Do away with cabin stewards

islahopper

Yes keep the cabin stewards!!! We rented a cabin in the mountains 2 years in a row and who did all the housework while everyone else relaxed and was on "vacation"? :( me!

I would MUCH rather go on a vaction where I didnt have to do the things I already do on a daily basis!

Boy do I hear you there...we rent a cabin in Canada every summer and I'll give you 3 guesses as to does the cooking and cleaning and the first two guesses don't count ;)..That is why we also cruise so I can be pampered and have my bed made and my bathroom cleaned and my meals prepared for me and have them served to me and have the table cleared for me...WELL worth the gratuity and more IMHO :D

I agree with the majority here. Keep the cabin stewards.

I'm not a slob and do some cleaning items on a daily and other on a weekly basis.

When I'm on the cruise, I keep my cabin in a reasonable shape,but love the fact after a day in port to return to a clean cabin. I also love returning after dinner to a clean cabin with dim lights, a towel animal and a chocalate on the bed.

I'm on vacation, I don't want to cook,clean or worry about such stuff.

Now one of my aunts don't like the stewards in her cabin when she cruise. She leaves the "do not disturb" sign on the door at all times. On the first day, she tells the steward that and let them know if she see them in the hallway to give her fresh towels and ice. On one cruise, the manager over the housekeeping left her a message. He wondered if the staff had failed to do something right (I guess they wanted to double check on why that room was not clean after two days in a row) she told him that no one but her and her husband was allowed in their cabin. She made their beds and tidy up. That was her choice,but she did leave the tips on (the rest of the family would had killed her! She and her husband are cheap,but taking about $20 off,no way!!)

But like Gargoyle999stated, I wonder they don't want to pay he tips.

Prehaps they want a true a la carte cruise. Clean your own room? No tips for the steward!! Eat in the buffet everynight? No tips!!!

No matter what we say or write, there are still those who don't want to pay even the daily $10 per day. Recall before autotips? This same aunt and uncle were the type that would not leave anything after a cruise at all!! Some people are just like that!!

Even if eliminating cabin stewards were a good idea, who would clean the cabins on turnaround day? I wouldn't want to stay in a cabin that the previous occupant had cleaned for me. If you need stewards to clean the cabins on turnaround day, what do they do the rest of the week, wait tables?

It may be fine and dandy for yourself...but unfortuntaely- those of us with kids would never have a moents rest!

Like some other posters have mentioned- when on vacation with kids (and my DH is the biggest kid of all ;)), I really don't want to have to make beds, pick up wet towels, get ice, etc...if I wanted to do that I would stay home!!;)

Just for the record, bed is still unmade and my towel didn't really smell that bad this morning. But I always tip the cabin steward extra on every cruise. Dw needs a ashtray, we need extra ice, we have the fridge cleaned out, extra bedding and clean towels. I know the stewards work hard and they always do a good job, but I could get along just fine without them. As far as being a slob at home, DW drinks too much to clean and I'm just plain lazy and thanks to heavy medication I can live with it. Folks have a nice day and thanks for not flaming me.

:p
It seriously just occured to me that posters like the OP are what keep CCL with their wal-mart reputation.

I can't imagine any posters on any of the other boards even contemplating going stewardless.

[B]*shakeshead*[/B]

I am very glad nobody else thought this was a good idea.

[quote name='Brewzz']Want to cruise without a steward?

See your local Navy Recruiter!!![/quote]

HA!! Now THAT'S funny...

The stewards are there for the same reason as the waitstaff in the DR, to provide a service that makes guests feel 'special,' and you can bet for sanitation control, too. 3000 people (plus crew) in such a closed space with NO change of linens/towels, no cleaning of bathrroms :eek: or corridors or surfaces for a week or more?? YIKES YIKES YIKES YIKES.

The answer to your question is yes, the stewards ARE most definitely necessary.

I love my cabin stewardts. I love coming back to the room at night and having my bed turned down. Your on a vacation, I don't want to clean my own room. Besides for the most part these people are paid by tips. Carnival would not save much money by getting rid of them, but would make a lot of customers angry.

If you don't want service tell them. If it's about tipping, really are you that strapped on money? Won't make that much difference in ticket prices but the good news is you would be able to smell the boat before it gets to port. That many guests in such close quarters? Can you say ripe. If want to do for enviroment ok tell them to not change bedding or towels. But get rest of room cleaned. But we go on vacation and a perk is not cleaning yet everyday having a clean place to come in and pass out. Not to mention the cost is not much to us. But take that job away from that person. You costed that person 40000. And that's just one person. Think of the thousands that work for cruiseliners. All to save a person a couple bucks. Though either person posted it just to see reaction, or only thought thier job was to change towels and beds. Not clean and disinfect. Only takes one room to effect the whole ship. And as far as the towel animals, I looked it up and it's not agianst the law to beat them up and take out your aggression on them. Lol so if don't like them go nuts.

[quote name='halos']:p
It seriously just occured to me that posters like the OP are what keep CCL with their wal-mart reputation.

I can't imagine any posters on any of the other boards even contemplating going stewardless.

[B]*shakeshead*[/B]

I am very glad nobody else thought this was a good idea.[/quote]

SHIRLEY, You cannot believe the OP was serious!!:D:D

THANKS ALOT OP!!!!!

Now some bean counter will make a proposal to CCL RCI or NCL to eliminate the stewards as a cost cutting measure.

Hey, this can be Freestyle 2.01 at NCL - you just get an empty space on board then pay $5/day for a set of towels, $15/day for a bed, $5/day to have the bathroom unlocked, and $10/visit for a steward. That way you have plenty of choices.

[quote name='islahopper']I got up this morning looked at my unmade bed for the sixth day in a row, showered and used the same towel I've used all week and it got me to thinking. Why do we have to have the room cleaned twice a day, towels changed daily, bed made? I don't do this at home, I can fold my own towel animal, I can go up on deck and fill my own ice bucket, I can trade a dirty towel for a clean one on deck if needed. So are cabin stewards needed? If the cruise line was to cut them out, would it make a difference?[/quote]

Maybe you are looking at this wrong;

Instead of doing away with the cabin stewards,

START MAKING YOUR BED AND CLEANING YOUR ROOM,

and for the same towel all week all I can say is

eww,

[quote name='MargaritaPlease']Monority? I'll at least boost it to stereority.

I like this idea! You could at least make them an optional service for which you pay an extra fee! You could do the same in the main dining room!! Offer a buffet or, for those who appreciate the napkin waving dancers, offer wait staff as an extra cost option!! Think of the savings just in tips!!

Wait, wait... What if you charged an extra fee for the engines and everyone else had to help row!?!?!? I think we could really be onto something here!!![/quote]

Wait, here is another, if everyone worked one hour during the crusie it would eliminate about 20 people and would reduce the overall cost of the cruise, and it would be fun, learning a new trade,

I would be the smugglers inspection collector, (free booze)

[quote name='waldocruiser1']Wait, here is another, if everyone worked one hour during the crusie it would eliminate about 20 people and would reduce the overall cost of the cruise, and it would be fun, learning a new trade,

I would be the smugglers inspection collector, (free booze)[/quote]

You go ahead and do the work to collect it. I will store it for you in my cabin. I will also test it just to verify that it is actually booze. Wouldn't want to confiscate water that was stored in a vodka bottle.

[quote name='islahopper']I got up this morning looked at my unmade bed for the sixth day in a row,[/quote]

Just throw the covers up to the top of the bed when you get up each day; only takes a second and doesn't have to be perfect. Of course, if you have a maid, just leave it as messy as you want! :p

I don't get spoiled by a hotel maid or cabin steward, but on this last cruise my service dog sure did - she started doing her own bed turn-down service when we got home!! :D

[quote name='islahopper'] showered and used the same towel I've used all week[/quote]

Eww. Fresh towels is a definite need, both at home and on the road (or water).

[quote name='islahopper']Why do we have to have the room cleaned twice a day, towels changed daily, bed made? I don't do this at home, I can fold my own towel animal, I can go up on deck and fill my own ice bucket, I can trade a dirty towel for a clean one on deck if needed. So are cabin stewards needed? If the cruise line was to cut them out, would it make a difference?[/quote]

Because you're on vacation. Because it keeps the cruiseline's personal property (ship/rooms, towels, etc.) in good shape. Because some ppl (not me) do have maids/househelp at home. Because people enjoy it. Because ppl pay for it. Because ppl expect it. Because cruising is a luxury. Because it is nice to be pampered. Stuff like that. :)

[quote name='halos']:p
[B]It seriously just occured to me that posters like the OP are what keep CCL with their wal-mart reputation.[/B]

[B]*shakeshead*[/B]

I am very glad nobody else thought this was a good idea.[/QUOTE]

Too funny! Just recently someone posted that they put their loveseat on the balcony :eek: You might be a redneck...

###

Archived