Do away with cabin stewards

islahopper

[quote name='islahopper']I got up this morning looked at my unmade bed for the sixth day in a row, showered and used the same towel I've used all week and it got me to thinking. Why do we have to have the room cleaned twice a day, towels changed daily, bed made? I don't do this at home, I can fold my own towel animal, I can go up on deck and fill my own ice bucket, I can trade a dirty towel for a clean one on deck if needed. So are cabin stewards needed? If the cruise line was to cut them out, would it make a difference?[/quote]

Just out of curiosity....when you cruise to Slobbeekistan, is it a tender port or do you get to dock?

[quote name='dan40']There's a cruiseline called Easy Cruise that is absolutely "no Frills" No MDR, you buy your food or bring it and,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,Oh yeah, they're SUNK! Never mind!!!:rolleyes:[/quote]

There is a pizza place near here. Customers pay the place and then make their own pizza. Same difference.

I like having a cabin steward. Its all part of the vacation experience. I pay good money to go on vacation so a little pampering is nice. Plus every steward I have had has always made my vacation more enjoyable. They have all been really friendly and its nice to get to know people from other backgrounds.

[quote name='lulubell']Now playing Devil's advocate....
Say the charge was $30 a day and you could actually get to choose every morning whether to have the room cleaned or not....then would you skip some days...:D[/quote]

If you say the charge was $30 a day, I would say hello different cruise line.

Im sure there is some really cheap ship out there where you dont get much service (Bahamas Celebration). Just book on that. (of course people do that and then come complain in a post that their $79 cruise sucked).

[quote name='lulubell']Now playing Devil's advocate....
Say the charge was $30 a day and you could actually get to choose every morning whether to have the room cleaned or not....then would you skip some days...:D[/quote]

That would be the Dollar General Store cruise line?
Well, anyway, it'd be in line with the WalMart Cruise Line.

[quote name='islahopper']I got up this morning looked at my unmade bed for the sixth day in a row, showered and used the same towel I've used all week and it got me to thinking. Why do we have to have the room cleaned twice a day, towels changed daily, bed made? I don't do this at home, I can fold my own towel animal, I can go up on deck and fill my own ice bucket, I can trade a dirty towel for a clean one on deck if needed. So are cabin stewards needed? If the cruise line was to cut them out, would it make a difference?[/QUOTE]

You are clearly suffering from some sort of temporary mental malady. Seek professional help immediate. Carnivals' booking line is 1-800-CRUISEMYASSOFF

[quote name='islahopper']I got up this morning looked at my unmade bed for the sixth day in a row, showered and used the same towel I've used all week and it got me to thinking. Why do we have to have the room cleaned twice a day, towels changed daily, bed made? I don't do this at home, I can fold my own towel animal, I can go up on deck and fill my own ice bucket, I can trade a dirty towel for a clean one on deck if needed. So are cabin stewards needed? If the cruise line was to cut them out, would it make a difference?[/quote]

There are no stupid threads on the CC boards, however if there were..........

Doc:p

OMG! A cruise without a steward? The incredible pampering is one of the best things about a cruise! Would I have to get my own ice 2-3 times a day to keep the back-up buckets of beer cold??? WAY too much work!!
Cabin stewards are AWESOME!!!
BTW I agree 100% with the previous poster who said FIRE THE BACON POLICE!!!!!:)

What?! It wouldn't be the same without them! One thing you can count on is your bed being ready, clean towels, and nice animals waiting for you after returning from dinner.

I personally like a clean room, clean linens, etc and while on vacation - and I didn't come to do it myself!

You can always ask the steward to not clean your room if you wish.

Are you just trying to start something on this thread????

So of us want to have a clean room at home as well as on vacation.

Islahopper: I agree with you. I think just once a day cleaning or every other day cleaning. Gosh!! I thought everyone reuses their towels. We do here!! Others make a good point, though, about folks being pigs, so I guess that is the need for cabin attendants.

Wow! Lots of bitter people.

I like the question that really put it in perspective, which was: If the fee for regular steward service was $30 per day, and you could opt out of service some days, would you?

I don't think the original poster was saying the cabin stewards are overpaid or that they don't work hard or don't do a good job. I think he (?) was just saying they provide a service he doesn't value.

I have similarly wondered myself what the equivalent fee reduction would be to opt out of main dining room service.

In reality, I think it would probably be more expense an hassle for the cruise line to keep track of and schedule work assignments if the service needs varied by passenger and even day-to-day.

From the postings on this thread, most members value the service. Odd though that so many people post as if there are only two possible states of living: "pampered by a steward" or "slob".

When I leave my cabin, it is in good shape. My things are away, I don't leave anything lying around. I pick up after myself. I appreciate that we need staff to periodically clean/disinfect to ensure health and safety standards. But I agree that if this is done daily or twice daily, it is obviously far more than the average person does at home and therefore far more than is necessary for those same health and safety standards.

But I also appreciate, for example, that some people at home use a clean towel after every shower and then replace it with a new one. I really am shaking my head at that thought as I type this because it seems so unnecessary to me. But I appreciate that some people do that at home and certainly would expect nothing less on vacation.

I'm generally indifferent between booking a cruise or booking a condo in a resort location. When I'm in a condo, I don't hire a maid for daily service. Sometimes we plan to clean before we leave. Sometimes the booking involves a cleaning service as part of the rental fee.

I appreciate that some people go on vacation so they don't have to cook or clean. I go on vacation to relax and (usually) enjoy a vacation-type destination (maybe a beach ... maybe a major international city ... maybe a place of historical significance ... maybe something else). For me, vacation means I'm not working. If I have to cook my own meals, that is just fine. I don't get to do that too much during the regular work week. So if I have to put my own dishes into the dishwasher, that really isn't a burden. I'm usually just very happy not to be working.

I really get nothing out of having someone straighten my bedspread, but I probably wouldn't opt out of the service unless the fee reduction on the cabin was significant.

Archived