Upgrades on the Gem

DCParky

I have booked and AE Suite on the Gem this summer for the Greece/Turkey cruise... What do you think is the chance of an upgrade on the cruise, or should I just be happy with my suite?? I'd love your thoughts....

We were booked in an AC on the Gem last November for a Western Med cruise. While we were happy with that suite, I kept watching the prices for our cruise as the months went by. Well, the prices dropped and I called NCL and was able to get a FREE upgrade to an AA Owners Suite!

So I would say an AE is a wonderful suite (we had one on the Star to Alaska), but it doesn't hurt to keep checking:p

NCL doesn't usually do real upgrades, they do upsells where they offer a higher cabin at a reduced cost but usually you still have to pay. These are offered no sooner than 3 weeks prior to sailing, up until a couple of days before, but there doesn;t seem to be any rhyme or reason as to who will get the calls. Some posters have said you can call the upsell dept (not regular reservations) once that 3 week window has passed, others have said you have to wait for a call. However, I agree with the above poster, watch the prices. We originally were booked in an AE for our May 1st Gem cruise --- after final payment, the prices came down. We upsold ourselves to an A3 for a very good price , we weren't willing to take a chance that the upsell fairy would call us!

I have booked and AE Suite on the Gem this summer for the Greece/Turkey cruise... What do you think is the chance of an upgrade on the cruise, or should I just be happy with my suite?? I'd love your thoughts....

Funny, we are from washington, dc and are booked in an AE suite as well for teh June 19 Greece / Turkey cruise.

Have the prices on your cruise gone down? I'm doing the Greek Isles cruise in May and the prices are much higher than what I paid! For what I paid for a BA aft, right now I could not get an inside cabin without paying additional. Best argument for booking ahead ever!

What is the trend for your cruises? I'm just curious - maybe I picked a very popular week? Although it is far from sold out.

We booked an AD for our 2011 cruise on the Gem...but were told by our PCC that an upsell was likely. He told us to print out the fares of the various higher category suites so we could refer to it and if the call came to be prepared to make the decision immediately.

I'm not expecting it....and am really happy with the suite we chose.

This will be our first cruise....and I feel that if I gave up the AD I'd always wonder if it was the right thing to do. We'll probably just stay put.

Have a wonderful time!

We had a AE on the Gem booked and one week before we received a call and an upsell offer for the Deluxe Owners Suite which we took. There are lots of different threads about who is more likely to get the upsell offer (what category), but no one really knows what motivates the upsell fairy. Just look at the deck plans and cabins, in case you get the upsell call make sure you like their offer.

Archived