Conquest Still In Port???

parrotthead

Argh, DW and I are sailing on Conquest this coming week...one more thing to worry about...and I am the type to worry, I can't help it!

Hey JayByrd! We have a really active Roll Call group for our Conquest cruise next week. Not too late to check it out and get in on some of the activities. Just wanted to make sure you had been extended an invitation. Either way, enjoy your cruise!

Happened to us last Easter on Conquest. We left Easter Sunday, and the next Sunday when we got in, the port was closed down due to fog. We finally got in and off the ship around 2. Wasn't bad...they finally kicked us out of our cabin around 10, so we had to just sit around for a few hours.

We were on that sailing as well. however, our daughter is autistic, and they let us stay in our room until debarkation areas had started clearing out. It was nice, because we had a very large room. The problem for us was that we had already packed up everything the night before so we didn't have a lot for her to play with.

It seem there are frequent fog issues there. Am I mistaken in that assumption or do I just seem to read the threads where it is a problem?

The weather this winter/early spring has been very strange. It is not usually this consistent. We do occasionally have fog, but it usually burns off much earlier in the mornings by 9 or 10, but with the milder temps, it has been staying longer.

but then again, most of the continent has had strange weather patterns this year.

This made me chuckle. :p I totally get how it happened, but amazed CC caught the typo in the middle of a word and poofed it. :D

Trying to think of a few other innocent situations that would cause the same. :)

Our friends Carolyn and Don were on this cruise.

She called me when they got to their car and it was 7PM central time...

(they did not do self assist) :eek:

An article about the mess yesterday. http://www.galvnews.com/story.lasso?ewcd=38c5f4a06c40a7c0

I was on the Voyager yesterday and the fog made for a long day.

This article says that Carnival let everyone off at once. Didn't we have a previous poster from the ship telling us how far apart they were letting the groups off?

On the cruisecam yesterday one of the porters was saying that they got sent home. That could have been a huge part of the prob, but it is not listed in the article.

Also, John Heald had said in his blog that there were alot of foreign nationals onboard. I bet that is what the longest part of the wait was about.

An article about the mess yesterday. http://www.galvnews.com/story.lasso?ewcd=38c5f4a06c40a7c0

I was on the Voyager yesterday and the fog made for a long day.

The First thing I noticed about this article was the picture at the top of the story, it states the womans name who took the picture "Inside the Customs area"...

Funny thing: There are signs posted all over that there are "No Pictures allowed in this area"

Hmmm, wonder if this could be a probem for the lady who took it and is idintified in the aritcle as the photographer....

Just something I noticed....:confused:

It also said "Lack of Customs officials" but said there were 7 lines, isnt that what there always are?

Still in all, a very long day for those involved.

We have only cruised once out of Galveston and it was the WORST debarkation we have ever experienced in our 8 cruises... whether they need more agents or people need to listen to the CD when he calls decks.. I dunno.. :rolleyes:

anyone else wonder why neither of those articles (ok, really, they're both approximately the same article), mention that the RCL voyager was also delayed and had similar problems due to the fog?

i wonder what's up with that... :rolleyes:

Worrying won't change a thing except for your enjoyment of the cruise. Relax and go with the flow. :)

You're right, of course :) I was more thinking of what a miserable embarkation day this would be...if it happened on the way home it would be far less of a hassle for us (we don't fly out until Monday morning).

Worst case scenario is it makes for a long day/evening at the terminal. And even if that does happen, once we finally board, it won't matter anymore :)

anyone else wonder why neither of those articles (ok, really, they're both approximately the same article), mention that the RCL voyager was also delayed and had similar problems due to the fog?

i wonder what's up with that... :rolleyes:

Kind of interesting huh?

the part about Carnival letting everyone off at once is an absolute lie

they called self assist 1-4 around 5ish I think and then it took several hours before they called any more numbers, and then at least an hour between each group after that. John (cruise director) kept announcing that customs was shutting down the line and making them wait

once they got to our # (non-self assist #22) THEN they called for everyone else, I think mainly just to get us off and the other people on but that was hours and hours after debarkation began and there weren't many of us left on board at that point anyway. There were only about 50 people in line to get off the ship behind my husband and I.

Once we got into the terminal we saw the HUGE lines of people still waiting. It was insane. The people who got to their car by 7 pm were lucky. I think it was about 10:30-11 before we got to ours and then we drove home. Got to Ft. Worth at 4 am and I had to come into work today (got here about 11, don't think I achieved much but I was here at least)

I really feel that Carnival did absolutely everything they could in the situation. They had the burger station open for lunch & dinner and then opened the buffet around 8ish when we were still on board. The crew was trying to smile through it all, I know they were totally exhausted.

The customs people, I'm not so sure about. I had to wonder if they were getting double overtime for the holiday as they seemed to be going as slow as possible!

Same crap as last year. There were maybe 4 customs agents in the Royal Car. Terminal & probably the same in Carnivals. It IS a holiday and with all the foreign nationals on-board no wonder it took a long time. We learned last year that Easter, whether it be the week before or the week after, is not a good time to cruise. :(

Just saw a report on the local CBS station here in Houston. They tooare reporting that Carnival let all pax off at the same time...and they mentioned nothing about the RCI ship also being delayed. :confused:

Yes, they also stated they they got their info from an upset passenger, so perhaps they didn't even know about the voyager, nor did they attempt to contact Carnival to verify the account they were given.

Seems like shoddy reporting to me

I sent them an email telling them their account is incorrect and they should listen to more that upset ppl.

Yes, they also stated they they got their info from an upset passenger, so perhaps they didn't even know about the voyager, nor did they attempt to contact Carnival to verify the account they were given.

Seems like shoddy reporting to me

I sent them an email telling them their account is incorrect and they should listen to more that upset ppl.

That feedback is constructive for sure...I will do the same.

Have you heard any other local stations' reports? I usually watch 13 (for those not local that is the ABC affiliate)...but by chance had it on KHOU at 5pm today and caught their report. Shoddy indeed!

Thanks pinkbarbie :)

That feedback is constructive for sure...I will do the same.

Have you heard any other local stations' reports? I usually watch 13 (for those not local that is the ABC affiliate)...but by chance had it on KHOU at 5pm today and caught their report. Shoddy indeed!

Thanks pinkbarbie :)

No. I think they were the only ones reporting on it. I'll watch at ten though.

i love the way they had the person's name on the pic, and they didn't even send anyone down to try and find out what really happened.

the part about Carnival letting everyone off at once is an absolute lie

they called self assist 1-4 around 5ish I think and then it took several hours before they called any more numbers, and then at least an hour between each group after that. John (cruise director) kept announcing that customs was shutting down the line and making them wait

once they got to our # (non-self assist #22) THEN they called for everyone else, I think mainly just to get us off and the other people on but that was hours and hours after debarkation began and there weren't many of us left on board at that point anyway. There were only about 50 people in line to get off the ship behind my husband and I.

Once we got into the terminal we saw the HUGE lines of people still waiting. It was insane. The people who got to their car by 7 pm were lucky. I think it was about 10:30-11 before we got to ours and then we drove home. Got to Ft. Worth at 4 am and I had to come into work today (got here about 11, don't think I achieved much but I was here at least)

I really feel that Carnival did absolutely everything they could in the situation. They had the burger station open for lunch & dinner and then opened the buffet around 8ish when we were still on board. The crew was trying to smile through it all, I know they were totally exhausted.

The customs people, I'm not so sure about. I had to wonder if they were getting double overtime for the holiday as they seemed to be going as slow as possible!

Glad you got home safely, Bless you hearts driving back last night. Your a better employee then I am, I would have called yesterday "yeah, sorry, Im not making it tomorrow" ;) :p

AND, Thanks for the live updates and the 'insiders' view and information, very interesting.

I also commend you for stating that Carnival did what they could and complimenting the staff for their smiles and service.

(that speaks volumes for You) :)

Hope the rest of your cruise was Wonderful!

Thats what I figured too. Esp since we had it on good authority (our own "inside reoprter" - dlbaqua) of what was really going on.

And the upset px they got their info from, took the picture Inside the Customs Area...~which is aginst the law~. (according to all the Big Signs posted all over in the terminal) :mad:

Good for you!

KHOU actually replied in an email asking if I had been on the ship and said that they got their info from the port police. i have rarely seen the port police in the times I've been on either Galveston ship. So why were they the ones contacted?

KHOU actually replied in an email asking if I had been on the ship and said that they got their info from the port police. i have rarely seen the port police in the times I've been on either Galveston ship. So why were they the ones contacted?

Hmmm, are they kidding?

Port Police said Carnival did little else then kick px out of their cabins and let everyone off at the same time with out calling numbers/decks.

Yeah, right, I believe them, dont you :rolleyes:

Archived