Ultimate balcony dining worth $32?

beachfollower

We did Ultimate Balcony Dining the first week of our back to back ($100 total for 2 of us plus tip) and we loved it so much we booked it again for the second week. It is an amazing experience and will be one of the reasons we pick a Princess cruise again instead of any other line.

A head waiter and a junior waiter come to your room and set up a table on your balcony. The table from our balcony was put in the corner with a table cloth and used for the water jug, etc.

We got our choice of drink, we both got white wine, and they also brought a bottle of champagne.

Started with appetizers, very good and then the best crab cakes I have ever had (I don't like crab cakes normally). They seemed to be willing to work out substitutions if you wanted, just ask in advance.

We then got a large salad. It was also great.

We got the surf and turf, there were other options that they gave you. The steak was large and very good and the lobster was huge (my husband who is a chef thought it was 8 pounds). Both were really really really good.

They then brought a few different deserts. There was a mouse and berry plate, one of the special chocolate cakes that they bring to the dining room for birthdays, etc. and some other small cookies, etc.

The waiter and head waiter are out in the hall and come in to fill drinks, and remove plates, etc. They seem to know the perfect time to come in.

Also, a photographer comes to the room at the start and takes pictures of you and you get to pick one free (and could buy more). Our waiter also took pictures for us using our own camera so that was nice.

It was a really nice experience sitting out and enjoying the sailaway while being served a fancy dinner.

Both times we did the earlier time choice even though we normally eat at the late seating (I think it was 6:00ish ?) so we had some sunlight and could enjoy sailing away from the islands while eating. Both times we were glad we did because as we were finishing up it seemed to get windier and less pleasant. Our waiter said that was common and he liked the earlier one better as the late one was often winder and just not as nice. The flowers they sit on your table started getting blown around (they do put them in a jug though so nothing spilled). But with hair blowing, etc., it was just not as nice.

Anyway, we highly recommend the experience. The second week we were going to go to the Crown grill instead but after the first Ultimate Balcony dining experience it was impossible to think about not doing it again.

In the beginning of the UBB, I used to recommend it wholeheartedly. Now I'm not so sure. The price has risen, the champagne isn't as good, there are no king crab legs anymore, and the last time there was no tablecloth. It probably wouldn't matter to anyone who hadn't had the breakfast earlier in its promotion, but I (my opinion only) wouldn't bother again. Except for the champagne, you can get much the same thing in the MDR.

I will say that there was plenty left over for lunch. Nancy

In the beginning of the UBB, I used to recommend it wholeheartedly. Now I'm not so sure. The price has risen, the champagne isn't as good, there are no king crab legs anymore, and the last time there was no tablecloth.

We've been having the Ultimate Balcony Breakfast (UBB) since day 1 and have never had a table cloth, let alone table service. In fact, every time they have just brought in the trays of food and left them for us to serve ourselves. One time, we were in an inside cabin and ordered it because we wanted a change from the ordinary!

We had the balcony breakfast special on the Island Princess as we were actually going through the locks of the Panama Canal, which was also my other half's birthday. Perfect...no wind because of the stop and creep pace through the locks. The photographers were on the center divide of the locks with long lenses. So we have a photo of us clinking our champagne glasses looking outward from the balcony, and the food was great! Too much even.

So do it to celebrate an event or based on where you are. Since they are primarily on sea days, or heading to an afternoon port arrival, the wind could be an issue...but you can always bring it inside and still enjoy the event.

If you enjoy fruit, quiche, smoked salmon and lots of pastries and a small bottle of champagne go for it...we did it a couple times but now I feel the food is just not worth the extra $$. We always had so many leftovers and to be honest, I felt it a big waste, who wants to eat leftovers the next day when there is fresh food made daily. I'd rather use the $$ for gambling or buying something else. Now we just order through room service,enjoy our lite breakfast on the balcony with lots of coffee:)

Archived