Tips on avoiding build a bear on Carnival

SuperCoolOne

Yesterday in Walmart my 3 year old put random things in my cart that he wanted me to purchase for him. I kept pulling them out and saying "no, we don't need that" he asked why, I said "we have enough at home" He said he needed it, I responded "no". He didnt melt down but that is probably because he knows that it doesn't get anywhere with me.

Try just saying "no" and meaning it.

When my kids get upset about stuff like this, and start to pout, I always say "well then, I guess you are going to have to be upset" and I continue to do whatever it is I was doing and ignore them.

It's important for kids to understand that, just because they are in a candy store does not mean they get candy. (both literally and figuratively)

It's important to set limits.

My stock answer for all those types of things was "Well, their parents must love them more than I love you." Eye-rolling and eventually giggles from the little ones/teens.

That being said, my 19 year old daughter just went to Build-A-Bear, for the first time in her life. Her new boyfriend took her, and they made her do all the silly things the little kids do.

When we were on the Legend they didn't seem to make a hard sell on the bears at all. At least, not that I saw. Our son didn't know about it or ask about it, but at the end of the cruise we took him to do one as a treat since we hadn't spent any money on souvenirs or that sort of thing throughout the cruise.

Of course he was 2 1/2 so maybe there was a hard sell and it just didn't sink in.... but I sort of doubt it. It probably depends on the counselors and the ship you're on.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived