Fun Ship Dollar Credit

h20lvr

Can someone please tell me why Carnival will not apply your “fun ship” dollars to your on board account when they receive them? I sent them in 3 weeks ago, just got off the phone with Customer Service, they confirmed that they have them, but they will be applied 2 weeks to 3 days before the sailing date. It does not make much sense to me, since they are paid for in full when you purchase them. The Cruise is paid for in full, they billed my credit card the $200 for the fun ship dollars over two months ago, so why should I not receive the credit upon receipt? Maybe, I should have told them that I want to purchase them, but I am not going to pay for them until 3 days before I sail!

Can someone please tell me why Carnival will not apply your “fun ship” dollars to your on board account when they receive them? I sent them in 3 weeks ago, just got off the phone with Customer Service, they confirmed that they have them, but they will be applied 2 weeks to 3 days before the sailing date. It does not make much sense to me, since they are paid for in full when you purchase them. The Cruise is paid for in full, they billed my credit card the $200 for the fun ship dollars over two months ago, so why should I not receive the credit upon receipt? Maybe, I should have told them that I want to purchase them, but I am not going to pay for them until 3 days before I sail!

We paid off our June cruise last year and have quite a bit OBC from funship dollars that I have been buying every pay period and we were told the same thing that we will not see the credit until 2 weeks before the cruise. I am not worried since we have never had a problem before doing the same thing but to be honest they always showed up on our documents long before the 2 weeks before the cruise. Glad I printed the confirmations so I can take just incase.

Perhaps next time you should just do it online so that it goes right into your account rather then getting the paper ones you need to had put on your account.

Can you please explain how this is done on line? Your post from Jan 27th, has the advice to buy funship dollars for OBC, complete with a link. And sorry I am not using them right now, but when I am getting ready to leave for the airport I do not want to be on hold with Customer Service trying to fiqure out where they are. That is why I sent them in early!!!

OP: As long as they get credited, that is what is important. Who knows why Carnival does anything that they do. They make up their own policies and make, change and enforce them as they see fit. Have a great cruise and don't sweat the small stuff.:D

The reason they don't apply them is probably a system / procedural issue.

Their accounting department most likely focuses on the upcoming cruises, and make sure customer accounts are up to date, all billing is done. Then they have future windows to work on cruises that are down the road.

This helps to optimize their accounting / customer service people and not have people working overtime because a future cruise billing issue is taking precedence over a current upcoming cruise.

Bottom line is, it's not ideal but who cares, as long as when you show up for the cruise and it's correct...

From what I was told the Funship Dept is a very small dept. So they apply the ones that are leaving soonest first each day and work their way outward. So they may get credited sooner if they have time but definitely will be processed before you leave in that 3 day - 2 week time frame.

Even when you buy them online and have them applied to your booking they sometimes don't show up until closer to sail time. It's just how they do it so no one sailing soon gets missed.

Just seems like it would be more work for accounting to track that they have received them and that they need to be credited in future. But, I agree with who knows why Carnival does things and that their policies change depending on who you are talking to. The cost effective way and less work for eveyone involved would be to just let passengers pay online direct to their account when you have a few extra $$.

Just seems like it would be more work for accounting to track that they have received them and that they need to be credited in future. But, I agree with who knows why Carnival does things and that their policies change depending on who you are talking to. The cost effective way and less work for eveyone involved would be to just let passengers pay online direct to their account when you have a few extra $$.

They probably have an "inbox" for each cruise, that they process a few weeks before the cruise.

Forgive my ignorance, but aren't funship dollars just a face-value coupon, usually meant for giving someone to be used as on-board credit?

Why would you buy these for yourself? A $25 Funship Dollar certificate costs $25 and spends like $25 - so what's the point?

We paid off our June cruise last year and have quite a bit OBC from funship dollars that I have been buying every pay period and we were told the same thing that we will not see the credit until 2 weeks before the cruise. I am not worried since we have never had a problem before doing the same thing but to be honest they always showed up on our documents long before the 2 weeks before the cruise. Glad I printed the confirmations so I can take just incase.

I am doing the same thing for my September cruise, I also printed out the confirmations just in case there is an issue when I sail, I have done this in the past and never had an issue with obc showing up.

I had a few extra $$ a couple of months ago and wanted to put it towards my OBC before I spent in something else :) After reading the CC board, the advice was to purchase fun ship dollars. I had no idea when I purchased them that they had to be sent in certified mail prior to your cruise to be used as OBC. I assumed that you just took them with you and they applied them once on the ship. Lesson learned!

I don't think CD interest on $200 for 90 days would buy a beer on the ship! :D If you do not have anything positive to add, why don't you get on line and check your CD accounts!!!

I don't think CD interest on $200 for 90 days would buy a beer on the ship! :D If you do not have anything positive to add, why don't you get on line and check your CD accounts!!!

I thought my post was rather positive. What's wrong with suggesting alternatives on what to do with the money? :)

And if it's only $200 of fun ship dollars (which seems insignificant as you suggest), why are you getting so bent out of shape about it not showing up on your account way in advance? :D

I had a few extra $$ a couple of months ago and wanted to put it towards my OBC before I spent in something else :) After reading the CC board, the advice was to purchase fun ship dollars. I had no idea when I purchased them that they had to be sent in certified mail prior to your cruise to be used as OBC. I assumed that you just took them with you and they applied them once on the ship. Lesson learned!

You do not have to mail them in, you can turn them in at the pursers desk when you board. I had some on a previous cruise and they took them and applied to my account on board.

I was not "bent". I just thought it did not make any sense that they did not credit them upon receipt. I doubt your financial alternatives. If you were successful in finance you would not be investing your money in CD's, which earn very little.

Followed the directions on the certificates and nowhere does it state that you can bring them on the cruise. It states that they must be sent in a least 15 days prior to sailing to be used as OBC.

Forgive my ignorance, but aren't funship dollars just a face-value coupon, usually meant for giving someone to be used as on-board credit?

Why would you buy these for yourself? A $25 Funship Dollar certificate costs $25 and spends like $25 - so what's the point?

Yes......and really no point.......

I don't have and of these, so I don't care one way or the other at the moment---but I'm curious. Can you just take those certificates and have them applied to your account when you board the ship?

Yes.......

You paid for certified mail:confused::eek:

I don't have and of these, so I don't care one way or the other at the moment---but I'm curious. Can you just take those certificates and have them applied to your account when you board the ship?

Just buy them online and have them applied as onboard credit. When you get your S&S card you will have a credit for the amount you apply. Great way to save money for your trip and it's waiting for you. Also, you can get cash on the ship. Do a search on this topic and you will find some great ideas.

Bad enough the Funship bucks are dollar for dollar....they had to go to the post office and spend more money!

Can someone say........financial advisor:D

On another note........I turned in my funship points I received on my credit card for $400 and it showed up on my docs the same day...........and that was month ago.......we don't sail until May.......

Can someone say........financial advisor:D

On another note........I turned in my funship points I received on my credit card for $400 and it showed up on my docs the same day...........and that was month ago.......we don't sail until May.......

LOL :D:D

The OP thinks he/she doesn't need any financial advice!! ;)

... I doubt your financial alternatives. If you were successful in finance you would not be investing your money in CD's, which earn very little.

LOL :D

Ever hear of laddering? ;)

I can't say if I'm successful in finance or not, other than I have no debt. And I don't pay to send my hard earned money to someone else via certified mail to lock up for a few months. :D

Archived