anyone ready for the Med

happy to be sailing

Anyone out there ready to head for the Med on MSC.We are on the Opera Sept 9,,Amsterdam to Venice,plus 5 extra nights in Italy.Can't wait.Hope the reviews are better by then.Am concerned about what i have been reading about MSC in general.We have done about 12 cruises and 8 have been in the Med.Can't get enough of that part of the world.1st time on MSC.Is that a mistake?

Anyone out there ready to head for the Med on MSC.We are on the Opera Sept 9,,Amsterdam to Venice,plus 5 extra nights in Italy.Can't wait.Hope the reviews are better by then.Am concerned about what i have been reading about MSC in general.We have done about 12 cruises and 8 have been in the Med.Can't get enough of that part of the world.1st time on MSC.Is that a mistake?

I can't tell you if it's a mistake or not. Really depends on your likes and dislikes. If you enjoy Italy and have experience of the way Italians do things, then you may well enjoy yourself. If you like to experience many different cultures and ways of doing things when you travel, youmay love MSC. If however you prefer the comfort of being surrounded by English speakers and familiar food, drink and customs, you will probably not enjoy MSC at all.

I've sailed the Opera 6 times and often in the med. As long as you go with an open mind and the realisation that you are not sailing on an American line catering exclusively to North American tastes and preferences, but a European line catering primarily for the Italain market. In particular, be prepared for

- no free ice water at meals. You can get annoyed about it and let ir ruin your trip or you can just buy a water package for 20 euros. You will also9 find it hard to get free ice tap water in restaurants in Italy

- be prepared for English speakers to be in the minority onboard and for 5 languages to be spoken onboard (you will be in Europe after all), As a consequence of this shore excursions may be cancelled or combined with another language group if insufficient numbers of English speakers book. At dinner however, you will be seated with people who speak English although likely to be different nationalities.

- understand that there will be few announcements to tell you what is going on - you need to read the daily programme and if you want to go to something take a note of where and when. They won't remind you

- if you want a drink around the pool or in bars, attract the waiters attention. They don't go around everyone asking if you want something, they leave you in peace unless you indicate you want served.

-there will be no buffet alternative at dinner and meal times will be later than on US lines

- room service is limited and you pay for it (except for at breakfast - continental only). Sauna and steam room also cost extra.

- food is not available 24/7. Tea and coffee are only served at breakfast and sfternoon tea. If you want it after lunch or dinner you need to go to the coffee shop or any of the bars or lounges to get it

-entretainment in the theatre is very good but is musical/visual as it needs to cater to so many different languages. Other entertainment is likely to be conducted in multiple languages. Some find this interesting or amusing, others are irritated by it.

-TV in room - there will be only a few English speaking channels - usually bloomberg and BBC world and an English channel for movies.

The Opera is a beautiful, immaculately clean medium sized ship. Hope you have a good trip and enjoy your stay on in Italy. I adored Venice when I was there lat year and I just love visiting Italy

• 3 weeks later...

Just returned yesterday, was on MSC Melody April 3-18 Genoa through Black Sea to Odessa. I had read the reviews and had some concerns, but received excellent advice from more experienced MSC cruisers ( e.g., thanks AmoMondo ) so I pretty much knew what to expect. I was in the English speaking minority but it was not a problem. The ship was in excellent condition and well-maintained. Some of the staff and passengers were simply "unresponsive" and many had a different sense of courtesy and considerateness than I have, and answers from Italian staff were almost always either inaccurate or just plain wrong, thus confusing, but that wasn't unexpected as I have been to Italy before and to Europe many times. I did not expect it to be perfect, indeed I sort of expected it to be worse than it was. On the whole I was rather happy with the cruise. For me well worth the investment.

RCI/Carnival have done a superb job of homogenizing and standardizing the cruise experience to a high standard. MSC draws from a different more particular culture (Italian) and caters to a mosaic of nationalities. You need to go into it expecting a lot more (generally insignificant) variables.

One can get a LOT of conflicting staff information. That's Italian... and usually its apparent as such. When you need something significant addressed though, if you assert yourself in a quiet, firm, and friendly way (sort of the best side of 'Americana' - or 'Canadiana') I think you'll find MSC staff very accommodating and hard working. They're used to loud pushy nationals. It conditions staff; but if you project an alternative disposition, they will too - generally. Giving desk staff a preliminary quiet moment and an understanding smile can be invaluable all around.

There are little things too that MSC doesn't get credit for, that often is not noticed. Concerning multilingual: How about the fact that each cabin has a message machine (OK no biggie there) but that MSC advance programs each message machine to the language of parties booking the room... (I realized that when a booking issue - resolved by line staff - resulted in our switching cabins on embarkation with a German couple. Our phone machines were programed english, theirs german.) Who wudda thought!:D

In my (granted singular) experience, MSC hotel/dining service staff can hold their own with HAL/X/Princess. The food is a notch lower, mainly due to inconsistency (and less sophistication) but it isn't terrible by any shape; in fact, some of the excellent highlights tended to also show up the 'hit and miss' side of it. OK - go in with that expectation, and you may be pleasantly surprised. Obtain water vouchers in advance; pay for non-breakfast coffee (generally excellent Euro brew that merits the surcharge).

MSC has 'variables' that one can obsess over negatively - or chuckle over. That's up to you. The fares can be hyper-competitive and the itineraries interesting. That speaks for itself.

Just returned yesterday, was on MSC Melody April 3-18 Genoa through Black Sea to Odessa. I had read the reviews and had some concerns, but received excellent advice from more experienced MSC cruisers ( e.g., thanks AmoMondo ) so I pretty much knew what to expect. I was in the English speaking minority but it was not a problem. The ship was in excellent condition and well-maintained. Some of the staff and passengers were simply "unresponsive" and many had a different sense of courtesy and considerateness than I have, and answers from Italian staff were almost always either inaccurate or just plain wrong, thus confusing, but that wasn't unexpected as I have been to Italy before and to Europe many times. I did not expect it to be perfect, indeed I sort of expected it to be worse than it was. On the whole I was rather happy with the cruise. For me well worth the investment.

Hi Peter

Glad to hear it worked out well for you. I'm interested in hearing more about your trip on the Melody, as I'm considering booking the same itinerary in early July, to make up for (literally) missing the boat on my Brazil repositioning trip thanks to the volcanic ash situation. I know the ship is quite old but does everything seem in reasonable condition. I've also never been to Odessa or Yalta before, what did you think of these ports? Finally I presume that with a lower number of pax than the more modern larger ships, it doesn't take too long to get on and off at ports?

Thanks

Hi Peter

Glad to hear it worked out well for you. I'm interested in hearing more about your trip on the Melody, as I'm considering booking the same itinerary in early July, to make up for (literally) missing the boat on my Brazil repositioning trip thanks to the volcanic ash situation. I know the ship is quite old but does everything seem in reasonable condition. I've also never been to Odessa or Yalta before, what did you think of these ports? Finally I presume that with a lower number of pax than the more modern larger ships, it doesn't take too long to get on and off at ports?

Thanks

Actually, the two best features were the ship itself and the itinerary.

The ship is older and modest in size, but in excellent condition and well-maintained. Whenever the ship was in port the crew were busy cleaning and painting. Seemed like there were a lot of crew, for both maintenance and service. Although the initial embarkation was chaos, the port visits all went smoothly. One of the nice features of a smaller ship is that all but one of the port calls were through docking and only one where they relied on tenders ( Sorrento ). The lifeboats were used as tenders and were all in excellent condition. I did walkabouts in every port but naturally had to wait for all the folks on excursions. I usually just stood off to the side near the gangway, and whenever there was a break in the excursion flow they would waive me through.

For me the highlights were the ship's passage through the crowded but very scenic Bosphorus Strait, and the two port calls in the Ukraine. Yalta is a smaller, seaside resort, while Odessa is more a larger, industrial port with a lot of culture. I enjoyed my walkabouts in both places, and in each case I could easily walk from the ship to the center of the city. If I had to it all over again the only thing I would do differently during the cruise would be to do the Blue Mosque excursion in Istanbul as the Mosque was just too far away to do without some advance planning ( what I heard from fellow passengers who did the excursion was that the Islamic art was simply stunning ). And what a history, Istanbul, with the oldest settlement some 8500 years ago.

My holiday was more than just the 11 day cruise, as I also had a Eurail pass and visited Munich, Innsbruck, Zurich, Milan, Genoa, Ventigmilia, and Monte Carlo, all of which was very nice, but the cruise was certainly the best part of the holiday. Overall I took some 8,200 high resolution digital photographs and I'm now busy editing and organizing, selecting the better pictures to post on one of my websites at http://imageevent.com/bels but it may be a few weeks before I start uploading, as I haven't quite finished uploading from last year's holiday.

Hope this helps.

r, peter

Thanks Peter that does help a lot. My TA confirmed today that they have got me transferred to the July sailing. I was really surprised that MSC treated it as a transfer and didn't make me forfeit my deposit. I'm really looking forward to it now.

I did the organised trip last time I was in Istanbul and the Blue Mosque is amazing. Think this time I'll just go for the tram and have a wander.

In the Ukraine, do you need to have a visa (like Russia) if you are not doing an organised tour?

I'll keep an eye out for your photos on your website. I always take loads too. So much easier when it is digital and not film. In the old days it used to cost me a fortune to get them developed when I got home.

Thanks again

Mairi

Thanks Peter that does help a lot. My TA confirmed today that they have got me transferred to the July sailing. I was really surprised that MSC treated it as a transfer and didn't make me forfeit my deposit. I'm really looking forward to it now.

I did the organised trip last time I was in Istanbul and the Blue Mosque is amazing. Think this time I'll just go for the tram and have a wander.

In the Ukraine, do you need to have a visa (like Russia) if you are not doing an organised tour?

I'll keep an eye out for your photos on your website. I always take loads too. So much easier when it is digital and not film. In the old days it used to cost me a fortune to get them developed when I got home.

Thanks again

Mairi

Hi AmoMondo

Long time no talk, nice to see you have another cruise to look forward to and believe me the Black Sea cruise is really wonderful. You can easily do Odessa on your own but I would suggest a tour in Yalta as everything is so far away and the language barrier a real problem. The history is amazing too and it would be a shame for you to miss it. You can also visit the palace where dear Winston stayed and signed the treaty.

Thanks for your backup with that other "horrible" post, it really has been beyond a joke lately hasn't it. I usually feel I will not allow myself to respond but sometimes the temptation is too great.

All the best, Judy

Thanks Judy for the advice. as for the backup with the other"problem" - no worries. Like you I come on here for info and to repay that favour my giving info. I try to to let myself be sucked in to the worst of the nonsense that occurs from time to time, but sometimes I just can't help myself!

Mairi

Mairi

I didn't need a visa for Ukraine either for tour or on my own, with a USA passport. I did need a visa for Turkey but MSC took care of that.

Glad MSC is treating you right. I may very well try another MSC, especially if it involves South Africa or the Panama Canal.

r, peter

• 2 weeks later...
I've also never been to Odessa or Yalta before, what did you think of these ports?

We were bowled over by Yalta - wonderful place (helped by a good dose of sunshine). We did not do an excursion - we just wandered around town, had paddle in the Black Sea and bar hopped for coffee and bears. Most people on board were really excited about getting a stamp in our passports as this is a rarity these days. The scenery leaving port is stunning. I'd love to go back for a full scale holiday.

Odessa - it looked a dump and this was not helped as it was cold and dark and drizzley. I could imagine the old bit of spying going on - it was just like an old black and white cold war film. But once we got out of the port and up the steps - what a wonderful surprise. A very elegant city - you could see the French influences from the C19. Again we wandered around ourselves and both haggled for the black furry russian style hats - which were a godsend in the awful winter we've had.

I am sure you will be as enchanted with both, as we were.

Thanks for the info Gelbel. wandering around is my favourite way to explore (unless it is just not safe to do so). How widely understood is English? I presume I'll have to get local currency as they won't take Euros?

Thanks

I assume you are doing Yalta first, as we did, there are loads of booths where you can change money up. So we got about €25 worth of Ukrainian money - it goes along way.

In Odessa they wanted the hard currencies when we were haggling on the streets for our hats. I can't recall seeing any places to exchange in Odessa - it may be we were not looking as we had loads of money left from Yalta.

Thanks for the info Gelbel. wandering around is my favourite way to explore (unless it is just not safe to do so). How widely understood is English? I presume I'll have to get local currency as they won't take Euros?

Thanks

hi AmoMondo, it's forbidden in Ukraine to to accept foreign currency anywhere (but you may tip with it, or pay

for something privately). In all other places you pay with hryvnas or

your credit card. You can easily change your money into hryvnas

anywhere, in restaurants, supermarkets and stores or simply on the

streets - look out for little booth with yellow and background with

the word Exchange on the top. Simply read the exchange rate, and then

put your money into a window - the woman from the other side will ask

you "vsye?" which means "all" (meaning, that you want to change the

whole bank note, or will need a change, like change only 20 from 50).

Say "da", receive your money and receipt and enjoy.

Highly recommend walking tour in the centre - a lot to see, end near

the Sobornaya cathedral, a new one, with a fountain and people

selling independent art and souvenirs.

It's very warm here, too, and plenty of foreigners on the streets -

so you will find someone speaking English for sure.

P.S. Odessa is the only place in Europe to swim with the dolphins.

Archived