Eating gluten-free on Celebrity- please share!

RedSox5

I too, am now gluten free. Upcoming TA cruise will be my first. Celebrity has been notified and I will monitor what I eat. Still have mess ups from time to time and just have to deal with it.

Thanks for the tip about the head waiter...:)

RedSox5. I am new to this whole thing too. My son has only been for 4 months, and about 2 months for me. We went on the cruise only a few weeks after my son's diagnosis. We were not going to let that stop us, and we are sure glad we went on with life!

I am not one to want to call attention to myself either and don't want to be a "difficult customer". I have certainly found though that politely telling someone "I have some food allergies, is it possible to talk with a manager about some options for me?" is really the best way to handle it in a restaurant. I have found that in general the food servers are of a much lower calibur as the managers (head waiters). It is going to be certain frustration trying to explain everything to someone who is not familiar with GF needs. Hopefully by the time someone makes it to manager, they are better experienced to handle it.

Of course there are also times when the manager looks at me like they have no idea what I am talking about, in which case I order a plain salad, no crutons with olive oil and lemons. You are always taking a chance that your allergy needs are going to be properly communicated to the kitchen.

I am sure things will go well and you will wonder when you return what all the worry was about.

Hi-

I have found a great deal of helpful information on the boards about eating gluten free while cruising, and particularly while cruising on a Celebrity ship. This will be my 8th cruise, but my first since finding out that I must eat a gluten-free diet.

I know the general information- that the cruise line prepares special gluten-free meals in the dining room, but that at the buffet I'm on my own and must pick and choose carefully (which I'm ok with).

Just wondering if anyone that has to eat gluten free has any recent experiences on Celebrity and can offer me greater detail about your specific experience? I suppose I'm just curious in general what it's like. ;)

Thanks in advance!

We just got back from a week on Solstice. They had a basket of Gluten Free bread on the bread table in the cafe every day (and night). Nice.

• 3 years later...

I have sailed on Carnival, NCL, RCCL and Celebrity. I feel that RCCL and Celebrity were the best as far as the Gluten Free diet - especially Celebrity. You need to let Celebrity know you need a GF diet. On the day of your arrival make sure you see the Maitre'd to confirm. At dinner the first night make sure your waiter is aware of your diet. You will get the menu for the next day every evening. They do their best to make you something similar to what is on the menu for everyone... I NEVER have had a problem with Celebrity and have cruised with them over 10 times....:)