, that it just didn't seem like they love their jobs. :( Such a shame

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1158841

And I can't say its ALL Camp Carnival counselors on ALL ships because we've had a couple of good ones. But we've had some REALLY bad ones. :(

On Royal Caribbean, we've had very, very good counselors EXCEPT for one. And she was new (it was her 2nd week on Freedom) and she was removed from my daughter's room after I went to the head of AO. The counselors on Royal Caribbean are just much more bubbly -- or so they seem to me. They seem to be interested in the children.

In Camp Carnival, they seem to be more bothered by the children than interested.

I hate to make sweeping generalizations because its just MY experience. And others have had a very different experience. ;)

Hey Boulders - nice to see a fellow Canadian here!

I wouldn't say that the Camp Carnival experience for my son was all bad .... after all, every time he quasi-misbehaved, we threatened him with going to camp carnival and that skeeered him into behaving! Truth be told, I enjoyed my time alone with my little guy, so its not like Camp Carnival ruined our holiday, but I would have liked for him to have had some camp time and hopefully have enjoyed it.

I think you are both right in that it probably does vary ship to ship moreso than line to line.

crusinmama, with all yoru cruising experience, its nice to know that you have been generally happy with AO.

Our one Camp Carnival experience was a very positive one, but we sail RCI most of the time, and I can say that our kids have had consistently good experiences on all of them. As others have said, the quality of the counselors varies by ship, but it does seem to me that AO is very consistently good overall. I'd give Camp Carnival good marks overall too, but my sample set is too small. :)

First, the link to this thread, http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1158841

Is about a parent who did not read the Camp schedule, (Given the first day for the entire cruise). She was first disappointed her child only received rice, (when the menu is posted on the newsletter and she could of easily told the counselors what the child could and could not eat), then upset only family activities were planned for the last day in the Camp, (which again was posted in the Camp schedule and would of known about it if she read it). To state they do not love their jobs is an over statement.

Never had a problem in Camp Carnival or Adventure Ocean. I think it is more DD is an only child and just loves to have someone besides adults to play with. She is no angel mind you. If she does not listen or disobeys, I will hear of it and not blame the counselors.

One thing to remember, this is not a "babysitter" it is a camp. There a difference.

Both push the "after hours" stuff which one has to pay for.

My only problem with both camps is they don't use the diversity of their counselors for fun. IMHO They need to get rid of the Wii's, playstations, etc. and have the counselors teach the children activities of their native countries. I think it would be interesting to learn songs or games children play from another country. Or different eco-sytems, geography, etc.

Archived