Westminster hotel to gatwick airport

A couple of questions for you folks familiar with the trains.

1) What stations have NO changes close to Westminster?

2) I know about the express but is is feasable to take the southern or something else with luggage?

3) Is it really necessary to arrive at Gatwick airport 4 hours prior to my flight back to the USA ?

Any other info is appreciated

A couple of questions for you folks familiar with the trains.

1) What stations have NO changes close to Westminster?

2) I know about the express but is is feasable to take the southern or something else with luggage?

3) Is it really necessary to arrive at Gatwick airport 4 hours prior to my flight back to the USA ?

Any other info is appreciated

Hi

You can get the underground from either Piccadilly Circus or Green Park (a short taxi from Westminster). That will take you direct to Heathrow with no changes on the Piccadilly Line. Slower than the Heathrow Express, but personally I still take the tube instead if it means no changes and I'm not in an terrible rush.

Arriving 3 hours in advance should be more than enough. I am flying to California in 5 days and they have recommended checking in 2 hours in advance.

Hope that helps.

Beverley x

Hi

You can get the underground from either Piccadilly Circus or Green Park (a short taxi from Westminster). That will take you direct to Heathrow with no changes on the Piccadilly Line. Slower than the Heathrow Express, but personally I still take the tube instead if it means no changes and I'm not in an terrible rush.

Arriving 3 hours in advance should be more than enough. I am flying to California in 5 days and they have recommended checking in 2 hours in advance.

Hope that helps.

Beverley x

Thanks but we are going to Gatwick not Heathrow

Whoops... my mistake.

To be honest, to get to Gatwick your only option is the Gatwick Express really.

Anything else is going to take you in that direction but will then need a taxi to the airport.

Kind regards.

Beverley x

Whoops... my mistake.

To be honest, to get to Gatwick your only option is the Gatwick Express really.

Anything else is going to take you in that direction but will then need a taxi to the airport.

Kind regards.

Beverley x

Thanks I thing that is at Victoria station? How far is it from Westminster to the Victoria station?

Thanks

Where is the tube at westminster? What are the hours of operation? Is it feasable at 5AM with cruise luggage?

Thanks

The tube is right next to the Houses of Parliament/Big Ben.

The first tubes start just a little before 5am (some after).

It is such a short distance, and so early in the morning... I think you'd be better off getting a taxi.

Beverley x

The tube is right next to the Houses of Parliament/Big Ben.

The first tubes start just a little before 5am (some after).

It is such a short distance, and so early in the morning... I think you'd be better off getting a taxi.

Beverley x

Yeah I agree but was wondering how it will be getting a taxi at my hotel in Westminster at 4:30AM. My flight leaves Gatwick at 9AM

Yeah I agree but was wondering how it will be getting a taxi at my hotel in Westminster at 4:30AM. My flight leaves Gatwick at 9AM

There will be plenty of taxis around. You won't have any problem at all in the Westminster area. Honestly:D

To be honest I wouldn't concern yourself with other train companies unless you are looking for maximum value over convenience. The Gatwick express from Victoria to Gatwick airport (South terminal) is direct, fast and efficient. There is nearly always one train in the station at Victoria so you can board straight away. You can buy your ticket onboard as well if you want to. The journey takes 35 minutes or so.

Victoria station is a quick taxi ride or tube journey from Westminister, and the taxi will certainly be more convenient with luggage. The tube is do-able if you are happy taking your luggage up and down escalators, and if necessary steps.

No I don't suppose it is necessary to arrive at Gatwick 4 hour before your flight, however a few points you should bear in mind:

The train station is located at the South terminal which is the terminal that Trans-Atlantic airlines such as Virgin, Continental and US air operate from. If however you need to transfer to the North terminal which is where British Airways and Delta fly from, you would need to transfer. There is an automated transit train that shuttles between the terminals every few minutes. However it is currently being upgraded and is out of action until September. There is a shuttle bus service which takes a little longer and invoves taking your own luggage on board. You should allow a little extra time for this (perhaps 20 minutes.)

I would sensibly plan on arriving at the airport at least 2.5 hours ahead of your flight departure time, and perhaps another 30 minutes or so if departure is scheduled at a weekend or during the morning or evening rush hours ( say 7-10am and 5-7pm.) A sensible time to leave your hotel would be about Departure time minus 4 to 4.5 hours.

Archived