Do away with cabin stewards

islahopper

I like the Cabin Stewards.

Too bad you couldn't pay extra to pick a specific one though. As excellent as the service has always been, I always seem to get the nice 50 year old guy Steward. I would pay extra for the hot "French Maid" upgrade if it was available.

They have those in Nevada.

Seriously? Leave the stewards alone. If you don't like the level of service being provided, kindly tell them not to disturb you and allow you wallow in your own filth. (And I mean that in the nicest possible way.)

And man ... I used to think I was living like a twenty-year-old college guy until I read this. Apparently I'm becoming less tolerant of dirty towels and linens in my advanced age.

I was raised by a mother who keeps the house cleaner than most hospital operating rooms. Old habits die hard.

To this day you can live in a Beverly Hills mansion. If you have dirty dishes in the sink,and the beds are unmade , to me it looks like a slum.

You never ever lay on the bed with the bedspread still on it. I can't repeat here what my mother calls it when you pull the curtain to the side and drape it on the rod to let light in :)

OP. I'm going to agree with you! I am anti-making the bed, am fine using the same towel for a week (that's what I do at home) and don't like the towel animals!

Maybe carnival could add a choice during booking. "No cabin steward", then you can save on the tips! :D

How is not making your bed gross :confused:

Ok, so doing away with the stewards sounds like an unpopular option. But what about reducing the number of visits they make? Do you REALLY need your room cleaned TWICE a day?

And how many of us honestly don't lift a finger in our cabins? I make an effort to keep the room at least semi picked up, because I would be extremely embarassed to know that someone else had to wade through my mess to do their jobs.

I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE having my room cleaned twice a day, and bed made twice a day if I take a nap!!!!

Nope I am voting with the "have you lost your minds???" group.

Get rid of the bingo and the one man band guy if you want to save money but leave my cabin steward alone!!!

PS: are you the one that also suggested taking out the dining room to get more cabins on the ship??:eek:

Cheers, Carole

How is not making your bed gross :confused:

It's not. (Not a big bed-maker myself.) I think it's the reusing of the same towels for a whole week, considering the poor ventilation and the fact that stuff like that doesn't really dry all that well on the ships that has people skeeved-out.

Do you REALLY need your room cleaned TWICE a day?

Depends on the cabin size. Two women in an inside ... yeah, I do. I need someone check the towels and ice twice a day. ;) I NEED STAFF!

And how many of us honestly don't lift a finger in our cabins? I make an effort to keep the room at least semi picked up, because I would be extremely embarassed to know that someone else had to wade through my mess to do their jobs.

Tis not a matter of need, but rather of want. I *want* someone to straighten my stuff up twice a day. I *want* someone to turn my bed down and leave me the next day's capers. I *want* someone to make little animals out of towels for me. It's part of the experience and one of the vestiges of cruising's ultra-exclusive past.

I got up this morning looked at my unmade bed for the sixth day in a row, showered and used the same towel I've used all week and it got me to thinking. Why do we have to have the room cleaned twice a day, towels changed daily, bed made? I don't do this at home, I can fold my own towel animal, I can go up on deck and fill my own ice bucket, I can trade a dirty towel for a clean one on deck if needed. So are cabin stewards needed? If the cruise line was to cut them out, would it make a difference?

They also wash, disinfect and clean. The big difference between your house and a room on a cruise ship is that the occupants change weekly and bring with them their own sets of germs and unhealthy behaviors.

If the cruise line was to cut them out, would it make a difference?

Yes. Then I wouldn't be on vacation. I would be doing exactly what I do every other day of my life except I would be paying extra to do it.

I have only been on one cruise.BUT I felt like he was taking care of me,looking out for me.We always go on land vacations where I still have to provide food,make beds and provide clean towels and with no tip at the end.A cruise is for me.I have my own personal caretaker.And yes I did and will provide an additional tip for him/her because I know what a thankless job it can be.

Maybe the OP should try a cruise on a barge or freighter or with the deadliest catch crew..im sure they dont have cabin stewards and the OP would probably feel right at home

My wife took a ferry boat to Alaska one time, they slept in tents on the deck.....there are options like this. Maybe stay in a hostel somewhere??

I got up this morning looked at my unmade bed for the sixth day in a row, showered and used the same towel I've used all week and it got me to thinking. Why do we have to have the room cleaned twice a day, towels changed daily, bed made? I don't do this at home, I can fold my own towel animal, I can go up on deck and fill my own ice bucket, I can trade a dirty towel for a clean one on deck if needed. So are cabin stewards needed? If the cruise line was to cut them out, would it make a difference?

What are you saying? I like the pampered feel of having someone clean up after me. If I have to do all that I might as well just go camping. Bite your tounge.

Archived