Everything Serenade of the Seas

Follow the links below for the review of the B2B that I did this past January. I hope you will enjoy watching, almost as much, as we enjoyed cruising!

Part1:

Part 2:

Part 3:

Part 4:

Part 5:

We stopped at 10 ports in 14 days while we sailed with a CC group that had the nickname “The Maniacs.”

Ports of call: St. Thomas, St. Croix, St. Kitts, Dominica, Barbados, Tortola, St. Maarten, Antigua, St. Lucia, and Grenada!

Any questions, just ask...

BILL

Bill from Wisconsin Rocks !!!

In General:

1. What time can we board the SOS on May 1? You have that answer

2. Has anyone used the luggage valet service at the end of the cruise? If so, how helpful was it? I have read some horror stories about SJU on the weekends. Our flights leave around 4:00 PM on May 8. WE love luggage valet and used it multiple times...to us worth the $20 each...however if you do take a ships tour your luggage will stay with you and isn't a big bother....we always have to leave late...and we say adios to it at the dock and see it on the carousel when we get home

3. How does formal night work? What's the dress code? Is formal night optional? My husband is a suiter....tie, shirt, suit

4. Rum runners? Do they work or have they been getting confiscated?

5. Can we bring bottled water on board?

Shore Excursions

1. Which is the best island to do a zip-line tour and with which tour operator? Cost?

2. What is the best tour operator for Buck Island Reef? Costs?

3. How is the St. Lucia tour with Cosol Tours? Excellent

4. Are there any good hiking trails on the islands (Barbados, St. Lucia, Antigua, St. Maarten, St. Croix)?

We did the back to back this last January...and will be doing the b2b January 2011. We are 'aft'ers for rooms usually but last time we booked late and did an entirely different room location 1558. This time we have Junior Suites on port side.

Lou

I can't wait for our sailing on this ship in August. I read somewhere on these boards about a brunch in Portofino. Has anyone done this? Any thoughts?

We did the Champagne Brunch at Portofino's in Feb - $35 per person I think - it was fabulous - you went on a galley tour - we had the Executive Sous Chef as our guide - all the way through the tour they had little nibbles and goodies to sample. Then you were taken back for the Brunch. Food was plentiful and they had everything you could think of from eggs and omelet dishes to steak, pork tenderloin. You were seated and served coffee, mimosas, bloody marys, OJ, etc but you served yourself buffet style for the rest. We thought it was well worth it.

We did the Champagne Brunch at Portofino's in Feb - $35 per person I think - it was fabulous - you went on a galley tour - we had the Executive Sous Chef as our guide - all the way through the tour they had little nibbles and goodies to sample. Then you were taken back for the Brunch. Food was plentiful and they had everything you could think of from eggs and omelet dishes to steak, pork tenderloin. You were seated and served coffee, mimosas, bloody marys, OJ, etc but you served yourself buffet style for the rest. We thought it was well worth it.

Ooooh that sounds wonderful. Thank you for the details! I think I'll treat my mom and friend to it, and let the guys have some time to themselves. The three of us love to cook, so this will be a great surprise for them :). I'm assuming this was on the sea day?

We did the back to back this last January...and will be doing the b2b January 2011. We are 'aft'ers for rooms usually but last time we booked late and did an entirely different room location 1558. This time we have Junior Suites on port side.

Lou

We had 1558 on wk 1 of our B2B in January also, and thought the room small and the balcony is deceivingly small compared to the deck plan, did you not find this. Thankfully we were moving to a GS the 2nd wk. We booked 2 wks for next Jan also and this time got the same room for both weeks.

Ooooh that sounds wonderful. Thank you for the details! I think I'll treat my mom and friend to it, and let the guys have some time to themselves. The three of us love to cook, so this will be a great surprise for them :). I'm assuming this was on the sea day?

Yes it was sea day, book when you get on board, it fills up quickly.

melbur-oh yes.....we are upcoming diamond pluses and had booked that room based on the "balcony" deck plan....and at first I was disappointed.....then got over it....we were smaller but then I began to love the extra room at the end of the bed to maneuver in and out of the balcony.....and the balcony we actually liked for a "side" balcony we could see what 270 degrees around???? but a better view then direct side....and of course close to atrium area....but wasn't what I thought it would be. We are aft-ers mostly but next January with a JS we are on the side which is fine...my favorite 1602 was already taken. My other favorite D1 is 1604 (inches bigger than the others)

Rooms are for sleeping and getting ready.....however we do use our balconies a lot. P.S. were you the week of January 23rd??? in 1558....because our room steward kept trying to tell me I was going to a grand suite for week 2 and I kept saying wrong person!!!!

Oh and by the way....in San Juan 10 rooms are picked at random for a thorough customs search....dah dah...we were one of them!!!

Lou

melbur-oh yes.....we are upcoming diamond pluses and had booked that room based on the "balcony" deck plan....and at first I was disappointed.....then got over it....we were smaller but then I began to love the extra room at the end of the bed to maneuver in and out of the balcony.....and the balcony we actually liked for a "side" balcony we could see what 270 degrees around???? but a better view then direct side....and of course close to atrium area....but wasn't what I thought it would be. We are aft-ers mostly but next January with a JS we are on the side which is fine...my favorite 1602 was already taken. My other favorite D1 is 1604 (inches bigger than the others)

Rooms are for sleeping and getting ready.....however we do use our balconies a lot. P.S. were you the week of January 23rd??? in 1558....because our room steward kept trying to tell me I was going to a grand suite for week 2 and I kept saying wrong person!!!!

Oh and by the way....in San Juan 10 rooms are picked at random for a thorough customs search....dah dah...we were one of them!!!

Lou

LOL - that's funny about room steward, yes that was our week 1 - jan 23rd. Love being on the hump, near the centrum. Maybe I felt the D1 was small because I'm not a fan of that particular layout - I like the sofa by the balcony door, instead of the bed. For some reason, it feels bigger that way. But you are right, the deck plans misrepresent that balcony.

Glad we got the same GS for both weeks next year!

my oh my very small world!!!!! yep we were the 9th and the 16th..

so everyone note...rm 1558 the room diagram for the balcony is not correct...not even close....and there is a smaller sofa than the regular D1 and the row of shelves next to the TV are not there. We still had plenty of room but not there....however, in that room there is enough room at the end of the bed next to balcony door to put the desk chair and put your feet on the bed....

so roomy there. Question does anyone know if the port side same room...1st one on the aft hallway port is like 1558 which is starboard???

Hi some of you guys...terpla and jst4fun!

Lou

LOL - that's funny about room steward, yes that was our week 1 - jan 23rd. Love being on the hump, near the centrum. Maybe I felt the D1 was small because I'm not a fan of that particular layout - I like the sofa by the balcony door, instead of the bed. For some reason, it feels bigger that way. But you are right, the deck plans misrepresent that balcony.

Glad we got the same GS for both weeks next year!

Mel -

Brian and I couldn't agree more. There is something about having the sofa by the balcony door that makes the difference in the feel of the cabin. I was going to "suffer" through a D2 corner aft for our upcoming Alaska cruise, as the usual $600pp extra that they usually charge for a JS to Alaska can be used for those pricey excursions we take. However, lucky for me they had a recent senior discount on a JS that was only $15pp more than the D2 so I grabbed it. However, the JS senior rate for our upcoming Radiance cruise was less than what we paid for our 1/23 Serenade cruise; go figure -- supply and demand.

BTW, I'm surprising Brian with a GS (1554, I believe) on our 1/22 Serenade cruise. I'm not going to tell him a thing. I'll just open the cabin door and see if he notices! :p

Hi Bill and Rosie....we almost joined you last year but had to change cruises. I bet that you know the answer to this question I've been asking on other boards.

We want an aft balcony without too much glare. We've had 1100 and loved the room and the views but had to keep hiding from the sun. We've got 1602 already but it's not available on the second half of the b2b. So ....we're trying to decide between 1604 and 9256. I know that 9256 is like a little version of 1100. Does it have the same amount of sun? Is the balcony of 1604 shadier and how is the room, if you know? Thanks very much. Phyllis

Oh we're also considering eating only in the restaurants this time. How did you find that? Thanks again.

Hello Phyllis...

9256 and 1100 are very much alike and the sun situation will be about the same on either balcony. However, please note that 9256 is a D2 cabin; not a JS like 1100. The balcony on 1604 has walls/partitions on both sides and as a result, there will be more shade on 1604, than on 1100 or 9256, unless the sun is directly behind the ship.

1604 is a D2 cabin while 1100 is a JS, so 1604 will be smaller and will have a shower, but no tub. The other JS on the aft is 1602. I have stayed and will stay again in 1602. I love both 1100 and 1602, but if are looking for shade take JS 1602, or D2 1604!

By the way...when I first started eating in only the specialty restaurants, many people thought I was crazy...now they just think, I am nuts! Actually, eating in the specialty restaurants adds tremendous enjoyment to the cruise for us. Some people love it, others don't! I feel, I get excellent added value for the extra $$$ and will continue to eat in Chops and Portofino.

Hope that helps you...

BILL

Bill....thank you so much. You answered my questions carefully and perfectly.

Yes we are definitely looking for shade since we live on the west coast of Puerto Rico and get more sun than we would choose. We've even given up our full view of the bay for some large and beautiful shade trees. So...we'll go with 1602 this time for the first leg and hope and pray that we can get it (instead of 1604 which we have reserved) by the time of our second part of the B2B.

As far as the specialty restaurants.... It's not at all crazy. Actually you inspired me a while ago when you wrote that you and your wife ate there all of the time. It seemed just a good idea then and still does now. Usually we just eat there a few times but really it's so much nicer for just a bit more. We will consider it part of the cruise fare.

Maybe one day we will sail with you Maniacs....thanks again, Phyllis

Love the thread. I've always wondered why there wasn't one considering how many of us love the Serenade. Good on you, OP.

For the good of the cause...SOS just left Alaska in the fall to replace AOS in San Juan. SOS starts sailing the AOS itineraries in April, beginning with the April 17th cruise.

I might be wrong but it sounds kind of crazy to move SOS to San Juan just to send her back. Then again crazier things have happened at RCI.

Love the thread. I've always wondered why there wasn't one considering how many of us love the Serenade. Good on you, OP.

For the good of the cause...SOS just left Alaska in the fall to replace AOS in San Juan. SOS starts sailing the AOS itineraries in April, beginning with the April 17th cruise.

I might be wrong but it sounds kind of crazy to move SOS to San Juan just to send her back. Then again crazier things have happened at RCI.

But back then,she alternated SoCarib with Alaska,.,,,,,we did the SoCarib Dec 2003,then Alaska May 2004........

Looking forward to the Aruba run next Oct.

I can't wait for our sailing on this ship in August. I read somewhere on these boards about a brunch in Portofino. Has anyone done this? Any thoughts?

When are you going in August? Are you going to be on the week of August 15 or 22nd? If so, come join our roll call board!

Hey Serenade guys...I have never had a sofa by the door in a D cabin are there some on the Serenade??? or all the sofas by door JS's and such?

Lou

On Radiance class and Voyager, the D1 &2 cabin configuration is bed by the glass door, with sofa first when you enter. On Vision class, it's the opposite and for some reason I feel that it is bigger that way. JS's are the same as others, sofa by the balcony door.

Mel -

Brian and I couldn't agree more. There is something about having the sofa by the balcony door that makes the difference in the feel of the cabin. I was going to "suffer" through a D2 corner aft for our upcoming Alaska cruise, as the usual $600pp extra that they usually charge for a JS to Alaska can be used for those pricey excursions we take. However, lucky for me they had a recent senior discount on a JS that was only $15pp more than the D2 so I grabbed it. However, the JS senior rate for our upcoming Radiance cruise was less than what we paid for our 1/23 Serenade cruise; go figure -- supply and demand.

BTW, I'm surprising Brian with a GS (1554, I believe) on our 1/22 Serenade cruise. I'm not going to tell him a thing. I'll just open the cabin door and see if he notices! :p

OMG Marla, that's funny, we had 1554 for our 2nd wk - FABULOUS room and the balcony is huge, one word of note though - because of the hump angle, if your neighbour is on balcony, they can see right into your room.

We never saw our neighbours so it wasn't an issue, but I read about it on here before we went, and they were right, it is highly visible. You may have to simply pull the curtain over a little further.

Lou

Customs search? I ve never heard of this, is it before sailing away or upon return?

On return...we actually had made friends with one of the security guards.....they come by your room before you disembark and we "missed" them we were at breakfast....so we had to be pulled aside at disembark...took no more than 10 minutes......security was super nice on ship and in customs!

Lou

Speaking of US Customs inspectors, we had the cutest US agriculture dog sniffing our bags at debarkation. Well, he was sniffing all bags but mine are loaded with cat hair (no matter how hard I try to get rid of it) so our bags were a little more interesting than most.

They use beagles for this and they are the cutest things. It made the wait in line (which moves briskly) more enjoyable.

Speaking of US Customs inspectors, we had the cutest US agriculture dog sniffing our bags at debarkation. Well, he was sniffing all bags but mine are loaded with cat hair (no matter how hard I try to get rid of it) so our bags were a little more interesting than most.

They use beagles for this and they are the cutest things. It made the wait in line (which moves briskly) more enjoyable.

The beagles are adorable! I have a beagle at home, and as soon as I saw those dogs sniffing bags, I wanted to hurry home to see our doggie. :)

Archived