Best Place to Snorkle

BoneYardDog

This is our first cruise and we want to snorkle...

We are going to Cozumel, Costa Maya and Georgetown...

We want to book tours but do not know which port is the best for snorkling...

Can anyone share their snorkling experiences in any of these ports...

Thanks in advance...

I was at Cozumul and Costa Maya last week. Snorkeling is best at Cozumel and you don't have to book a tour. Just take a cab to Chankanab Park and snorkle off the beach. Outstanding snorkling rated one of the best in the world. Bring your own gear or you can rent at the park. I also went into the town of Majahual at Costa Maya and booked a snorkling tour for $15. It was $20 in the morning. Snorkeling was Fairly good, at both places the water was very clear, can see down 250 feet. Majaual was by far, one of the best cities that we have visited in Mexico. Really Old Mexico. Have fun on your first cruise. If you book through the cruise line expect to pay more.

This is our first cruise and we want to snorkle...

We are going to Cozumel, Costa Maya and Georgetown...

We want to book tours but do not know which port is the best for snorkling...

Can anyone share their snorkling experiences in any of these ports...

Thanks in advance...

Boneyarddog, All three of the ports you are visiting have great snorkeling @ Georgetown in Grand Caymen The swim/wade with the stingrays is awsome

It is one of the best excursions in the Caribbean IMHO :) Last year

we went with Nativeway and it was just terrific last years cost was $25

and that included the stingray sandbar and two snorkel stops we tipped heavy $10pp plus $5 for both to the bus driver who takes you from the the tender pier to the marina, but it was a great tour and it was so much cheaper than the ships tour. This year the price is up to $30 and I'm not sure if its one or two snorkel stops as last year we went with a cc group so we more or less chartered the boat. I am also going again in April 2005 and

again I have booked this tour with Nativeway I have no connection to them other than being a very satisfied customer. I have also read great things about Capt Marvin, Soto's, and Capt Bryans who also do the stingray sandbar.

Their is also good snorkeling although I haven't done it myself fairly close to the tender pier @ Eden Rock and Devils Grotto abanks dive center their ad says "2 minute walk from the George Town Passenger Pier visiting this beautiful site has never been easier. Abanks is fully equipped for your outing, with snorkeling equipment rental, dive equipment rental, life vests, cameras, lockers, even beach chairs." I believe they also sell food and drinks their

google abanks in GC I'm sure you find their web site.

In Cozumel There is also great snorkeling either from a boat excursion or

a few other option are to

just take a taxi to Chankannab Park there is a entrance fee for the park I think its $12 pp

also There's good snorkeling from Plaza las Glorias on the southern edge of downtown all the way to Playa Corona beach club last year we went to

Dzul ha beach club really no beach as it is along the iron shore which you

really must have for good snorkeling from shore but they had steps into the water from their patio they don't charge to use the facilities as long as

you buy drinks and or food we just got drinks but the group two tables away ordered food and let me say it look and smelt terrific wished I was hungry

There was only about 15 people there when we were. They had bathrooms across the street but a little caution they were clean but also one of the toilets had a resident iguana in the bowl but as soon as I lifted up the seat lid

he made an exit out the pipe he came in through :) It did scare the b gbies out of me but didn't stop me from using the bowl next to that one. I'm a girl

but I did keep an eye out for him LOL :) In Cozumel taxi's are plentiful just make sure to agree to a price before you get in and they are not per person but per car they have a price list that they have to abide by so ask to see it if you have anydoubts I think its around $10 to Chankannab depending on which dock your at in Cozumel they have three cruise ship docks and one

dock for the ferry's if you do a google for cozumelmycozumel there is loads of info and a discussion board. A great source of info.

onto Costa Maya I have never been here but have done alot of searching and reading We booked an excursion just today with costamayacruiseexcursions.

to do their snorkel boat excursion I know we could have done it cheaper by just going into Mahahual our cost was $25 which could be done in the village with another operator or maybe even the same one for either $20 or $15 depending on the hour you wanted to go but I really liked the look of their Pontoon boat. and I wanted the first 8am trip and if for some reason you ship does not make it into port they do not charge you. there was a deposit of 20% which for two was $10

I did a live chat with them and they will answer all your question. Mahahual

spelled many different ways or should I say at least 3 different ways that I know of but its all the same place is old world mexican just now starting

to get into the tourist biz The town/fishermans village has a lovely looking beach! With many beach side bar/huts If you Search here on CC you will find alot of information and people who have pictures of both the cruiseship dock and the town. It's $3pp for the ride into town and $2pp to return to the ships pier. I have read that snorkeling was decent about 50 yards into the water from the beach in town but the snorkeling was better if you take the boat snorkel I read that it goes south about 2 miles I'm sure someone who has been there might know more on the Costa Maya/Mahuhaul port then me.

Well I hope this helps and Have a great time no matter what you choose to do!

• 2 months later...

If you've ever done much snorkeling before, you will be disappointed in most of Cozumel from shore. The coral at Chankaanab is dead! Just lots of fish AND lots of people! Dzul Ha or a Place called Playa Corona (just a bar there--some taxi drivers don't even know where it is but it's on the way to Dzul Ha and Chankaanab) are better. At least there is live reef there, but it is a bit of a swim out--about 100 yards. The current can sometimes be a little strong at Dzul Ha, and don't let the resident big barracuda scare the wits out of you. He's harmless. At both places, enter the water toward the left and swim out to the reef and head right to follow the reef. The ultimate would be to take a boat snorkel out to Palancar Reef. It's the second largest in the world and breathtaking! IMHO

Cayman has the better snorkeling of the 3 locations you mentioned. The reefs there are gorgeous and pristine. They have laws protecting them. And Sting Ray City is a "don't miss."

We have snorkeled for 16 years now all over the Caribbean, so we're not first-timers.

• 10 months later...

2 years ago we snorkeled in cozumel and it was great go into town and there r many vendors who offer snorkeling by boat for a fraction of what carnival wanted the guides r great and the 1 we whent on the captian had a whole bag of fish food (totillas and cooked chicken breast)when the food comes out the fish r everywere they eat rite out of your hand its really cool and a great kodak moment. i am of like opinion regarding the caymens try the stingray city tour dont pay extra to do the sting ray /snorkel there is nothing to see besides the sting rays just alot of sand the sting ray city tour has masksand snorkels free of charge i did alot of cannonballing of the top of the dive boat i got board with the stingrays after about 20 mins.any ways have a great time and if u have any more questions just ask .........................

We loved Stingray City. We've done it twice, and if we go back to Grand Cayman, we'll do it again.

I agree with the previous poster about Chanakub (sp?) Park in Cozumel. We were disappointed. We went to the park on our own during the day, and we did the nighttime snorkel, which was in the same place, off the cruise ship. We didn't particularly enjoy either. If you do want to do this park, go on your own. It's only about 5 minutes from the pier, and costs a fraction of what the ship charges you. My suggestion would be to take a boat to the reef in Cozumel. When are you going? A lot of ships have changed their route and are no longer going to Cozumel because of the hurricane damage last year. We're on the Liberty 3/18/06. We were originally scheduled for Cozumel, but our port stop was changed to Costa Maya.

Archived