The Coral, The Panama Canal and LA - An Aussie viewpoint!

Are you two suggesting that I sometimes intrude into other people's conversations. How very dare you!

I agree about LAX, it hasn't improved since we were there 15 years ago, our local airport in NE England has many more facilities and food outlets.

See, I didn't interrupt and it was relevant. I am now leaving the room because I'm upset. ( sorry everyone-private joke)

Jim

Are you two suggesting that I sometimes intrude into other people's conversations. How very dare you!

I agree about LAX, it hasn't improved since we were there 15 years ago, our local airport in NE England has many more facilities and food outlets.

See, I didn't interrupt and it was relevant. I am now leaving the room because I'm upset. ( sorry everyone-private joke)

Jim

I can only say I wish I flew home from Long Beach.

PS Jim-please stay in the room, we'll be kind

Jim

Oh god, I do miss you Jim!

Fabulous review, really enjoyed reading it. I have been to most of the places in the review so brings back memories. I have to agree with the person who said to go to Disney, Epcot etc in Florida. We found Disney etc and seaworld much better in Florida, however, different to you we loved San Diego but we went when it was very warm. And Las Vegas was very hot when we went, we have been about 5 times now and would go again today. Great review again, will miss the daily read. Thank you. :)

Someone on another thread alerted me to your review - what a great review - thanks so much for posting.

I'm surprised that you haven't found pastries before in hotels here in Oz or elsewhere - I've seen offered cake on the buffett selection - yes cake - for breakfast in a hotel in Canberra as well as on the MSC cruise line.

I agree with you about LAX - a pretty poor airport by any standards but I don't understand why. Surely it must collect a lot of taxes from incoming/outgoing passengers that it can put to good use in providing better amenities? The airport was more-or-less in the same state of renovation in Dec 2008 as it was in Oct 2009 and any Aussie buying a Macca's "meal deal" at Terminal 7 ?? (where Qantas flies from) don't expect to get a drink included - it was the dearest Macca's "meal deal" that we've ever paid for.

As for tipping, like you say when in Rome, but I do agree, once you add the taxes and the tips, many times it worked out more expensive for us but groceries are definitely cheaper.

I do disagree about Las Vegas. We've been there twice - once in Dec 2008 - it was snowing !!! - and again last year. We don't gamble or drink really, but I love the shopping, the bright lights and all the shows you can see - we'll be back and hopefully next time we'll make it out to the Grand Canyon too.

Thanks again for posting your report - loved it !!

Dinner in the dining room and off to bed' date=' we were totally exhausted. ( I was going to say buggered but I don’t know if you can say that on these threads, so I said exhausted instead).[/font']

I loved reading every word of your excellent review and thought the photos were great.

However, my prize for the funniest quote goes to the one above - roflmao :D

Eileen- I have really enjoyed your review & pictures. Hope you're adjusting to cooking & making your own bed etc!

It's a shame about the LA airport, Kennedy in New York was the same way & I was amazed. Those airports welcome a lot of visitors from other countries so they should really be something fabulous.

Patty, I can assure you that the Pepperidge Farm Tim Tams are exactly the same as the Australian ones. Warning: They're highly addictive!!

Eileen, fantastic review, thanks so much. I'm so glad you had a good time but I'm sorry you didn't see San Diego at its best. It's one of the most beautiful cities in the country and usually has fantastic weather year-round. You'll just have to come back to the U.S. sometime and try again! And next time you have to include my hometown, Washington, D.C.: a must-see in my not-so-impartial opinion!

Wow! Eileen, what a GREAT review! I am so glad you had a good time and glad to hear you will be coming back! Next trip you can come to the south and experience some of our hospitality!! And your pictures (and picture posting) were great!

I love the pictures of Disneyland (DisneyWorld is much better). My sister and I will be taking Davis on his first trip to Disneyland in the fall!! Can't wait!

Glad you made it home and thanks again for a wonderful review and pictures!! Like Sandi said earlier, a review is just not a review without pictures!!!

See ya on the other side... lol!!!

Pam

Wow, Eileen, just a great review. Love all the pics too.

We also are amazed at the pastries at breaky. Give me some Vegemite on toast,any day.

But the joy of travelling is experiencing different foods & cultures.

We are off to the States in 39 days(who's counting hey!) Doing 3 days LA, 7 day mexican cruise & 4 days Vegas....Cant wait!!!!!

Cheers

Tanya

Eileen, What a fabulous, fabulous reveiw. Loved the commentary and thoroughly enjoyed the pictures. It's so interesting to hear what visitors to the US have to say about our country and lifestyles. You really did a great job. Kudos and thank you so much for taking the time to post this review. As Pam said, "see you on the other side"!!

Loved it, Eileen. And I did get honorable mention. :D One question. Does Clive ever wear long pants? Everyone is freezing and wearing parkas/jackets and there stands Clive in his shorts. Brrrrrrrrrrrrrr.....

It was great meeting you both.

MAZANDSTEVE - Thanks for your comments - next time we will have to try Florida Disney.

Noram2 and bjonthego - Enjoy your trip - you will love it.

Dougo in Oz - They really need to do something with LAX - get up with the times. It is a shame that visitors are met with that as their first impressions when arriving in America.

tequilasunrise - Thanks for your comments and we really did make some lifelong friends on this trip. We will be back as I have said. I am just waiting for the cruises for 2012 to open up to decide on our Med trip and another Mexico/LA trip. We did enjoy Mexico.

FridaythecatUK - Thanks, glad you enjoyed my humour. I tried not to write how I speak (with all my aussie slang) because no one would be able to understand it.

Patty, I can assure you that the Pepperidge Farm Tim Tams are exactly the same as the Australian ones. Warning: They're highly addictive!!

Eileen, fantastic review, thanks so much. I'm so glad you had a good time but I'm sorry you didn't see San Diego at its best. It's one of the most beautiful cities in the country and usually has fantastic weather year-round. You'll just have to come back to the U.S. sometime and try again! And next time you have to include my hometown, Washington, D.C.: a must-see in my not-so-impartial opinion!

Now I will have to buy a package. I'm already addicted to PF Mint Milanos and Mint Brussels.

Loved it, Eileen. And I did get honorable mention. :D One question. Does Clive ever wear long pants? Everyone is freezing and wearing parkas/jackets and there stands Clive in his shorts. Brrrrrrrrrrrrrr.....

I was checking out the photo trying to figure out which one is you.

Tanya (stki) - Have a great trip. I agree about the vegemite. I bought a traveller pack of vegemite to take on our travels. Because of the last minute packing stress I didn't think and packed it in my carry on luggage (food, right? Have to declare it) Idiot! :eek: It was over the 100g and they confiscated it! NOOOOO! They customs guy asked why I didn't pack it in my checked in luggage Grrrrrr.

Make sure you pack it in your checked in luggage.

Hi Pia!

Yeah, you know the old saying "No sense, no feeling" :D Clive is one of these guys that just won't wear long pants. Just as well we live in the tropics. When he travels to Sydney or Melbourne in winter (and it can get cold there too) his concession to the cold is to put a jacket on. You can tell it is REALLY cold when he puts one on. I hate being cold and can't stand it.

That day in San Diego was absolutely the coldest I have been in my entire life. I have been snow skiing and grew up in Sydney during cold winters and lived in country towns that snow in winter but that day will go down in my history as the coldest one yet. I hope it has warmed up since then.

B&C's mum-

Thank you so much for the review, I loved it! It was nice to see the pictures, as I am doing the Panama Canal this October. I live in Orange County and you should know that while February/March are normally a colder time for us, this year is an el nino year, which means all kinds of wacky weather. It was HOT today, and to put on the a/c! Can't wait to read your review next year!

Wonderful report Billy and Charlies Mum, thank you.

I have a question for you, being a fellow Australian, did you require yellow fever vaccations for the Panama Canal. My husband just told me that he thought we would have problems re-entering at Brisbane international if we didnt have a yellow fever vaccination certificate.

Appreciate your advice

Wonderful report Billy and Charlies Mum, thank you.

I have a question for you, being a fellow Australian, did you require yellow fever vaccations for the Panama Canal. My husband just told me that he thought we would have problems re-entering at Brisbane international if we didnt have a yellow fever vaccination certificate.

Appreciate your advice

There were no vaccinations required at all for the countries we visited. We did however have the swine flu vaccination before we left just in case. It is free anyway so we thought, why not?

Archived