How much money for cruise clothes is enough?

WeirdEyes

How much money for cruise clothes is enough?  

194 members have voted

1. 1. How much money for cruise clothes is enough?

• Under $200
    • $200-$400
    • $500-$700
    • $800-$1,000
    • Over $1,000
    • None of your business ;)

momofmeg,

I'm going to have to kindly disagree on Old Navy being cheep. It all depends on what you buy there. Denim is denim. All my sons jeans, my denim jackets and denim skirts come from the Navy and they have lasted forever. Their sweatpants and shirts are great, rubber thongs and cotton tees and tanks also are great.

I think when you move into the synthetic teen type garments and the pseudo dressy clothes they are definitely cheep and poorly made.

I am wearing a cotton Old Navy cargo skirt from last summer as I type this and after many washings it still looks great!

Just one girls opinion.:D

A

I've noticed the same thing. My jeans from Old Navy last forever and hold up really well in the wash. I've never gotten their flip-flops b/c I usually get them from Wal-mart but may get some there this summer because I've heard so many good things about them. The only complaint I have ever had is that this wool sweater I got there once shrunk after one wash, but that had more to do with the material than the quality imho. I definitely don't think Old Navy is "cheep".

I buy a good bit of my son's clothes at Old Navy because they are the only clothes he likes. I would buy him designer, but he won't wear them. Anyway, his Old Navy jeans and pants have lasted a long time....at least two seasons. The only reason I have to buy new is because he has grown in height. I also really think it depends on what you buy there.

Thanks everyone for your comments and great buy ideas! I just started my cruise shopping this past weekend. I've only bought shoes so far. ;)

I buy a good bit of my son's clothes at Old Navy because they are the only clothes he likes. I would buy him designer, but he won't wear them. Anyway, his Old Navy jeans and pants have lasted a long time....at least two seasons. The only reason I have to buy new is because he has grown in height. I also really think it depends on what you buy there.

Thanks everyone for your comments and great buy ideas! I just started my cruise shopping this past weekend. I've only bought shoes so far. ;)

I was actually referring to women's tee shirts. I like nice ones but Old Navy's seem to be warped all out of shape with the first wash. I have bought ones there 2 or 3 times and they end up being cleaning rags for me. I finially got smart though and quit buying them there. I know Old Navy carries brand name jeans and whether you buy Levis there, at Sears or the Gap or where ever-Levis are Levis to me. I just want better quality tee-shirts that keep their shape after being washed.

I was actually referring to women's tee shirts. I like nice ones but Old Navy's seem to be warped all out of shape with the first wash. I have bought ones there 2 or 3 times and they end up being cleaning rags for me. I finially got smart though and quit buying them there. I know Old Navy carries brand name jeans and whether you buy Levis there, at Sears or the Gap or where ever-Levis are Levis to me. I just want better quality tee-shirts that keep their shape after being washed.

I can honestly say that I don't recall buying any t-shirts there so I wouldn't know about them. I did buy a button down shirt there once about five years ago and it's held up very well, especially since I don't wear it often.

Just wanted to throw my 2 cents in. Its not always about income level that makes a person choose to shop thrift stores or be a bargain shopper. There is the love a getting a great price on an item. Me personally I don't like thrift shops for clothing but have picked up great housewares. Like Jane I live in NYC and for us bargain shopping is buying staples at the end of the season, going to discount stores, consignment stores and I love sample sales.:D . With the airfare discounts it is often cheaper to fly to Europe than Fl. (if you go on a cruise then Europe is not a dream as you can find great packages or travel off season)

And I am a proud bargain hunter! For work I do a lot of client entertaining and have to wear suits and formal attire quite often so I am always on the lookout for well made clothing that I may pay more initially but will keep for years. I don't buy at old navy because I won't have it past the initial season and it doesn't hang right on me.

I get your point and you are right-I love to buy things for my home in thrift shops too. Heck I just did a mosaic form old plates I had bought in a thrift shop- but a person talking about bargains, going to a consigment shops in PARIS and buying a belt as a "bargain" for $100 does not fit like 75 % of the people that post here on this thread. Read these posts. People are bragging about getting formal gowns for $20 and then Jane brags about geting a belt for $100 in Paris from a consignmnet shop. Now I love Jane's posts about fashion-she has a lot of knowlege that I don't. I just felt she should realize most of us will never bargain shop in Paris-at least not more then once in our lifetime.

I totally agree. Their women's t-shirts ARE cheep!

I buy formals when they are clearanced and under $30 each...hubby is an Army Captain, and with all the formal stuff we have to do every year, I try to add two or three as I catch them. Then I pick which two I want to take along for the cruise. I have one I paid $15 for at a closeout store...it's a black tuxedo dress, long skirt, double breasted jacket with satin collar and satin bell cuggs on the sleeves. Very nice!

I put a layaway on at WalMart when the summer stuff comes out with new T shirts, socks, and basic stuff. I don't buy pants or dress clothes there, but the tshirts, tanks, and such are fine. That's about $40 total

Khakis and dress stuff I try to add to a bit from my work wardrobe, but I am very frugal when it comes to that. $50 max on those add ons. I bought two $119 dresses at a store closing for $12 each this year! They are great, and will work for various things all summer long!

We get hubby's cargo shorts at Dick's Sporting Goods in February for about $10 each... $30

I spend usually less than $200 for cruising stuff. I am cheap, but choosy...go figure. I love great finds! I haven't been able to bring myself to buy myself clothes at the thrift stores, but it's amazing what you can find houseware wise! I have a thing about clothes being worn by other people. It's weird...I know.

Hubby's formal wear is already taken care of, dress blues one night, and suit on the next formal night. :)

Stef

I buy my husbands weekend clothes and the kids stuff from Old Navy. The kids clothes are indestructable and a pair Old Navy baby overalls here is about the go through their 4th boy. I buy their jeans and love them. That said I don't like stuff emblazened across my chest so T-shirts with stuff on them are out for me. I do sometimes buy white T's there for the price.

I buy my husbands weekend clothes and the kids stuff from Old Navy. The kids clothes are indestructable and a pair Old Navy baby overalls here is about the go through their 4th boy. I buy their jeans and love them. That said I don't like stuff emblazened across my chest so T-shirts with stuff on them are out for me. I do sometimes buy white T's there for the price.

Hon I am a 50 year old woman. I NEVER wear tee shirts with cr&*p emblazened across them-not even to a ball park-I am WAY too old for that. You young gals can get away with stuff like that but not me- you know what they say there's no fool like an old fool. I sure don't want people calling me an "old fool" behind my back.

I was talking about nice tee shirts-the kind that you can wear with capris, khaki skirts, skorts and that can even be dressed up a bit with a blazer on top of it. To me anything that is knit ,does not buttom up or zip to put on, that you put on over your head, and does not have a collar on it is a tee shirt.

As I have said every time I have bought one of these in Old Navy-the first wash and they lose their shape-nothing looks worse to me then that-so yes that $8 -$10 price tag seemed good until I washed it. I would much rather spend $25-$30 at Marshalls for one -that I will get at least 2 seasons of wear out of-sometimes more.

I am not much of a blue jeans girl. I do wear jeans when it is cold -mostly when cleaning house-I put on slacks when I go out-so Old Navy won't entice me in there to buy that.

I love Old Navy Jeans, dressy pants, capris, fleeces and jackets!!!! I cant fit in their girl shirts :rolleyes: They say xlarge but uh x large on who??? I buy the mens xlarge fleeces and jackets. Their womens pants fit me really good though...go figure. Ive had a pair of black dressy pants from their for 4 years. They are awesome (too big now though) and look brand new but then again I get all my nice stuff dry cleaned and dont wash it

And $100 for a belt is hardly a bargain...EVER :rolleyes: If I pay 20 bucks for a belt thats alot.

And $100 for a belt is hardly a bargain...EVER :rolleyes: If I pay 20 bucks for a belt thats alot.

My point- I don't buy $100 belts either. I don't care if the belt was $450 to begin with-(could not prove it by me-I had never heard of the designer-but since that designer is so beyond my income-no wonder) $100 for a belt is out of my income range.

I would not of thought anyone would pay $450 for a belt outside of Elizabeth Taylor or the late Princess Diana maybe. Even a $100 for a belt I would think only someone with an income of $250,000 a year or more would do that.

I just thought it funny for her to post that I guess- when most of us here-though we like to cruise- are still in the "clipping coupons" crowd of gals.

My point- I don't buy $100 belts either. I don't care if the belt was $450 to begin with-(could not prove it by me-I had never heard of the designer-but since that designer is so beyond my income-no wonder) $100 for a belt is out of my income range.

I would not of thought anyone would pay $450 for a belt outside of Elizabeth Taylor or the late Princess Diana maybe. Even a $100 for a belt I would think only someone with an income of $250,000 a year or more would do that.

I just thought it funny for her to post that I guess- when most of us here-though we like to cruise- are still in the "clipping coupons" crowd of gals.

I don't think Jane meant anything bad by her post. Her career is in the fashion industry so she must wear the best. She also lives in NY City, which is the fashion capital of the U.S. Of course, her taste and style is going to be different from mine (live in Alabama), but I think she gives great advice on fashion and really does try to help. I just wanted you know know a little about her so you'd try to understand why she said what she said. ;) I have friends that live right here in Alabama that wouldn't blink at paying $100 for a belt. However, I'm not one of them because I can't afford it.

Jane, I hope you don't mind me saying that about you. I promise I'm not trying to speak for you.

Some poeple can afford more, some less... however everyone can relate to making your purchases go as far as possible. I think it would be a hoot to go second hand clothing shopping in Paris.. How awesome would that be?? Of course they would not have soze 12/14 US but still : ) Pariesian women are so thin. It can be equally fun to shop in thrift stores in small town US if you know what you are looking for.

Some poeple can afford more, some less... however everyone can relate to making your purchases go as far as possible. I think it would be a hoot to go second hand clothing shopping in Paris.. How awesome would that be?? Of course they would not have soze 12/14 US but still : ) Pariesian women are so thin. It can be equally fun to shop in thrift stores in small town US if you know what you are looking for.

Yes, it would be fun to thrift store shop in Paris. I'm sure that would be the only place I could afford over there...LOL! I wonder what the size difference in from U.S. sizes??? I'm a 10/12 here, but I bet I'd be a 16 easy there.

I put a layaway on at WalMart when the summer stuff comes out with new T shirts, socks, and basic stuff. I don't buy pants or dress clothes there, but the tshirts, tanks, and such are fine. That's about $40 total

There can actually be some pretty good dress clothes and pants at Wal-mart. I found jeans there once for $3 each that lasted for years (and I wear jeans almost everyday). However, I do think that Target has dressier clothes or Penneys when they have a sale.

I don't think Jane meant anything bad by her post. Her career is in the fashion industry so she must wear the best. She also lives in NY City, which is the fashion capital of the U.S. Of course, her taste and style is going to be different from mine (live in Alabama), but I think she gives great advice on fashion and really does try to help. I.

Well said! Just from a work perspective working in NYC you are expected to look your best and up to date. (and yes your personal appearance can affect your working career) since Jane works in fashion she is really under pressure to look good! I know quite a few people who would not blink a eye at a $450 dollar belt/bag and make way less than 100K a year. Would I do it - no not for me I would hunt around until I found something much cheaper but I do appreciate hearing about different places or deals.

I always wear nice clothes from Department Stores. My secret is that I do not pay the department stores prices.:D

I usually shop during the end of the season clearance sales when their trying to get rid of everything.

At Macy's, Hecht's, Gap, and Foley's I have bought both summer and winter clothing for less than $30.00. In February I got winter slacks from Macy's & the Gap for $6-25 when these winter slacks were oringinally between $40-100.

People always think I spend a fortune on my clothes and I tell them SALE OR CLEARANCE RACK. My philosophy is if it is not on sale or the clearance rack, then I do not buy. I love nice clothes, but I make sure that I get them for a lesser price.

Deparment stores are my best friend during sales. A sale along with a store coupon also helps. It is amazing how much you save when you combine a coupon with a sale.

People always think I spend a fortune on my clothes and I tell them SALE OR CLEARANCE RACK. My philosophy is if it is not on sale or the clearance rack, then I do not buy. I love nice clothes, but I make sure that I get them for a lesser price.

Deparment stores are my best friend during sales. A sale along with a store coupon also helps. It is amazing how much you save when you combine a coupon with a sale.

Thou shalt not pay retail, that's my philosophy! :)

Stef

Hi,

Everyone is talking about bargains and saving money on this link and I also am a big fan of the bargain. I also understand Janes point of view as I have spent some big $ on stuff others might find silly or overpriced. So, my question is...who out there is brave enough to admit to the purchase they spent the MOST on. The thing they adore, that they had to have despite it being full price or a bit beyond the budget. I for one have a $250.00 purse . I use it every day, it is a name brand and I adore it!!

I had a friend who felt the same way about thrift store shopping until she saw and expose' on a national news show that showed the type of microscopic organisms and chemicals that can be found on "new clothes". I get the "willies" trying on new items now! YUCK

I paid $120 for a pair of black evening shoes. I was in Chicago for work and forgot to bring evening shoes for a black tie event I was attending. Went into Marshall Fields and found the a pair of black satin mules that made my size 10 look like an eight. Considering they are 3" high they are some of my most comfortable evening shoes (especially when standing around for an hour at a cocktail reception.) Whenever I wear them I get compliements

i have boght my whole wardrobe all new clothes for 200$

i went to dillards for leftover dresses from new years 20-24 each

i got 3 high quality t-shirts 1.00 each

i got 4 pairs capris 2.00 each

3 bathing suits 16.00 each great quality ones

3 pair pants 3.00

4 dress shirts 4.00

this will be my biggest tips for formals always search bridal warehouses for their floor samples i have seen tons of them going for 5-15 dollars.

also i try to always shop 1 season ahead!

Well I have never spent $250 on a purse but I did once spend $125 for a Aigner purse-I had that thing for like 15 years and it still looked good. I also spent about the same amount on a pair of boots which I had forever until I got sick of them. I bought once one of those Lee Sands eel skin purses from QVC and paid around $50-$75 for it. It did not "last forever" as the sales pitch said-though I did carry it for around 3 years-after that it was just too worn looking so I got rid of it.

I agree that for something that is a classic it is worth paying extra money for it as you get years of service from this stuff-I will even buy like a nice woman's suit at a consignment shop and don't mind paying $50-$75 for something like that if it is a classic not trendy style and a good name brand.

I would never spend a lot of money on something trendy- as a year or 2 later you are embarrassed to wear it. (Like the legging pants-no one wants to be seen in those any more.)

I don't like to spend lots of money on formal wear for cruises. I will spend around $50-$75 for something on sale if I love it. I did once spend $200 on a gown (decided that was stupid for no more often then I wear formal stuff and I always want something new each cruise) but I also spent $8 on another that was on clearance at Marshalls (It was missing a button above the zipper in the back to go with the loop- that was why it was so cheap.-I think I bought a card of buttons to replace that one button at Walmart for a $1.25)

Archived