rental car drop off Port of Ft. Lauderdale

Slyfox16

Does anyone know which rental car companies have an office near the port in Ft. Lauderdale and will drop you off at the pier? Really appreciate any help.

Thanks, Amy

Budget has a location on the 17th st causeway about 3/4 mile to the north entrance to the pier and they have shuttle service-- just check the budget site to locate the exact location-

I believe all of the rental companies at the RCC (Rental Car Center) at the airport participate in the free shuttle program-- Alamo, Avis, Budget, Dollar, Enterprise, E-Z Rent A Car, Hertz, Payless, National, Royal, Thrifty. We used it on our last trip.

I've wondered what would prevent someone coming in on an arriving flight from taking the free shuttle to the RCC, then getting on a free shuttle to the port, or vice versa. You'd have to tip twice and it takes longer, but for someone looking to save a few bucks, I didn't see anything (other than a sense of ethics) that would prevent it.

I believe all of the rental companies at the RCC (Rental Car Center) at the airport participate in the free shuttle program-- Alamo, Avis, Budget, Dollar, Enterprise, E-Z Rent A Car, Hertz, Payless, National, Royal, Thrifty. We used it on our last trip.

I've wondered what would prevent someone coming in on an arriving flight from taking the free shuttle to the RCC, then getting on a free shuttle to the port, or vice versa. You'd have to tip twice and it takes longer, but for someone looking to save a few bucks, I didn't see anything (other than a sense of ethics) that would prevent it.

Not all of the rental companies participate. Once we got a shuttle there and the driver was checking receipts/contracts to make sure you were renting from a participating company. I didn't have my receipt handy but he accepted the Hertz #1 Club card I had. Bottom line is to call the your rental company and see what procedures are for transport to Port Everglades - I think all will get you there one way or the other - it is only about a mile away.

As for trying to use that route for transport to the pier when not renting - I'd rather just take a cab for the $15 or so fare - the pier is a short ride and it would take a lot longer time wise to use the rental car shuttles when you were not otherwise going to the rental center.

Not all of the rental companies participate. Once we got a shuttle there and the driver was checking receipts/contracts to make sure you were renting from a participating company. I didn't have my receipt handy but he accepted the Hertz #1 Club card I had. Bottom line is to call the your rental company and see what procedures are for transport to Port Everglades - I think all will get you there one way or the other - it is only about a mile away.

As for trying to use that route for transport to the pier when not renting - I'd rather just take a cab for the $15 or so fare - the pier is a short ride and it would take a lot longer time wise to use the rental car shuttles when you were not otherwise going to the rental center.

In our lone experience, we used a National rental to get to our precruise hotel, and on dropoff we were directed to the shuttles. We were early for the first shuttle run of the morning, and there was a bit of a crowd waiting. The driver never asked for any paperwork, possibly due to the large group waiting. I figured if you at least retuned a rental from any company at the RCC, you would be able to use the shuttle. Thanks for the additional info.

I'd also take a cab instead of taking two shuttles, but I wondered what would stop someone from doing so.

Archived