Pinel Island

dalitos

Anyone know the best way to get to Pinel Island?

Should we take a cab from the cruise ship terminal directly there? Or is there a better/faster way?

And also can we walk from there to Orient beach? Or take a cab from one to the other?

You would have to take a cab to get there. There's a water taxi because it is an island. If I remember correctly it leaves from a place called Cul de Sac. I don't think you could walk from one to the other. We could see Orient Beach in the distance but it's not all that close. The water taxi (it's a VERY short ride) costs $7.00 US pp. in a ratty old boat that they cram people into. Part of the charm though I guess. Not much on the island. Water is shallow and there are beach chairs and a couple of bars/restaurants.

Thanks Laura, so I guess I have to take a cab to the cul de sac and then the water cab, right? Do you recommend this beach, or might as well go to Orient beach or some other more popular one?

I'm sure you could get a taxi from Orient Beach to Pinel Island if you wanted to do both. If we hadn't been in St. Maarten for a week I would have been disappointed that this was what we chose to do. The blue water there is gorgeous however. There's really not much there and if you don't get there by around 11:00 the beach chairs are all gone. The island is deserted other than the beach bar area and there are trails you can walk on. There's a little beach on the opposite side. I like Orient Beach better. Or a combo of Mullett Bay Beach and Maho Beach to watch the planes land. They're only a 10-15 minute walk from each other.

Pinel Island:232323232%7Ffp6325%3B%3Enu%3D32%3C9%3E3%3A5%3E7%3A3%3EWSNRCG%3D3447%3A638%3A2337nu0mrj

Mullet Bay Beach:232323232%7Ffp6327%3A%3Enu%3D32%3C9%3E3%3A5%3E7%3A3%3EWSNRCG%3D3447%3A677%3C6337nu0mrj

Plane landing over Maho Beach:

232323232%7Ffp6323%3A%3Enu%3D32%3C9%3E3%3A5%3E7%3A3%3EWSNRCG%3D3447%3A67857337nu0mrj

Far end of Orient Beach:

232323232%7Ffp6325%3A%3Enu%3D32%3C9%3E3%3A5%3E7%3A3%3EWSNRCG%3D3447%3A67855337nu0mrj

Guest Indigogarden

We took the local buses to Marigot and then Cul de Sac and walked about three blocks to the ferry. We wanted to snorkel in the pristine waters---which there was along with a newer reserve for rays and marine life:D. You could have drinks if you are so inclined at the bars on the dock side. The other side is a clothing optional area. All in all we LOVED Pinel and felt like we had truly visited a beach in France. The water visibility was astounding and the coral was gorgeous. Different strokes .... :D

Archived