How precise are the times on the itinerary?

felixdrylock

If you plan to arrive back at the port area by 5:00 that's only 30 minutes "cushion time" - not an hour. The time you need to know is "boarding" time not "departure" time. Boarding time is generally half an hour before departure. It will be posted in the ships newspaper, as well as at the gangway.

This is the best advice! Always know what time it is on the ship and go by their time, not the time of the port you're in, and always know what the "BOARDING TIME" is, not the "departure time".:D

Thanks for the info. How often do you think ships are LATE to dock at a new port in the morning? very rarely? I want to make sure if it says "arrival: 8 a.m.", I will be able to physically by off the ship by like, say, 8:15.

If a ship arrives at 8 am, it's for sure you - personally - will NOT be off the ship at 8:15! The ship first has to clear local Customs before anyone is allowed off, and the passengers who are allowed off first are those who have booked ship's shore excursions. If it is a tender port, you must report to a designated ship's area to get a numbered ticket to board a tender. First come, first served. I'd allow a 1 1/2 - 2 hour window from the time a ship actually docks before you can get off. If you're a new cruiser, I wouldn't rely on local transportation to get you back on time. If the ship leaves at 5 pm, final boarding is at 4:30 pm. Plan to be back on board no later than 4 pm - especially if you're a new cruiser who hasn't been to these ports of call. There's also ship time vs local time. And - there are a couple thousand passengers besides yourself who want to get off the ship, so expect long lines, as there are only 2-3 gangplanks that are lowered. You're not in the US, and things are very different.

Archived