Recent Dawn cruisers: Lap pool?

dongordon

Those that have recently returned from a Dawn cruise....what time does the lap pool open in the morning?

I enjoy swimming my laps before breakfast (7:00 AM) and wondering what time the lap pool and the other pools open in the morning.

Don

I too like to swim before breakfast but during my early December Dawn cruise, the lap pool did not open until 8AM even though it is part of the fitness center which is open 24 hours a day. Also be aware that on the first sea days leaving New York, the lap pool may be empty if the seas are rough.

We are just back from the Dawn on the 20th. They only open the lap pool at 8AM. And they did drain it the last day due to very rough seas. I have to say, I did swim on the first sea day coming back and it was quite rough. Had to be careful that I didn't come off a wave a ram head on into the wall.

Technically I think the lap pool and steam, sauna, etc are part of the Spa, which closes around 11pm. The fitness rooms are a level above that and are open 24 hours. On my dawn sailing, I saw few people doing laps. Mostly they float around that pool like a regular pool. I am sure if you started doing laps, they would get out of the way. On my sailing, we had a large contingent of Russian/Americans who pretty well dominated the spa and it's surrounding. It was fun to see the waves created on the indoor pool as the ship rocks and rolls. We too had the pool drained and closed for one very rough seas day.

The pool opens at 8 am. If you are a serious swimmer this pool will not meet your expectations. I had posted a similar question before my Dec 19 cruise and heard back from a swimmer who found that drill work was about the only thing you could do properly. I checked out the pool several times and did not get in. Once you push off from the end it only takes a few serious strokes to touch the ends and the number of people who were paddling around does not make for any type of lap swimming. I am not a rude swimmer and swim in such a way as to get people to leave or move out of my way - so I opted not to swim. The Dawn should invest in equipment to make currents you swim against.

The pool opens at 8 am. If you are a serious swimmer this pool will not meet your expectations. I had posted a similar question before my Dec 19 cruise and heard back from a swimmer who found that drill work was about the only thing you could do properly. I checked out the pool several times and did not get in. Once you push off from the end it only takes a few serious strokes to touch the ends and the number of people who were paddling around does not make for any type of lap swimming. I am not a rude swimmer and swim in such a way as to get people to leave or move out of my way - so I opted not to swim. The Dawn should invest in equipment to make currents you swim against.

I know exactly what type pool your talking about. We looked into putting one in an enclosed sunroom. The cost was a bit too high for us at the time. However, it was just what your talking about.

BTW....love your kitty pic....it's hysterical! :D

We just got back from the Dawn on Jan. 20. I used the spa pool a couple of times for laps. It does open at 8AM and when I got there then, I was usually alone or with one other person. The one sea day (day 2) that I didn't get there until around 10AM there were about 4 "standers" and increasing by the minute. When I tried to do a couple of (yes they are short) laps they didn't budge and gave me really dirty looks. They basically stood all over the center of the pool. I gave up as I didn't want to be the rude one.

My advise, get there at 8AM and use the fitness room before that if you want. Have fun. Mary Alice

Hi! I think you are talking about the pool in the spa. For me, that pool was a relaxing experience. There are these "star" lights that slowly change color and twinkle overhead. There are all these pretty urns around, greenery, floor to ceiling windows witha view of the sea, and the sounds of the two hot tubs (one for sitting, one for lounging back). If you find it too small to do laps, relax and enjoy the atmosphere and the comfortable water temp.

The lap pool is in the Spa area. I'm too serious a swimmer to float and relax in a small pool - unless it has a waterslide. Now that's cool. From what I can see on the Jewel, there is a waterslide showing and I'm hoping there is a proper lap pool too. When I think of a lap pool, it is for swimming lengths, not standing or walking, or floating. The pool with currents is also known as Endless Pools and they are a few $$. Not using the pool wasn't a big deal as I did the spinning class - whew! and running, etc. I suggest you bring padded bike shorts for that one.

• 2 months later...

I have some questions about the Dawn fitness center/spa.

What is the age requirement to use these facilities?

My son is a serious swimmer and although from reading the posts the pool doesn't seem like it will be for him, I know he would like to use the gym equipment.

Thanks for any info,

Lisa

When I sailed in Dec I was told the age limit was 18 to use the lap pool and the same for the equipment room. However, I did notice on occasion several teens who looked to be about 16. I did not notice any staff monitoring the fitness centre on a regular basis. They appeared to show up when classes were being run. I would think if your son was with an adult it wouldn't be a problem, but I'm not sure. You can try posting this particular question and see what response you get.

We just returned from the Star and my 17 year old daughter was refused admittance to the Spa. Poor thing was raised not to lie so when they asked her age she told them. I was with her so it wasn't like she was going to run amok but I didn't want to set a bad example by forcing the issue.

I'm not sure if all the ships are this fussy.

However, she was given an empty wine glass when we bought a bottle. No questions asked....

Archived