Diamond Princess Alaska Questions

mike10546

As first time cruisers we have chosen a mini-suite for the Alaska 11 night land/sea trip aboard the Diamond Princess. We were assigned an aft mini-suite (E721) and have a few questions. Having read thru these forums, I am incredibly impressed with your knowledge and experiences and hope to benefit from you by getting answers to several questions.

1. We are on Emerald Deck 8 which is the lowest deck with rooms. Will being at the lowest level hinder our ability to enjoy the views from our balcony?

2. All the life boats are on our level and we are 4 mini-suites back from the last life boat. Will the lifeboats obstruct our views?

3. Will my balcony be open or covered?

4. We will cruise from Anchorage to Vancouver and will be on the opposite side of the ship from the coastline. Will we miss the glaciers and other shore viewing opportunities from our balcony?

5. If you had our room and were offered an upgrade to mid-ship or a higher deck, would you take it or not?

Sorry if these questions seem elementary, but as first timers we don't quite know what to expect and very much welcome your help.

As first time cruisers we have chosen a mini-suite for the Alaska 11 night land/sea trip aboard the Diamond Princess. We were assigned an aft mini-suite (E721) and have a few questions. Having read thru these forums, I am incredibly impressed with your knowledge and experiences and hope to benefit from you by getting answers to several questions.

1. We are on Emerald Deck 8 which is the lowest deck with rooms. Will being at the lowest level hinder our ability to enjoy the views from our balcony?

2. All the life boats are on our level and we are 4 mini-suites back from the last life boat. Will the lifeboats obstruct our views?

3. Will my balcony be open or covered?

4. We will cruise from Anchorage to Vancouver and will be on the opposite side of the ship from the coastline. Will we miss the glaciers and other shore viewing opportunities from our balcony?

5. If you had our room and were offered an upgrade to mid-ship or a higher deck, would you take it or not?

Sorry if these questions seem elementary, but as first timers we don't quite know what to expect and very much welcome your help.

We are booked on the Diamond next year for an Alaskan cruise. We also are in a mini suite but on Dolphin deck. Originally we were in an aft cabin, starboard side. After many questions on this board we changed it to port side. We couldn't get the aft but more forward of midships. We are prepared to chance the weather and take this cabin as the views in Alaska (from what everyone tells us) is on the port side.

Even with the lifeboats you'll be able to see. At the Glaciers the boat will do a complete u-turn, so no problems there. I would definately take an upgrade if offered. The Diamond is a great boat. Just did a 16 day Asia in November. You'll love it.:)

I was on Diamond Princess Last year Whittier to Vancouver in a aft balcony on caribe 755. Trust me that from Emerald on up you are still high from the water and seeing won't be a problem. Heading South port side is preferable but truely over rated hype. When going into college fiord and glacier bay you will view the area from both sides of the ship entering and leaving. You will also most likely be on deck when the ship is stopped for glacier calving. The scenery will be both port and starboard as you head towards Vancouver. The Diamond Princess is a excellent ship and the staff and Park Rangers do an excellent job. The only problem you will have is sleeping because there is so much to see!!

The only problem you will have is sleeping because there is so much to see!!

That and the 20 hours of daylight per day... Even with the heavy curtains I'm still up at 4am the few times that we've cruised Alaska.

Originally Posted by xeroxme viewpost.gif

That and the 20 hours of daylight per day... Even with the heavy curtains I'm still up at 4am the few times that we've cruised Alaska.

How true!! I was never as tired on any vacation as I was to Alaska. There is so much to see I didn't want to or with all the daylight you didn't sleep!! I was happy when I got to Vancouver, finally sleep!!!

Originally Posted by xeroxme viewpost.gif

How true!! I was never as tired on any vacation as I was to Alaska. There is so much to see I didn't want to or with all the daylight you didn't sleep!! I was happy when I got to Vancouver, finally sleep!!!

Hopefully, we won't have that problem with an inside cabin.

Archived