Cave tubing belize

vinman13

you def need water shoes or old sneaks, flip flops will NOT cut it. you can rent them there, and its inexpensive. it was i think $3 when i did it but that was a few yrs ago.

oh, and i just want to mention that the ones you rent are old, uncomfortable and gross... im sure they sanitize em but still it creeped me out. id recommend buying some cheapies from walmart or something and bring your own! this next cruise i am bringing my own for sure, and i dont even know if ill need em for anything.

I bought some cheap water shoes at WalMart for $6.00. Not the prettiest shoes, but they will do the job and I probably will never wear them again. Except for that next cruise. ;)

I own some really nice water sandals...if you do a lot of cruises they will pay for themselves in no time. Mine were 130.00 but well worth every penny. If you want some throw aways...like a poster above said...6 bucks at wal mart. they take up almost no room at all in your luggage

No they won't let you wear flip flops. They rent old drug store quality ones if you don't have any.

We wore watershoes, but if I had to do it again (which I never would) I would opt for old sneakers that I would leave behind.

The reason being ours were beyond filthy when we were done. Smoothered in gross mud. I had borrowed a pair from my mom since there were four of us and I spent a lot of time cleaning them in the cabin's shower and basically trashed the bathroom. Then had to return them stained to my mom. It was a clear day when we were in Belize, but it had rained for several days prior to our excursion and made for slippery mud.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1098358 *Our family cave tubing experience (bottom of pg 2 & 3)

CMM, I just read your cave tubing post, and like you, we were not impressed with cavetubing dot com at all. We just used them last week, and I am in total agreement with you, I would not do it again.

When we were in Miami, the CVS in downtown Miami had water shoes--didn't notice the price or available sizes. They rent water shoes for $3 at the cave tubing place but I imagine they can be pretty gross. I would make every effort to bring some from home and avoid renting them.

just as an additional thought - when we were leaving the cave tubing (not sure what operation we had) but they offered to buy our water shoes (we had bought them at walmart for like $5 each) - I think they had offered us $5 a pair as well - they just 'rented' them out and that way if someone left, they weren't out a ton of money.

It worked pretty well from our end - not sure if they do this still or not.

Yup I have heard a lot of people saying they offered to buy their watershoes at Jaguar Paw. You pay 6 bucks for them at wal mart and sell them back to Jaguar Paw for 5 bucks. So you had a fresh pair for 1.00 :D

I wouldnt use any of those rental shoes....those things looked nasty!

I like to do a lot of water activities so I invested in a nice pair of water shoes....they werent cheap but they work really well on slippery rocks and in the mud.

They didn't offer to buy ours it was a chaotic mob seen there that day, but maybe randomly they asked people.

After a short bus ride you stop at the cave tubing dot com's own site where you are suppose to clean up(and spend $ on refreshments). Fortunately I had a plastic bag along to throw them into, but hind site I should have just left them behind altogether as it was a muddy mess.

Hmmm......a couple of years ago when we went, I researched a LOT on cruise critic. I read about people wearing old sneakers, and donating them when you're

yoiu're done, because they can use them. Fine with me - actually they weren't that bad, but had new ones anyway. So, just bring anything old and leave them there. Axctually, we went in the month of October and there wasn't any mud at all. The river was sparkling clean and "pebbley".

I want to wear water shoes, but I am afraid that my feet may hurt during the hike. They are not sturdy shoes. My husband thinks we should bring old gyms and just leave them there. Opinions?

it's called a hike but its a simple walk. there are slight hills and some stairs but it's nothing crazy. i DESPISE watershoes, but i was fine during the walk. you can see many pictures of the trail in hamlettm's review.

my feet actually hurt from the shoes During the cavetubing. when you are hooked together and the guide is in the back, if he pulls back on the tubes in order for the group not to run into rocks/bushes your heels pull on the tube.

the whole fact that they may buy your crappy water shoes at the end of the tubing is a plus for watershoes too.

I want to wear water shoes, but I am afraid that my feet may hurt during the hike. They are not sturdy shoes. My husband thinks we should bring old gyms and just leave them there. Opinions?

My husband and daughter complained big time that their feet were killing them wearing simple water shoes. I on the other hand didnt mind at allnor my son ( I think its down to how thick your own soles are)..Its a small stones/rocks path till you hit the jungle

Since cave tubing dot com routed us to a different cave system when the typical one was closed for safety reasons, we experienced a steep, slippery, dark decent to the cave area. My husband said his water shoes were bad (slippery) and couldn't believe anyone wasn't seriously injured that day. My and my daughters shoes had deep traction and were more like sneaker water shoes and were not as bad. My son wore his sandles which worked really good. They were the type with the heavy treads and velcro/nylon straps.

If you have the flimsy watershoes with a poor fit and you think they would give you blisters walking for a half hour in them (wet), shoes would be better. I had planned on wearing the water shoes in the other ports too.

I wished we had had something we could pitch on our day(but wished more that we had not taken the excursion altogether)

I'd swear diffferent people get different tours from different points cause where we went in it was a small tiny slope, and when we got out, it was a simple 5 minute walk back to the parking lot. I wanted to go in at the area where you could jump 15 feet into the water or take the ladder /rope down a steep hill, but since our tender was so late we went in at another point..it was still a decent float though

Buy some Teva's and call it a day!

Asolutely, buy the Teva's .. they are always good for water anything!

the mud or dirt will wash right off.

Do not try to cave tube in flip flops, disaster.

We have done the cave tubing a couple of times, LOVED IT~!

1st time was with "xtreme" excursions. overpriced, and bedlam, we were everywhere on the river, it was just a riot.

2nd time was with cave tubing dot com and a DREAM. transportation was good, and the best was the "hook and float" approach they take. you actually make a chain with your feet connected to the floater behind you. The guides from cave tubing dot com pulled us through the caves, all the right spots and "bottoms up" when needed! Much nicer approach.

they also do a neat ATV tour. we did that on our 4th trip to Belize.

Yhony and his team will take great care with you.

If you ATV, you will be MUDDY ... I took an old back pack for that trip and threw it away after returning to the ship. I took older dlothes as well, just incase the mud didn't wash out (it mostly did). Belize mud is more forgiving that Georgia Red Dirt.

Have fun either way!

• 2 weeks later...

Archived