Oasis with very young kids--food choices?

javma

We will be crusing on the Oasis on 4/17 with our 3 kids, ages 6, 3 and 11 months. We can't wait! I am trying to plan what food to take for the youngest one; he will eat a wide variety of finger foods like pasta, steamed veggies like carrots and broccoli, corn, rice, cut up meatballs, etc.

I am wondering what is on the kids menus (has someone posted them and I missed it?) as well as what I can order for the youngest that may not be on the menu but is avaibale. Can I get steamed veggies, plain pasta etc. by special request in the MDR? Is there yogurt, cheerios, etc. available in the Windjammer? Can I find meatballs at Sorrentos or elsewhere? DOes the MDR care if I bring our own meal for the baby? We'll be bringing an assortment of our own foods for the baby, but the more I can get on the ship, the easier it will be.

I am also wondering what type of high chairs they have on board; are they the typical wooden restaurant ones, or do they have a tray? We may bring a booster seat with a tray for him as he does like to feed himself, but I don't want to lug it is there is no need. We often use a "table topper" in restaurants but that won't work with the MDR tablecloths.

My two older kids are both pretty adventurous eaters, but sometimes they just want mac and cheese, so seeing a kids menu would be great. I would love to hear from those of you who have cruised with young kids on the Oasis, and what kind of food you could get for the little ones. Thanks in advance for your input.

You can see the Babies2Go program if you go to the RC website and link to it under Deals and Gifts/Shop Gifts and Gear/Babies2Go.

The program allows you to buy Huggies diapers (sizes 2, 3 or 4), wipes, cream and organic Gerber food before you board. It is expensive, but probably worth it if you are coming directly from the airport, don't want to pack all that food in a suitcase (which you will undoubtedly pay to check!), and don't have time to stop at a store before you board.

Our baby wears a size 5 diaper, and only wants limited pureed baby foods at the moment, so the Babies2Go program isn't helpful for us! ;)

Hopefully someone can shed light on what we can get in the DR that is appropriate finger food for an 11 month old...

I haven't cruised on Oasis yet (going in November!!) but I have cruised twice with my son on the Explorer and Voyager when he was 14 months old and 3 years old. (He's 5 now!!!) I found plenty of menu items on the dinner menu that he would eat. He loved the chilled soups each night since they had a texture similar to applesauce. I was usually able to pick a couple of things that were being served off the menu and the waiter was more than happy to put them on a plate for me. For instance if I saw mashed potatoes on one entree and peas on another I would ask him for those items and he would bring them!! The windjammer had little boxes of cheerios and yogurt and I would usually stock up on several of them each morning and keep them in the room for my son to snack on. I would also disect the little sandwiches from the cafe promenade in the afternoon and let him eat the sandwich meat and cheese. There are plenty of options, and the waiters at dinner are more than accomodating!! From what I remember I believe the high chairs were the wooden ones, I'll look through my pics and see if I have any of them.

-Julie

Archived