Children are cruising for the first time

Jo and Rob

Oliver is 8 and Emily is 5 (6 in August). We are sailing on a three night cruise on the Independence which will have no sea days as we will always be in port during the day.

I don't know much at all as I have only cruised once before on Princess (without the children) so I would like as many hints and tips as possible!

All advice is much appreciated including what your children thought of the clubs, how often they wanted to go, what was their favourite activity? Is there anything that you didn't like about the kids clubs?

They are going to have fun!! :)

Here is my best advice on what you need to pack for this age group. I'm not going to cover clothes! LOL!

1. Make sure you take some children's tylenol and cold medicine. You never know when you are going to need it. Neosporin and either hydrocortisone or benadryl cream have come in handy on cruises in the past. (Bug bites or scratches!) Oh and don't forget the bandaids!

2. Sunscreen!

3. Snacks. I know it sounds silly to pack snacks when you are on a ship but during the excursions to the islands it's handy to have something they like. I'm not talking bring the entire box. Just bring a few packages of their favorite snacks. You aren't going to be gone long so a few is plenty.

As for the kids center DD (9) loves to go. Since she has been 4 all she wants to do is go to the kids center when she is on the ship. She'd rather be there than at the pool. :) There hasn't been a particular activity she loves she just wants to play with the kids.

They are going to have fun!! :)

Here is my best advice on what you need to pack for this age group. I'm not going to cover clothes! LOL!

1. Make sure you take some children's tylenol and cold medicine. You never know when you are going to need it. Neosporin and either hydrocortisone or benadryl cream have come in handy on cruises in the past. (Bug bites or scratches!) Oh and don't forget the bandaids!

2. Sunscreen!

3. Snacks. I know it sounds silly to pack snacks when you are on a ship but during the excursions to the islands it's handy to have something they like. I'm not talking bring the entire box. Just bring a few packages of their favorite snacks. You aren't going to be gone long so a few is plenty.

As for the kids center DD (9) loves to go. Since she has been 4 all she wants to do is go to the kids center when she is on the ship. She'd rather be there than at the pool. :) There hasn't been a particular activity she loves she just wants to play with the kids.

What time does she go and come out?

What time does she go and come out?

It depends upon the cruise line and ship. Independence is RCCI which generally starts early am and has breaks for lunch and dinner, and has an evening program that ends at 10:00pm with optional (for a fee) "baby sitting" until 1:00 or 2:00. RCCI runs their programs on port days (not all lines do) and if you and DH are out on a long excursion and the kids stay on-board they can do lunch with the kids program as well.

When they come and go is pretty much governed by you.

I would suggest attending the registration "party" that Adventure Ocean puts on at the beginning of the cruise. Register the kids and encourage them to attend the program the first evening. Meeting some kids the first night or day is key to most kids enjoying the program.

Your kids will get a schedule of the next day's activity each evening and they can decide when they want to attend.

A three day cruise is a great introduction to cruising. Have a great time.

It depends upon the cruise line and ship. Independence is RCCI which generally starts early am and has breaks for lunch and dinner, and has an evening program that ends at 10:00pm with optional (for a fee) "baby sitting" until 1:00 or 2:00. RCCI runs their programs on port days (not all lines do) and if you and DH are out on a long excursion and the kids stay on-board they can do lunch with the kids program as well.

When they come and go is pretty much governed by you.

I would suggest attending the registration "party" that Adventure Ocean puts on at the beginning of the cruise. Register the kids and encourage them to attend the program the first evening. Meeting some kids the first night or day is key to most kids enjoying the program.

Your kids will get a schedule of the next day's activity each evening and they can decide when they want to attend.

A three day cruise is a great introduction to cruising. Have a great time.

Poor Rob can't come. What do you suggest I get up to while the children are in kids club?

Where is the Adventure Ocean located on the Independence?

Deck 12, rear.

With the other meds Roadtrip listed, I'd also include some sort of anti-nausea in case of sea sickness, some ginger candies (for minor seasick) and some doctor or pharmacist recommended meds if the nausea is stronger. I'm not sure what meds are sold in the UK, in the US the more popular brands are Dramamine, Bonine and in Canada, Gravol.

I thought this was a joke but I have just read it on another thread! You were joking weren't you?

No, you absolutely need the signed notorized letter from the father giving you permission to take the kids out of the country. There have been too many issues of one parent taking a child out of the US, and not returning, so that's why they have this rule.

No, you absolutely need the signed notorized letter from the father giving you permission to take the kids out of the country. There have been too many issues of one parent taking a child out of the US, and not returning, so that's why they have this rule.

This must be a US thing. I've never heard of it in the UK and we are sailing from Southampton so I can't imagine I'd need anything. What if I was a single parent or widow? What then?

I thought this was a joke but I have just read it on another thread! You were joking weren't you?

No, you absolutely must have this. They probably won't ask you for it, but if they do you will not be able to board (and no refund!) It's a precaution against one parent (or other relative) kidnapping the child to another country. Quite honestly I wish they'd ask for this every single time. It's a Good Thing. We took our niece, with a different last name, on a cruise in 08 and they didn't ask for the letter.

If you don't know a notory or have one at work, call your local bank. Our Wachovia will do notarize for free, even for non customers.

This must be a US thing. I've never heard of it in the UK and we are sailing from Southampton so I can't imagine I'd need anything. What if I was a single parent or widow? What then?

If you were a single parent you have to get permission from the other parent (or a court order.) A widow(er) would have the death certificate to prove they are the only living parent.

But yes, it may not be a thing on that side of the pond.

Here is the U.S. we can't even get the child a passport w/o both parents present or a standardized notarized permission form from the 2nd parent. Again, a safeguard against one parent taking the child out of the country to some place that will ignore U.S. custody orders.

I'm a widow and was questioned when entering the UK when we did a holiday in London. I always carry the death certificate with me. I've also been questioned when returning to the US from a cruise. As the previous poster said, this is a good thing so that non-custodial parents can't take children out of the country.

Best,

Mia

Deck 12, rear.

With the other meds Roadtrip listed, I'd also include some sort of anti-nausea in case of sea sickness, some ginger candies (for minor seasick) and some doctor or pharmacist recommended meds if the nausea is stronger. I'm not sure what meds are sold in the UK, in the US the more popular brands are Dramamine, Bonine and in Canada, Gravol.

Just remember that you can't give kids regular Bonine. You have to get the children's version Bonine Jr. :)

In regards to the note I would honestly get a notarized note just in case. I wouldn't want to take the chance of not being able to board the ship.

In the US, for international flights and/or cruises or other cross the boarder travels with a minor you may be required to produce documentation from the absent parent that you may travel with the minor in question. Typically it will need to be dated with information about when the trip is to begin, when it will end and where you'll be going.

If you are a single parent with sole custody, you need to bring proof of that (custody papers, birth certificate with no other parent listed, etc.) If the other parent is dead, you'll need to bring in a copy of the death certificate.

We were behind a dad and DD in line at an airport in the Midwest -- the dad had to have his laywer's assistant bring down a copy of his wife's death certificate in order for them to catch their flight to Amsterdam from the US. (they made the flight, the airline's employee handled the situation very well, but was firm that he had to have the proof).

The cruise lines and the border guards may not always ask for it, but they do have the "right" to do so. I have a co-worker who had been denied border crossing (car) with her son last January (had the passport, but no permission from the missing dad).

As far as UK airports go you won't have a problem as long as the children have the same name as you. I have no experience with cruise lines, but found the following:

If you have Parental Responsibility and there are no restricting orders in force then you have equal legal status with the other parent and can in theory take your child anywhere you like on holiday.

Under the Child Abduction Act 1984, however, it is an offence for any person to take a child out of the UK without "appropriate consent". The prior agreement of the other parent is always desirable.

If you have a Residence Order in your favour you can take the child out of the UK for up to one month without seeking consent from anyone (though anyone else can apply for a Prohibited Steps Order to stop you if they know of your intentions).

If there is a Residence Order in favour of another person then you cannot remove the child from the UK unless you have written consent from every other person who has PR or have obtained leave of the court (e.g. by Specific Issues Order).

Where both parents have PR and there are no restricting orders in force then each is expected to obtain consent from the other parent before taking the child out of the UK or face possible prosecution for abduction and/or an application under the Hague Convention (see below) for the child's return to the jurisdiction.

Archived