"Live" from Serenade of the Seas

Sea-shell

Hi everyone - thought I would take a minute to post some info....

Adult Alcoholic Drink Package - couldn't find anywhere that sold them this week - maybe it was a test program and not on all ships

Wine and Dine - only one package available, the one with the more expensive wines was not available

Cybercabin service is great - but a bit slow....we use Road Runner so guess I'm spoiled. Had a question when I tried to set the cybercabin up but they helped me over the phone and it works well.

The ship is beautiful, just a bit different from the Voyager class. All the glass allows you to see the beautiful ocean all the time. Food has been good, the menus have changed a bit, even in Portofino's. Saw Rib Eye steaks available one night, although we didn't try it we heard that is was very good. The entertainment has not been quite as good as on other ships, but since this cruise is port-intensive its ok -

We are being spoiled by the wonderful Maritza, who is always there to help with a smile. She is by far the best Concierge we have ever had.

Time to get ready to go ashore in Antigua!

Hope you had a great day in Antigua! We spent ours with Eli's tour when we visited 2 years ago.

Here's a weird request....if there is any possibility that you get the chance to peek into cabin #9654 please check out the balcony for me!! It is the last cabin on the right hand side of the ship just before the Royal Family Suite. We have this cabin reserved for my relatives on a Panama trip in April and it seems to have extra room on the balcony. A CC poster verified this but RCCL says it is standard sized.

I planned this trip for the relatives and am interested in all your comments on the ship. Thanks!

Sea-shell,

Thanks for posting! We will be boarding the Serenade as you're getting off! How is the weather so far? My friend just got back from a 2 week trip to Puerto Rico and she said it rained every day! Ugh!!! What room are you in? We're staying in 1554 and we have friends in 1056 and 1012. I'm glad to hear that Maritza is still there. She sounds like a really good concierge. Keep posting!

Donna :D

mringenoldus:

RCCL is right.

I've stayed in the Royal Family Suite on the Serenade. The balcony that you are speaking of is standard size. On ship diagrams it does appear larger, but that's just "dead space". To access that space, you'd have to walk on the handrail above open ocean and then it's just a small space with reinforcement beams. Sorry!

The Royal Family Suite's balcony curves around there just a little bit. That area is not very wide and it more for one person at a time for viewing.

They will have a great view back there! Hope they have a great cruise!

We are sailing on the Serenade on 2/12.

Do they keep the same schedule for all cruises? We are interested to know when formal night is. Is it the same, for example is the second night always formal?

AGHGGH I can't even think of all the questions I should be asking. I think its snowblindness that's affecting me.

jo-anne in NY, yup we have double digit temps today ~~ above zero that is.

SeaShell,

We are on the 2/12 sailing too with 1st time cruiser. Would like to know when the muster drill is? Our group is meeting at 5 p.m. at the Sky Bar to get to know each other - well over 30 of us. Have you been to the SkyBar? Is it nice? How long did it take to get your luggage? What time did you embark? What time did the ship leave SJ? How is the weather? Once my group know of your posting, you can bet they're going to be asking you questions. Get ready, and thanks.

Tweek aka - Cath

Sea-shell,

Thanks for posting! We will be on Serenade in three months, doing the trans-Canal trip. You mentioned the Cybercabin and I'm hoping you can answer a couple of questions. I have Roadrunner at home, too, which means I don't have dial-up ISP access. Do you need to have your own ISP to use your laptop in your cabin? Or does RCI provide that setup? I have a dial-up modem in my laptop (though I've never used it). Do I need to bring any other equipment? A phone cable?

Thanks for your help!

Susan

We are sailing on the Serenade on 2/12.

Do they keep the same schedule for all cruises? We are interested to know when formal night is. Is it the same, for example is the second night always formal?

AGHGGH I can't even think of all the questions I should be asking. I think its snowblindness that's affecting me.

jo-anne in NY, yup we have double digit temps today ~~ above zero that is.

Jo-Anne - You need to go to our thread for the Serenade 2/12 sailing here. You will see most, if not all your questions answered.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=57413

Jim

hi sea-shell, we were on the jewel this past christmas so i know how beautiful the ship is. could you...in your spare time....tell me about your excursions? i'm assuming you're doing the southern carib. that's what we'll be doing next dec. i'm living vicariously through your cruise!!!. have a pina coloada for me.

Just curious, but how's the food? I've read a lot of reports that the temperature has been a problem for them, i.e. by the time it gets to the table it is cool.

Also, which side of the port is it on, the side nearest the airport or the far side near Fort El Morro, Fort Cristobol, and old San Juan.

One last question, did embarcation go smoothly?

Hi Sea Shell,

We (19 of us) will be on the Serenade on 2/19, can't wait! So here are some of my questions: Is there a soda package? NO alcoholic beverage package? What excursions have you done and would you recommend? In St. Thomas how far is the shopping area from the ship? What time did they let you board the ship? What type of cabin are you in? OMG I can go on and on... Anything else you have to mention would be great. Enjoy your trip.. Will be waiting patiently for your reply.... If you have time!

Mttk2 (Kathy)

Hi everyone! Had a nice day on Antigua, did the island historical tour. It was ok - there were all sorts of little bugs flying around which bothered us a bt, but the island is beautiful.

Our weather here has been pretty nice - it rained a little while on St. Maartin (did Orient Beach) but I will take a little rain over our usual snow any day!

Regarding embarkation - it was very fast! Just walked right up to the counter and went on our way. The only thing was we got to the pier early (11:30) and were allowed to board, but couldn't put our carry ons in the cabin as they weren't quite ready for us. No big deal, just carried them with us as we checked things out and picked up my cybercabin cord.

Cybercabin is great - they provide the ISP, all you need is the modem in your lap top. They provide the cord and give you instructions on how to connect to their network.

Food has been fine, temp ok, could be a bit warmer. Last night the Captain ate in the dining room, and since we share his waiter the poor servers were running around like chickens with their head cut off, but their service was still wonderful!

Sorry, time to dress for dinner, then off to the Love and Marriage Game Show!

Jo-Anne - You need to go to our thread for the Serenade 2/12 sailing here. You will see most, if not all your questions answered.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=57413

Jim

Thanks Jim. I just spent 2 hours going through the thread. Wow you all are so organized.

Thanks for the help.

Jo-Anne

Thanks so much for responding about the Internet access, Sea-shell! You've put my mind at ease, because I've been worrying about being gone from the office for two entire weeks. I've never done that before.

I really hope that Maritza is still the concierge when we sail. I've read nothing but good things about her. We will be in cabin 1562, which is pretty convenient to the concierge lounge.

Since we don't sail for nearly three months, I'll be living vicariously through your posts as well. Thanks again,

Susan

Thanks so much for responding about the Internet access, Sea-shell! You've put my mind at ease, because I've been worrying about being gone from the office for two entire weeks. I've never done that before.

I really hope that Maritza is still the concierge when we sail. I've read nothing but good things about her. We will be in cabin 1562, which is pretty convenient to the concierge lounge.

Since we don't sail for nearly three months, I'll be living vicariously through your posts as well. Thanks again,

Susan

MBeam,

I will be looking forward to your review as we are in 1562 three weeks later.

Jim

Hi Serenaders,

Can anybody on board -- or has just returned -- comment on the entertainment. Got my hands on the Halloween 2004 Cruise Compass and the performances were:

Day 1 - Welcome Aboard Show

Day 2 - Vibeology

Day 3 - Comedian Joey Van

Day 4 - Magic of Drew Thomas

Day 5 - Stage to Screen

Day 6 - Singer and comedian Jody Kolba

Splendora - I see you are also on the 2/12 Serenade sailing. There are a bunch of us cruisers on the roll call board. Please come join us. If you click on the link at the end of my signature it will take you to us.

Archived