What is minimum age for discovery scuba?

cobaltman

You must be ten years old to do PADI Discover Scuba.

But just because a child meets the min. age requirement to do a Discover Scuba dive doesn't mean they should do a dive. Maturity level and physical readiness need to be evaluated too.

Have to echo what Bruce says...

Did Discover Scuba with my son (14) and nephew (18) in February. Was a great experience, but it definitely took my son longer to fully understand the directions, exercises, equipment, etc. It is more "technical" than I realized.

Our dive instructor was patient and my son absolutely got it, it just took him longer. I was thinking that I couldn't imagine bringing a kid who was much younger than 13. JMHO.

Two years ago had my 2 sons try it. They were 15 and 13. Before the trip I had them watch the PADI and NAUI OW videos.

They did 2 tanks, quite well.

Last week we were in Cozumel and I arranged DS for them again. They each did another 2 tanks, this time doing backroll entry from boat. Both did well.

My daughter is 12, almost 13 now. She's weaker and I didn't have her try it. Would wait a couple of years for her.

Minimum age is 10. Supervision ratio is a maximum of 4 students to 1 instructor. No more than 2 persons age 10 or 11 in each group of 4 students. Maximum depth in open water is 40ft.

There are programs designed for kids as young as 8 that are for swimming pool only to a maximum depth of 6ft. Many shops will not offer such an option to a one-day visitor.

On a more practical matter, it is harder for kids to stay comfortably warm while diving. They simply have a different surface area to mass ratio than adults. Many shops do not have properly fitting rental wetsuits available in kids sizes. No matter how interested or mentally capable a kid may be, if they are cold they become more distracted which is a recipe for danger. Even "warm" Caribbean waters of 78 to 86 degrees are plenty cold enoght to cause problems.

• 3 months later...

My son was PADI Jr open water certified at 11. Has dove walls in the Cayman up to his max depth of 60ft (give or take) at 12. He does better than me but he is an extremely mature and level headed 12 year old.

They do have a little more difficult time equalizing because their sinus and ears are not fully developed but they do really well.

It all depends on the kid.

B.

Archived