Disabling the "phone" in iPhone?

I would like to bring my iPhone on our cruise but want to disable it where no calls or texts can be received. Is this even possible and if so, what do I need to do? I would like to use the iPod and alarm part of it without worrying about a high phone bill when I get back. :eek:

Thanks!

I would like to bring my iPhone on our cruise but want to disable it where no calls or texts can be received. Is this even possible and if so, what do I need to do? I would like to use the iPod and alarm part of it without worrying about a high phone bill when I get back. :eek:

Thanks!

Turn it in "airplane" mode. No text, phone or data but the rest of the iPhone can be used. Enjoy.

Thanks!

I believe you can set the iphone to airplane mode, and still have all the functions you want...

Ditto to what Parkay and Scot said. One additional thing to check.

Settings--> General--> Network-->> Be sure "Data Roaming" is set to OFF.

I know "Airplane Mode" disables ALL radios on the phone, but making sure this is off will prevent the phone from any data access.

Ditto to what Parkay said. One additional thing to check.

Settings--> General--> Network->> Be sure "Data Roaming" is set to OFF.

I know "Airplane Mode" disables ALL radios on the phone, but making sure this is off will prevent the phone from any data access.

And thanks for that bit of info too....I'll print this off and make sure I do that.

As a triple protection, you can also remove your SIM card (using the pin/SIM eject module).

Without the SIM, your carrier (AT&T?), will not be able to charge you anything, on the other hand you won't be able to make any calls (besides 911).

this is what att said to do.

Q. How do I minimize my data charges when I use my iPhone outside the U.S.?

A. The iPhone has many robust applications, so it's natural for users to transfer more data on their iPhone than they would using other handsets or PDA devices. AT&T offers the following tips to keep your bill predictable:

–Turn Data Roaming “OFF”

–Use Wi-Fi instead of 3G/GPRS/EDGE

–Turn Fetch New Data “OFF”

–Consider purchasing an international data package

–Reset the usage tracker to zero

A. The iPhone has many robust applications, so it's natural for users to transfer more data on their iPhone than they would using other handsets or PDA devices. AT&T offers the following tips to keep your bill predictable:

–Turn Data Roaming “OFF”

Thanks for this good info !

If you turn to airlplane mode, can you still get e-mail or does it just disable phone-text related functions ?

Airplane mode shuts down all connectivity with the network. I'm not sure if it shuts down a wi-fi connection, but I believe you would not be charged from the cell provider for wi-fi usage.

Airplane mode shuts down all connectivity with the network. I'm not sure if it shuts down a wi-fi connection, but I believe you would not be charged from the cell provider for wi-fi usage.

Airplane mode also shuts down a wifi connection.

I'm not sure that putting the phone in Airplane mode keeps data from getting onto it, though. As others have said, data roaming should be turned off, and you should also make sure that you're fetching new data manually.

Knock wood, I've not yet been hit with any charges other than the occasional phone call or outgoing text message (receiving texts is free, BTW, but sending them is .50).

–Turn Data Roaming “OFF”

This will not prevent all data from coming through, or phone calls, texts, etc. The only way to disable everything and not incur charges is to turn the phone on airplane mode.

Airplane mode also shuts down a wifi connection.

I'm not sure that putting the phone in Airplane mode keeps data from getting onto it, though. As others have said, data roaming should be turned off, and you should also make sure that you're fetching new data manually.

Knock wood, I've not yet been hit with any charges other than the occasional phone call or outgoing text message (receiving texts is free, BTW, but sending them is .50).

Yes, it does. Airplane mode prevents data from coming through or going out, period. No email, no phone calls, no text messages, nothing. Airplane mode will automaticall turn data roaming off anyway, so there is no need for that.

I've been an iPhone user since day one of the iPhone, and traveled throughout many countries on cruises and land based vacations, and never had one single data charge on my bill. Now my work phone, that's another story. But I don't have to pay for that one. LOL

This will not prevent all data from coming through, or phone calls, texts, etc. The only way to disable everything and not incur charges is to turn the phone on airplane mode.

You have to make sure that WiFi is turned off as well or that it is set to manually connect. I have used my phone in airplane mode with the Wifi on when I have been in areas with free wifi and it works just fine.

You have to make sure that WiFi is turned off as well or that it is set to manually connect. I have used my phone in airplane mode with the Wifi on when I have been in areas with free wifi and it works just fine.

wifi is for internet use only and does not incur any data or phone/text charges. It's fine to have wifi on whenever you want.

Archived