Which is best for snorkeling... Puerto Vallarta or Cabo ?

hottatortot

I would like to know about these places on snorkeling... water clarity, fishes and corals, water temperature... etc? anything you can think of would help!! I will be on Sapphire princess cruise.. not really interested in booking online or with the cruise line. Will there be tour agents waiting outside of the cruise ship? We have done that in the past and it went really well and would like to book independantly again.

Have snorkeled both locations and IMO, Cabo is much better. Having said that, neither location is on par with snorkeling in the Caribbean, Hawaii or Cozumel. The two best locations in Cabo that are a reasonable distance from the port (marina) are Playa Santa Maria and Bahia Chileno. They are located just outside of Cabo, around the 12 - 14 km marker. These locations can be reached by bus but if I were on a cruise ship, I would take a cab and make arrangements for the driver to pick you up at a predetermined time. Water temps will be in the high 60's in the winter and high 70's in the summer. Water visibility should be o.k.. You should see a dozen or so different fish but they are not very colorful.

taking the taxi to those beaches sounds like a great idea. We already have our snorkeling equipment except the fins. I'm imagining I would need them to get out there from the beach, correct? I've always done tours in the past for this sort of thing but I would be down to do my own thing.. absolutely. I remember Cozumel being very beautiful... lots of fishes including dolphins :) ahhh thanks for taking your time to reply my questions.

Yes, a taxi would be best but please make sure you arrange to be picked up. Regarding fins, they aren't really required as there is no surf to get over and the current within the bays is fairly mild. Again, don't expect to repeat your Cozumel experience in Cabo. I have a video of Bahia Chileno and Playa Santa Maria posted on another web-site but I don't think I'm allowed to post the name of the site. I also don't know how to private send messages on this site.

Archived