Cabot Trail On Your Own (not tours) From Sydney, NS

Hello,

I'm very interested in hearing from fellow cruisers that have attempted the Cabot Trail using a rental car from Sydney, NS.

Not interested in Baddeck or elsewhere, just Cabot Trail. Given that I have 8am-5pm to work with...

- how far did you get along the trail?

- any particular spot that was a highlight?

any feedback is appreciated.

thanks in advance. cheers.

Here is an informative description of the trail:

http://seniortravel.about.com/od/canadatravel/a/CabotTrailTips.htm

You will need at least five hours for the trail. You also need time to rent your car, get on the road and get to the beginning of the trail from Sydney (an hour, maybe less). You will need time at the end to get back to Sydney and return your car.

You will not have much time to stop. So it is doable, but get good maps:

https://novascotia.com/en/home/planatrip/travel_guides/default.aspx

and hope you do not have car problems.

If you are coming in September, I would suggest you visit Louisbourg which is much closer to Sydney and is amazing. Leave Cape Breton for a land trip. Nova Scotia is a wonderful place for scenery, history, and friendly people.

If you are coming after October 15 then it may be worth driving around the trail as Louisbourg will be closed (or only partially open) and there will be less chance of traffic on the trail.

We drove around it in late October two years ago (over two days) and the scenery was wonderful. We have driven it many times, but almost always stop for a scenic walk (Skyline Trail) or whale watching, etc.

thanks maryann,

i did louisbourg last fall so this time (april) i wanted to do part of the trail. i'm not planning on completing the loop, i know i don't have the time for that.

i was more trying to get an idea from fellow cruisers how far they comfortably ventured out on their own(clockwise or counter-clockwise)

thanks for that bit on the "feeder" part of the rte (from sydney to start of the trial). I'll have to account for 2 hrs total for that.

I love all the trail, but the section leading to Cheticamp is my favourite. If that is as far as you go, you may have time to visit the rug hooking coop in Cheticamp. Their hooking is famous. This is an Acadian area (French speaking, but they all speak English), and there are some restaurants which feature seafood and Acadian food in the village.

If you drive much past Cheticamp then you will be half way around and may as well continue.

• 2 months later...
The Cabot Trail is on Cape Breton Island which is part of Nova Scotia. PEI is Prince Edward Island, a nearby province.

Ok, thanks. It seems like there is a lot to do from Sydney.

• 2 weeks later...

Do anyone know of a Tour Co. that would pick you up at your ship in Sydney and take to to either the French River or Cheticamp then back to the ship in time for your departure? We're in port from 8 - 5 so approx. 7 hours to tour.

Thanks, Som

Archived